Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-07-2016, 01:08 PM   #41
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Veganomicon is a great cookery book. Vegetarian is very, very easy as you will include eggs, cheese, milk etc. Vegan is much the better way to live. Our diet is very balanced, clean and fresh. Just so you know tofu doesn't have any flavour but it DOES absorb fully all the flavours you add to the dish. Isa Chandra Moskowitz has a recipe online for the BEST tofu scramble. Full of protein too. You should try Hearts Choices on Macleod Trail (by Southland Drive). It is a Thai restaurant and has an enormous range of faux meats. Gardein products are amazing too. My husband, in his late 50's, has been vegan for 4 years now and looks and feels fantastic (in my opinion!!).

Good luck. PM me if you have any questions.
Suzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:08 PM   #42
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lentils are pretty good for protein and iron. They can be mixed in with soups for good results

This is also an ok book http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...ing_Vegetarian
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:09 PM   #43
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Ok, I'm bumping this thread.

It's been on my mind lately, and my younger brother brought it up yesterday so we were discussing it. We're thinking of at least trying a vegetarian route minus anything taken from the wild. This is a morality-based thing, not a health thing. I never thought I'd be one of these people. We are carnivorous, have been eating meat for thousands of years, and I love the taste of pretty much any type of meat. But we've gotten to the point where we just can't ignore the way these things are being farmed. This is why I make a caveat for wild meat. My family has always had hunters, my Dad does it every year. Ethically, I have no problem taking an animal from the wild and using every piece we can. I don't want this to turn into a debate on the merits of vegetarianism, the ethics behind it, or how less manly I am for thinking about this.

What I want is ideas. We were brainstorming what we could eat and were having a tough time coming up with tasty ideas, mostly in the hot food domain. So my questions are:

Good breakfasts? - Love myself a hot breakfast with some eggs and sausage. The sausage can be wild, just wondering what veggies do for hot breaky meals.

Packed lunches? - What can I bring to work outside of veggies and dip that can keep me going throughout the day? Trying to avoid breads and carbs too.

Dinners? - I like curries, so doing a veggie curry/pasta sauce will likely become a staple. What can I add to it that will give it a protein boost? Kind of want to avoid tofu too, for taste reasons.

Any help would be great. Thanks!
We buy our meat from ethical sources that we know the animals are being treated well. Is your moral issue that they're being treated badly and living horrible lives (ie. farmed and mass produced), or is it that they're being raised for the sole purpose of being eaten?

As long as the animals have good lives and are free to roam and are fed well etc., that's what we care about. We buy our meat directly from the farmers around Calgary.

Just wanted to share that thought. If you are opposed to raising animals for slaughter period, then obviously that doesn't work for you.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:14 PM   #44
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Packed lunches? - What can I bring to work outside of veggies and dip that can keep me going throughout the day? Trying to avoid breads and carbs too.

Dinners? - I like curries, so doing a veggie curry/pasta sauce will likely become a staple. What can I add to it that will give it a protein boost? Kind of want to avoid tofu too, for taste reasons.

I like to make jarred salads for lunches throughout the week. I use big mason jars because I can put everything in them on Sunday, and they're still fresh at the end of the week, you just have to lair it properly. I find with tupperware everything wilts. I pack salads with tons of greens, and either feta cheese or some kind of protein because if I just eat vegetables at lunch I'm out of energy around 2:00 in the afternoon.

Curries are awesome and a really good few substitutes for meat I like to use in them are potato, lentils and cauliflower. I'm not fully vegetarian, but I do substitute meat quite often. Another interesting thing to try that I just discovered in the last year is Yves Veggie Ground Round. I was hugely skeptical about trying it, but it was actually really good and was a terrific substitute for ground beef. They sell it in the produce section. Give it a try if you're feeling brave. I still haven't been able to develop a taste for tofu yet, but I'm working on it.

