Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-21-2017, 11:05 AM   #61
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Generally agree with Mike F. I love the overall concept and want to see where it goes, but the slow burn has been brutal. 8 episodes in and the payoff has been learning that the 1 eyed god who talks to crows who's name is the same day named after Odin is actually Odin?

I had no idea that was the season finale, and I can't believe we had a "filler" episode with that Essie stuff when there was only 8 episodes.

With the war actually starting, I will have to tune into it next season and I am looking forward to it, but I probably won't be able to last another season as slow as this one.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2017, 11:10 AM   #62
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
Disagree with the general sentiment here...

I thought the season was generally quite boring, and is really suffering from their trying to stretch one book into multiple seasons. None of the back stories for the old gods, nor Wednesday's efforts to recruit them, got me very interested in their characters, and both Shadow and Laura Moon are dull and monotonous.

Give me Wednesday and Mad Sweeney on a buddy trip, in actual war with Mr. World, and you might have something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Generally agree with Mike F. I love the overall concept and want to see where it goes, but the slow burn has been brutal. 8 episodes in and the payoff has been learning that the 1 eyed god who talks to crows who's name is the same day named after Odin is actually Odin?

I had no idea that was the season finale, and I can't believe we had a "filler" episode with that Essie stuff when there was only 8 episodes.

With the war actually starting, I will have to tune into it next season and I am looking forward to it, but I probably won't be able to last another season as slow as this one.
I generally agree as well.

Yeah, considering the amount of flack GoT and TWD get for 'filler' I'm surprised at the forgiveness here of an 8 episode season that probably only had story development in about half of them

Thats about the slowest burn I've ever seen.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:30 PM   #63
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the filler episodes was my favourite. They really seem to be stretching the story out but I believe I read something that said they want this to be 3 seasons. So that may explain the padding.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:42 PM   #64
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

They actually trimmed out a lot of the book (and did add in other stuff) so it's really not all the slow compared to how Gaiman writes (which is excruciating Stephen King-level slow). And the Essie story was (much like most of the aside stuff) the backstory of Mad Sweeney.

American Gods spends almost as much time building characterization (with the exception of Laura - whom has a much smaller and briefer part in the book - and Shadow - who is one of those "empty vessel" protagonists that the reader is supposed to project themselves into; the name literally implies it) as it does on plot.

Based on what I know about the book and the remaining plotline, there will be more God backstory asides to compliment the plotting in Season 2, and Season 3 will be more of what I assume you are looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 12:41 PM   #65
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I'm using my free month of Prime and decided to watch this finally.

As I'm only half done the season and have avoided reading this thread, all I have to say is that I like it but it almost needs a GoT style Histories and Lore bonus feature to explain who the gods are (or at least an explanation of who they are based upon). I know they've interspliced some of this in the episodes and some may be explained next season but it almost feels like it is written for people who know all this #### already and will understand the references. The mystery of finding out their identities won't have much of an impact if I still don't know who they are when it is revealed. If that makes sense.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:01 PM   #66
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not knowing who they are is kind of the point. You're not really supposed to immediately recognize them, except vaguely. They're effectively forgotten gods (well, almost all of them). As a result they don't import any real expectations of baggage as to what they're like, so Gaiman could write his own characters without being boxed in. There's no background or explanation in the book either.

Half of them don't even have coherent backstories. Try figuring out what Czernobog's deal is.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:21 PM   #67
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Don't think you're getting what I'm saying. I don't think we need a full explanation of the characters, that would defeat the point. But they are based on real gods and I never said we should immediately recognize them.

But having some kind of explanation of the gods would be cool instead of just reading Wikipedia articles to find out who they are based on. Even an explanation of their origins within the context of the show wouldn't ruin anything. It would just provide better context for who each god is and what culture they came from etc.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:11 PM   #68
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Don't think you're getting what I'm saying. I don't think we need a full explanation of the characters, that would defeat the point. But they are based on real gods and I never said we should immediately recognize them.

But having some kind of explanation of the gods would be cool instead of just reading Wikipedia articles to find out who they are based on. Even an explanation of their origins within the context of the show wouldn't ruin anything. It would just provide better context for who each god is and what culture they came from etc.

Well to be fair, the first Coming to America vignette is Wednesday's. We see Bilquis, Mr. Nancy (Anansi) we will meet proper in season 2.

I understand what you're saying, but I think the point (at least in the novel) isn't to spell out who is who. I have more thoughts but I suppose that would be too spoilerly.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote