Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 10:42 AM   #5421
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Pickup-truck driver beats 74-year-old cyclist in Peterborough

A driver exited his vehicle and was caught on camera beating a cyclist with a club

http://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/n...-peterborough/
Well in this scenario a helmet would have helped!
Old 07-21-2017, 12:13 PM   #5422
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm curious to know what provoked this guy to beat the cyclist. The article says they didn't know each other, and that they were waiting to turn left?
Was the cyclist taking to long to turn?
Old 07-21-2017, 12:43 PM   #5423
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
I don't think I know what a hipster is anymore. I see six guys in suits, with 5 of them wearing ties. There is a female wearing a hat though.
to me only a hipster would ride a bike in a suit - there is a girl in the picture?

these guys are likely riding tot eh barber shop to get a hipster haircut.

oh yeah, those bikes are probably fixies. the gear #### levers are on there just for show
Old 07-21-2017, 12:46 PM   #5424
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
to me only a hipster would ride a bike in a suit - there is a girl in the picture?

oh yeah, those bikes are probably fixies. the gear #### levers are on there just for show
Suit and Scotch ride, thus dressing up.

I already got a haircut a few days prior, at Great Clips.

Funny enough we did end up going to The Beer Room, which does have a barbershop on the premises.

A couple of the bikes were fixies, but most had gears. I was rocking my sweet 6 speed inner-city cruiser, complete with rust that makes it go faster.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 12:50 PM   #5425
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Since we are going down this path, this is decidedly more hipster then that pic:

Old 07-21-2017, 12:52 PM   #5426
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Was it this thread I read about the Cochrane guy that pulled a PIMking? Well, he got charged...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...raud-1.4216322
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 12:57 PM   #5427
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Virtually no cyclists in the Netherlands wear helmets. Their rates of head injuries for from cycling collisions are no higher than North America.

Behaviour around wearing helmets is largely determined by social norms, not empirical risk assessment. I wear a helmet when I ride in some environments, and not in others. The argument 'why not just put it on' is unpersuasive, as I do find helmets uncomfortable and a hassle. Everyone does, otherwise they'd keep their helmets on when they walked and drove in order to be safe.
[/SPOILER]
The Netherlands also has much better infrastructure with many separated bike lanes, and motor vehicle drivers that are not only conditioned to be more aware of cyclists, but tend to be better drivers in general compared to the average Canadian / American driver. Cycling collision injuries also go up as the speed of the cyclist increases. I don't commute; most of my training rides average 30km/h+, with sprints and descents getting into the 40's and higher. I'll keep wearing my helmet, thanks.

And what kind of cast iron lids are some of you guys wearing that it "bothers you"? I can barely feel my helmet, and have wandered around the house with it after a ride.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 01:27 PM   #5428
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:

If I only lived a few kms from my work I'd wear my work clothes on the bike. Even if it was a suit.

Any and all styles of bike riding should be encouraged. Casual to competitive. Fixies are fun. Cruisers aren't my style but some really like the comfort. Some people need eBikes to help them ride longer. Commute on your full carbon roadie. Whatever floats your boat.

Cyclists have enough problems in this city without other cyclists crapping on them for the type of cyclist they are. Wear a suit. Wear lycra. Wear a helmet or don't. Wear whatever you want and ride whatever bike you like.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 01:45 PM   #5429
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

^
Just don't ride like a dick.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 01:49 PM   #5430
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Was it this thread I read about the Cochrane guy that pulled a PIMking? Well, he got charged...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...raud-1.4216322

I read this, and laughed at old stelios considering he was whining a week or so ago how the internet was picking on him and ridiculing him.....this guy is a real unit......

as for the hipster stuff I was kidding.......the whole thing seems rather whimsical. even if I lioved close I would never ride in a suit just in case I was caught in a downpour and I tend to be a sweaty mess if I am warm while exerting myself physically
Old 07-21-2017, 01:52 PM   #5431
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
^
Just don't ride like a dick.
Not necessarily...