Good luck!
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:18 PM   #45
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
We buy our meat from ethical sources that we know the animals are being treated well. Is your moral issue that they're being treated badly and living horrible lives (ie. farmed and mass produced), or is it that they're being raised for the sole purpose of being eaten?
We do too, only certified humane meat. More & more though I'm finding I can't stomach eating meat. As soon as I think about what it is I'm eating I lose my appetite. I can have things like chicken and fish, but only if it's cut up and mixed in with something else. I can't just eat a chicken breast like a steak anymore, it grosses me out. A few years ago a good steak was one of my favourite things to eat, and now I haven't been able to eat beef in almost a year.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:18 PM   #46
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzles View Post
Veganomicon is a great cookery book. Vegetarian is very, very easy as you will include eggs, cheese, milk etc. Vegan is much the better way to live. Our diet is very balanced, clean and fresh. Just so you know tofu doesn't have any flavour but it DOES absorb fully all the flavours you add to the dish. Isa Chandra Moskowitz has a recipe online for the BEST tofu scramble. Full of protein too. You should try Hearts Choices on Macleod Trail (by Southland Drive). It is a Thai restaurant and has an enormous range of faux meats. Gardein products are amazing too. My husband, in his late 50's, has been vegan for 4 years now and looks and feels fantastic (in my opinion!!).

Good luck. PM me if you have any questions.
Yeah, I know tofu doesn't have a taste officially, but I'm not a fan of the combination of meat flavor and the consistency of tofu. Like eating chicken pudding. I don't mind tofu for a dessert-type thing as it's more like a custard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post

As long as the animals have good lives and are free to roam and are fed well etc., that's what we care about. We buy our meat directly from the farmers around Calgary.

Just wanted to share that thought. If you are opposed to raising animals for slaughter period, then obviously that doesn't work for you.
Yeah it's the horrible lives thing. I can't enjoy bacon/pork, chicken or beef anymore. Red meat isn't much of a concern, as noted above, we eat wild meat which is largely venison, elk, moose, etc... What's the cost of ethical chicken and/or pork vs not. I'm likely fine with the increase. Do you go directly to the farm or are there places that sell it in town (farmers market, I guess? Which ones?). Don't really eat much pork as is, but chicken is a pretty big staple. I would assume the eggs from such a place would be fine as well?
Old 03-07-2016, 01:19 PM   #47
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
We do too, only certified humane meat.
Totally read that too quick.

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ClubFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2016, 01:31 PM   #48
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah it's the horrible lives thing. I can't enjoy bacon/pork, chicken or beef anymore. Red meat isn't much of a concern, as noted above, we eat wild meat which is largely venison, elk, moose, etc... What's the cost of ethical chicken and/or pork vs not. I'm likely fine with the increase. Do you go directly to the farm or are there places that sell it in town (farmers market, I guess? Which ones?). Don't really eat much pork as is, but chicken is a pretty big staple. I would assume the eggs from such a place would be fine as well?
In some cases we've actually been to the farms to pick them up, or they'll deliver them directly to your house. You can actually just email or call them and ask how to buy their meat, in some cases directly and other cases the farmer's market. Also, it's a pretty tight community and they all know each other, so they'll be able to point you in the right direction for buying other types of meat. But yeah the farmers markets are the best way to find the farmers and just chat with them. If you for example buy some beef from MacKillop and ask them who they recommend for Chicken/Pork for the season, they'll know exactly. Just google Calgary Farmers Markets.

Here are some examples. Chicken:

http://lettnerschickens.weebly.com/how-to-order.html

Beef:

http://www.mackillopbeef.com/

Not sure on pork, but we bought some from Toad's Acres last summer.

In terms of cost, what you're doing is eliminating the middle man completely, and also usually buying in reasonable bulk (like a quarter cow). So we've found that actually it doesn't end up being that much more expensive, just more inconvenient and you have to have a deep freeze and plan more (ie. defrosting meat etc).

I've found that I enjoy the food so much more this way. It has made a huge difference for me.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2016, 01:38 PM   #49
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't have strong opinions on this subject one way or the other. Personally, I enjoy eating basically every kind of meat.

I found it refreshing though that a guy who is choosing to move away from meats for moral reasons actually endorses hunting. It really drives me crazy when people attack hunters for being inhumane. Good job Matty for being normal
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2016, 01:40 PM   #50
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmmm the buying in bulk thing may be a bit of a hindrance as I don't have a deep freeze. Could look at getting a small one though.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:47 PM   #51
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think your hunting vs not hunting is not sustainable from an if everyone did it stand point. Factory farming allows enough meet to be produced. So regardless of source if you want to avoid factory farms the only solution is less meat.

