Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-22-2014, 11:03 PM   #1
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The Last Ship TV Series: TNT

The Last Ship

After a pandemic kills or sickens over half of the world's population, the crew of an unaffected U.S. Navy ship must try to find a cure to save humanity.

The Last Ship is an American post-apocalyptic drama television series that is based on a novel of the same name by William Brinkley. In May 2013, the cable network TNT placed a 10-episode order for the series.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to To Be Quite Honest For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2014, 08:38 AM   #2
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

It was pretty meh to me, I mean any show that has Adam Baldwin in it gets a big plus from me, but overall it was just not all that exciting, plus, the worst combat ready crew in the Navy.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:47 PM   #3
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was a standard first episode. Nothing to write home about but it wasn't terrible.
Acting was good, writing was above average. This seems like a more realistic contamination version of Helix from the SYFY network.

USA is the only country that can save the world. *eye roll* This is the only part that annoys me, but it is the first episode so I'm not going to judge it on that just yet.

Good watch if your into post apocalyptic shows and not a big time investment as it's only 10 episodes.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:12 AM   #4
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I watched it last night online at http://www.space.ca/TheLastShip.aspx

I liked it enough. Yes, you have to get past the fact that US has to save the day. And there are a few little plot holes. If you can get past the holes in Walking Dead, you'll be fine here. I will be PVRing it.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:17 PM   #5
Ben_in_Canada
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I can't help but feel that they got this idea from a Simpsons episode...
Ben_in_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ben_in_Canada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2014, 03:09 AM   #6
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Second episode and the story gets deeper along with the danger... Having trouble with the spy angle. I don't think it needs to be there, but the suspense and action are well done.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:40 AM   #7
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, I enjoyed the second episode a lot more then the first one, you can see the conflict coming between XO and Captain. We'll probably start seeing the crew split off.

I agree that the spy thing is probably a little too much, but it has to be there.

I did like the mercenary, he's the psycho character.

Its not a bad show.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:20 PM   #8
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:
Default The Last Ship - New TV Show

Anyone watching this? I actually really like it. If you can get past the fact that Micheal Bay is involved it is actually a good popcorn show.

Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:31 PM   #9
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fata

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=137947
Old 07-14-2014, 06:35 PM   #10
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I've enjoyed it, but any series with Jane in it gets a 20% quality boost in my books. There are parts of it that drive me crazy from a technical point of view, but its solid tv.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:08 PM   #11
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Merged the threads- thought there was more unique posts.

CC- what are some of the technical issues? (Aside from them using parachutes as sails; giving them 4 knots of speed.)

Edit- also what's with the water shortage? They said they had 3000 gallons and there are 200 crew members. Given the "sea water only shaves", that is 15 gallons per person per day. In 100 degree heat I can see going through a gallon per day, which should give them 2 weeks; not 3 days.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:01 PM   #12
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Merged the threads- thought there was more unique posts.

CC- what are some of the technical issues? (Aside from them using parachutes as sails; giving them 4 knots of speed.)

Edit- also what's with the water shortage? They said they had 3000 gallons and there are 200 crew members. Given the "sea water only shaves", that is 15 gallons per person per day. In 100 degree heat I can see going through a gallon per day, which should give them 2 weeks; not 3 days.
One of the biggest was the first one when the Russian helicopters attacked the ship, and were gunning missiles at it from a length of less then a football field. First of all the ship took minimal damage, second of all, if they were unidentified even, or unidentified hostile they would have been dead pretty much over the horizon.

I'm assuming that they use water for systems cooling including the engines. 3000 gallons isn't that much.

In the episode where the Russian ship appeared and spoofed as a British ship. No commander worth his salt would have believed that without positive electronic signature identification. At the very least they would have lofted the helicopter to do a inspection flight (They still have the helcopter iirc.

Its just little things but it bugs me.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2014, 04:02 AM   #13
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Yeah so far no likey, really has potential story wise but for me the actors in the show are just very unlikable.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:25 PM   #14
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

This episode really felt like an hour long spot for the US Navy and, because of it, I found myself chuckling pretty hard in a lot of scenes. Very forced, typical and boring. Great way to get government funding for a show is to sell the massive patriot card so it's going to be expected.

Adam Baldwin has gotten HUGE. I mean he has always been a big guy but his arms are pro wrestler big.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:53 AM   #15
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Has anybody else kept up with the show? I had been recording it and finally got to the end last night. Each episode pretty much had a conclusion; in fact I accidentally skipped an episode and it didn't affect me being able to follow the story line. (The one where they went to get monkeys for testing. The last one I saw they needed to go, then I saw the one after where they had just gotten back.)

They had a few main characters die off, which kept you guessing a bit. And then the ending was a nice twist that I really wasn't expecting.

I'll keep the specifics out unless a bunch of us are all caught up- don't want to spoil it for anybody. Repeats started up again this week.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:14 PM   #16
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Signed for a season two.

I did like the show and thought it was solidly written and acted.

There were some very good plot lines, though I will admit that I saw the cliff hanger episode coming about two miles away.

I was waiting for some kind of mutiny episode with Baldwin since he's always been a better villian then hero.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:11 PM   #17
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Signed for a season two.

I was waiting for some kind of mutiny episode with Baldwin since he's always been a better villain then hero.
That isn't going to happen. The Navy are good people and they paid good money to be the topic on this show. Each Navy officer will be above board and completely predictable do gooders. Even the current Government is "bad", but not the Navy...

The show is what it is. It's a Michael Bay no depth in the characters Michael Bay production produced by Michael Bay. Michael Bay.

I will admit, there is a place for these no thinking popcorn eating shows and I enjoy them when the time is right. I'm not trying to hate on it just to hate. I just wish the show had more depth in the characters because it would look a lot less like a Navy recruiting tool then.

Last edited by To Be Quite Honest; 08-31-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:51 PM   #18
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

next season should focus around the dog

He was once the best of the best, a Naval Guard Dog who didn't have time for rules and regulations, until he bit his ship's Captain. Now the only rating he can hold is ships mascot.

But when evil conspirators seize his ship, he's going to show them who the Alpha dog is because someone's been a baaaad dog.

The Ship Season 2 - Under Leash

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2014, 01:24 PM   #19
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
next season should focus around the dog

He was once the best of the best, a Naval Guard Dog who didn't have time for rules and regulations, until he bit his ship's Captain. Now the only rating he can hold is ships mascot.

But when evil conspirators seize his ship, he's going to show them who the Alpha dog is because someone's been a baaaad dog.

The Ship Season 2 - Under Leash

"Hey Pirates, you just messed with the grandson of...":

Spoiler!
The Following User Says Thank You to To Be Quite Honest For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2014, 01:37 PM   #20
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

btw, I hate hearing that frackin theme song because I suddenly have to go and cut onions.