NSFW!

My rant was about the type of bike and what you wear when you cycle. Obeying the rules of the road and being considerate to pedestrians, cars and other cyclists is mandatory.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:51 PM   #5432
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
The Netherlands also has much better infrastructure with many separated bike lanes, and motor vehicle drivers that are not only conditioned to be more aware of cyclists, but tend to be better drivers in general compared to the average Canadian / American driver. Cycling collision injuries also go up as the speed of the cyclist increases. I don't commute; most of my training rides average 30km/h+, with sprints and descents getting into the 40's and higher. I'll keep wearing my helmet, thanks.
Which is why I wear a helmet when I'm riding at speed in traffic, and don't wear a helmet when I'm riding around the neighbourhood or on the bike paths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
And what kind of cast iron lids are some of you guys wearing that it "bothers you"? I can barely feel my helmet, and have wandered around the house with it after a ride.
If they're no hassle at all, why don't people wear them when they're walking around? More than twice as many children every year suffer head injuries while walking than when cycling, and seven times more pedestrians than cyclists are killed by cars.

Deaths per 100 million trips:

Walking - 15
Cycling - 14
Driving - 10

There's no question hundreds of lives and serious injuries would be saved if pedestrians all walked around wearing helmets. We don't because it's uncomfortable and a hassle for everyday activities. We're not willing to sacrifice that much convenience and comfort for safety. The Dutch don't wear helmets cycling for the same reason. The difference is Canadians don't really regard cycling as a normal, everyday activity and the Dutch do.
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2017, 06:35 PM   #5433
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Because we're not walking at 30 km/hr
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2017, 08:12 PM   #5434
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

There's a lot of talk about hipsters in suits biking. It's engineers and business people that don't feel like changing at work.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:18 PM   #5435
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Wading into the helmet argument, I've done a forward flip off the front of my handlebars while biking on the pathway over the Glenmore reservoir when the wheel got stuck in one of the metal rails that runs down the path.

I fractured my wrist and skidded along the top of my helmeted head. I am totally glad I was wearing one that day.

There have been times that I've gone helmet-less to work etc. because I wouldn't have time to shower and my helmet hair is like bed-head x1000 but I definitely go much slower and am completely way more conservative and I just don't like that feeling of impending death. Even 30 km/hour on a regular city street or intersecting with the side of a car can end it right away.

The key is just finding a helmet that fits you, that is light enough (although the prices of lighter performance helmets are ridiculous), and gives you good comfort and visibility.

I have a few but mostly used a Dux Helm with built-in retractable lens most of the time. That way I don't need to fumble with sunglasses and I can also wear regular glasses behind them.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 07-23-2017 at 09:30 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2017, 11:18 PM   #5436
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Is there anybody local that stocks these dux helms?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2017, 11:50 PM   #5437
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those were some interesting winds to be out in tonight. A few times small branches blew off trees and landed right in front of me on the pathway and blew across just before I hit. Fun tail winds that quickly turned into scary crosswinds. Felt like I was in the movie Twister.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:43 AM   #5438
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeee View Post
Is there anybody local that stocks these dux helms?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Unfortunately not. I had to go to B.C. to buy one. There are Chinese knock-offs now that are much cheaper but I don't trust a Chinese made bike helmet for actual impact protection.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 07:02 AM   #5439
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Wading into the helmet argument, I've done a forward flip off the front of my handlebars while biking on the pathway over the Glenmore reservoir when the wheel got stuck in one of the metal rails that runs down the path.
Hah, I somehow managed to do the same thing on Memorial right by the 10th street bridge a year ago. Traffic stopped. I like to think it would have gone nicely in slow motion with Chariots of Fire. Didn't land on my head though, I'd done the full rotation.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 07-24-2017, 07:39 AM   #5440
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

lots of broken tree limbs on various parts of the path this morning......