I wouldn't buy "free range" grocery store sustainably produced meats if looking for an alternative as if you are trying to get rid of factory farms from your diet the organic free range movement is almost as bad. It is still a mass produced product.

So I think you really want local, where you can go inspect the farm see your cow, name it, take a picture with it, then eat it. If you google alberta sustainable agriculture there are plenty of options for buying. And a 1/4 cow last time I bought ne was around $6 per pound finished which might only be 20% more than grocery store prices. The other benefit is it makes you a better cook as you get all cuts of meat so you get to brasie and stew interesting cuts like cheek and toungue, smoke briskets and so on.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:07 PM   #52
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, I'm bumping this thread.

It's been on my mind lately, and my younger brother brought it up yesterday so we were discussing it. We're thinking of at least trying a vegetarian route minus anything taken from the wild. This is a morality-based thing, not a health thing. I never thought I'd be one of these people. We are carnivorous, have been eating meat for thousands of years, and I love the taste of pretty much any type of meat. But we've gotten to the point where we just can't ignore the way these things are being farmed. This is why I make a caveat for wild meat. My family has always had hunters, my Dad does it every year. Ethically, I have no problem taking an animal from the wild and using every piece we can. I don't want this to turn into a debate on the merits of vegetarianism, the ethics behind it, or how less manly I am for thinking about this.

What I want is ideas. We were brainstorming what we could eat and were having a tough time coming up with tasty ideas, mostly in the hot food domain. So my questions are:

Good breakfasts? - Love myself a hot breakfast with some eggs and sausage. The sausage can be wild, just wondering what veggies do for hot breaky meals.

Breakfast - that's easy. Pancakes. Eggs and Hashbrowns. Huevos Rancheros. Egg McMuffins. This one is really not hard at all.

Packed Lunches - Egg Salad Sandwiches are pretty easy. So is leftovers. If you still eat fish, Sardines are surprisingly good. Personally I find going out for lunch to be a better way of living than packed lunch, but to each their own.

Dinners aren't hard either. Pasta is so easy without meat, especially pesto dishes. Corn on the Cob is still awesome. So is Potato Salad, and so on. Stirfrys, Casseroles (just not Lasagne, ect), they are all easy. The only dinner you are going to be short on is roasts, or stews. That's like the only thing that will be missing. And if you eat fish, then roast salmon can still be done. Veggie Chilli, however, can be excellent, and replace the hearty stew that you may crave.

There's something out there called Ground Round. It's a soy based replacement for ground beef. Honestly, it's better than beef in taco's, or burritos. And I love beef.

As for Tofu, you likely have been eating it wrong. There's really two types of Tofu. Soft, and Hard. Soft tofu has a gelatin like look, is soft and mushy. Most people think of this when they think Tofu. I do not like this. Hard tofu is different, it is dry, and stiff, it has a consistency of cheese - especially paneer, or feta. Firm tofu fried, and crispy, is actually quite nice.

A note about those people who think that Tofu is bad because it's "processed". Yeah, it is - and has been made like this for centuries. It's made exactly the same way that cheese is, but with Soy Beans instead of milk. Crush the beans, add some rennet, drain off the whey (which makes soy milk, btw), and compress into bricks. I saw someone mention earlier in the thread (in 2011), that they didn't like the processed nature of tofu, but would eat peanut butter?? Isn't Peanut Butter processed too?? It doesn't grow in butter form, that's for sure. but I digress.

In case you are wondering, I am a meat lover - I absolutely love eating meat. I have a goal to eat nearly every living species out there (within reason). I am, however, married to a vegetarian who won't eat fish. I have learned to deal with this issue well - most of my dinners are meat free. Most of my lunches are not. I have found I do not resent my dinners being meat free - I have learned to be an equal opportunity eater. Beef - good. Pork - good. Potatoes - good. Tofu - good. What matters - or rather, what should matter - is whether or not the food you eat is good food, not whether or not there is an arbitrary volume of meat in it. A ####ty bologna sandwich isn't somehow elevated over an egg salad just because it's meat, and a nice ratatouille isn't somehow less than a cheap chicken breast. I personally couldn't live without barbeque, or fried chicken, or thanksgiving turkey, but I don't need it every meal. I find I eat just fine.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knalus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2016, 02:07 PM   #53
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think your hunting vs not hunting is not sustainable from an if everyone did it stand point. Factory farming allows enough meet to be produced. So regardless of source if you want to avoid factory farms the only solution is less meat.

I wouldn't buy "free range" grocery store sustainably produced meats if looking for an alternative as if you are trying to get rid of factory farms from your diet the organic free range movement is almost as bad. It is still a mass produced product.

So I think you really want local, where you can go inspect the farm see your cow, name it, take a picture with it, then eat it. If you google alberta sustainable agriculture there are plenty of options for buying. And a 1/4 cow last time I bought ne was around $6 per pound finished which might only be 20% more than grocery store prices. The other benefit is it makes you a better cook as you get all cuts of meat so you get to brasie and stew interesting cuts like cheek and toungue, smoke briskets and so on.
Bought direct from the farm a few times now...love it for some many reasons:

1) The quality is better.

2) The price, at $6.00/pound, once you factor in the high end steak cuts you get, is cheaper.

3) No middle men. The concept of middle men offends me. I'd much rather provide money directly to the people doing the work.

4) Animal welfare. Not pretending I'm a saint, but grass fed cows are treated much better than feed lot versions.

5) Health. Who knows what's in the Safeway steaks.

Basically, I don't know why everyone doesn't do this. If you're in a stable enough situation that you can afford to spend $800 on meat, then get a few friends together and go in on this.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:08 PM   #54
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I don't have strong opinions on this subject one way or the other. Personally, I enjoy eating basically every kind of meat.

I found it refreshing though that a guy who is choosing to move away from meats for moral reasons actually endorses hunting. It really drives me crazy when people attack hunters for being inhumane. Good job Matty for being normal
Haha I though it was funny when I read back through the thread after bumping it. I didn't realize I had posted in it before.

Yeah I have no problem with hunting or eating meat in general. I just can't stand the way we are farming them. It doesn't need to be a love-in with their own private residence or something, but some semblance of humanity would be nice.

We just way over consume this stuff. I feel the same way about clothes and am trying to get out of the sweat-shop stuff too, but it's really hard to avoid, especially with the price difference. It's really just sad. I did a full purge of clothes on the weekend. I have 5 garbage bags full of clothes I never wear that I am donating. Pretty disgusted at how much unnecessary clothing I had.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:15 PM   #55
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Haha I though it was funny when I read back through the thread after bumping it. I didn't realize I had posted in it before.

Yeah I have no problem with hunting or eating meat in general. I just can't stand the way we are farming them. It doesn't need to be a love-in with their own private residence or something, but some semblance of humanity would be nice.

We just way over consume this stuff. I feel the same way about clothes and am trying to get out of the sweat-shop stuff too, but it's really hard to avoid, especially with the price difference. It's really just sad. I did a full purge of clothes on the weekend. I have 5 garbage bags full of clothes I never wear that I am donating. Pretty disgusted at how much unnecessary clothing I had.

That is all fine and well, but that's just scratching the surface. Our entire western lifestyle of luxury is only made possible by sweatshops on the other side of the world. Clothing, furniture, electronics, you name it; all our "stuff" is mass produced cheaply across the ocean.

You really need to make a concerted effort if you want to make a difference, and quite frankly, that's cost prohibitive for most people, or just impossible. Is it even possible to buy a smartphone produced in North America?

It's a sad reality that our luxurious lifestyles are made possible by the horrible working and living conditions of millions of people elsewhere.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:16 PM   #56
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm actually looking into heading this route as well, not so much from an ethical standpoint as an environmental one. That said, are the large-scale agriculture practices for produce significantly less harmful than the ones used for livestock?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:17 PM   #57
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I went Vegan for a while two years ago to lose weight and lower cholesterol. It worked wonderfully.

I have returned to eating meat, but probably not as much as I used to.

I usually go out for lunch, and it was hard to find veggie options on most menus. Asian restaurants are usually good for this - Japanese, Vietnamese, Indian, Thai.

My vegan friend introduced me to this restaurant:

http://www.ambrosiaveggie.com/

I bought a number of vegetarian or vegan cook books. If you get Next Issue, there are plenty of vegetarian magazines with recipes every month.

Breakfast was always a smoothie, some kind of oat bran cereal with soy milk or almond milk, and toast with peanut butter. For dinner I loved curries, soups, chilis etc. I really like dishes with lentils, chick peas, beans etc. Make sure you are getting enough protein. Many vegans will cheat once in a while and have some salmon.

I think "organic" and "non-gmo" is marketing bull-####.

Last edited by troutman; 03-07-2016 at 02:19 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:20 PM   #58
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
Breakfast - that's easy. Pancakes. Eggs and Hashbrowns. Huevos Rancheros. Egg McMuffins. This one is really not hard at all.

Packed Lunches - Egg Salad Sandwiches are pretty easy. So is leftovers. If you still eat fish, Sardines are surprisingly good. Personally I find going out for lunch to be a better way of living than packed lunch, but to each their own.
Eggs are in the same category as chicken, yeah? Like If I'm eating eggs I don't want them from some place where they have 5 piled on top of each other in 12"x12" cage.

Quote:
Dinners aren't hard either. Pasta is so easy without meat, especially pesto dishes. Corn on the Cob is still awesome. So is Potato Salad, and so on. Stirfrys, Casseroles (just not Lasagne, ect), they are all easy. The only dinner you are going to be short on is roasts, or stews. That's like the only thing that will be missing. And if you eat fish, then roast salmon can still be done. Veggie Chilli, however, can be excellent, and replace the hearty stew that you may crave.
Yeah, as mentioned, have no problem with pastas and curries. This is stuff I make most of the time anyways. But I am looking for what I should be adding if I'm not going to be having chicken or meatballs with it. I will still have the wild meat, as mentioned, so the odd roast or steak is still going to be in play.

Veggie chili is a good option, yeah. A big hindrance for me is beans. I don;t like beans. I may have to just get over it.

Quote:
As for Tofu, you likely have been eating it wrong. There's really two types of Tofu. Soft, and Hard. Soft tofu has a gelatin like look, is soft and mushy. Most people think of this when they think Tofu. I do not like this. Hard tofu is different, it is dry, and stiff, it has a consistency of cheese - especially paneer, or feta. Firm tofu fried, and crispy, is actually quite nice.
Hmm interesting, I'll look into it.

Another hurdle I guess would be that I live within a 5 min walk of co-op, so most of my meals are ad-hoc (ie, I'm at the store almost every day). I like doing this. Walk my dog over there or what have you, and don't really have enough freezer/fridge space to be buying a bunch of stuff in bulk. So what are the recommendations for that type of life vs getting like 5 whole chickens and a 1/4 cow?
Old 03-07-2016, 02:21 PM   #59
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
That is all fine and well, but that's just scratching the surface. Our entire western lifestyle of luxury is only made possible by sweatshops on the other side of the world. Clothing, furniture, electronics, you name it; all our "stuff" is mass produced cheaply across the ocean.

You really need to make a concerted effort if you want to make a difference, and quite frankly, that's cost prohibitive for most people, or just impossible. Is it even possible to buy a smartphone produced in North America?

It's a sad reality that our luxurious lifestyles are made possible by the horrible working and living conditions of millions of people elsewhere.
Agreed, but it's a different conversation for a different day haha. At this point, just trying to do what is within my power.

And Rube, yeah I put the environmental impact in witht eh "ethical" issues. But I agree that the agricultural production is not much better in that sense. Especially for certain goods that can only be grown in certain areas (almonds, for example).
Old 03-07-2016, 02:35 PM   #60
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can check out Master Meats on 40th and centre:
http://mastermeats.com/
The guys here are great. They have Spring Creek beef(it is more expensive than their normal stuff) and it is fantastic, you can read about it here, as far as ethics:

http://springcreek.ca/welcome/our-promise/

They also sell chicken from a BC farm, I can't remember the name but it is the only stuff I'll get now. So much flavour.

They make really good sausages too.

Sorry, feel bad about bombing this in the vegetarian thread, but useful to the topic if you want ethical animal meals.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote