Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2017, 09:19 AM   #81
Insufficient Funds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Pitts choosing to go 8 + 1 to protect Shultz who is a UFA. Leaves Rust exposed.
Insufficient Funds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:20 AM   #82
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

TSN:"Islanders will give up first rounder to keep Vegas from taking forwards."

http://www.tsn.ca/islanders-will-giv...wards-1.782255

The 15th overall pick.
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:20 AM   #83
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

definitely some solid players available for Vegas to pick when you add in some of the surprise names, it seems like they should be able to field a competitive team...luckily teams can only lose 1 guy...

there's definitely a number of guys i wish Calgary was in on in those lists...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:21 AM   #84
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Prediction on how many 1st round picks Vegas will have? I say that will end up with 5. I think the rumors already have them with 3?
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 09:24 AM   #85
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Prediction on how many 1st round picks Vegas will have? I say that will end up with 5. I think the rumors already have them with 3?
I will say 6.
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:26 AM   #86
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydub74 View Post
There are definitely some good players being left exposed, I'm surprised LV is so willing to make side deals to Not take player x from these rosters. Rumours out there have LV collecting a lot of 1st round picks in exchange for not taking these players, but why? The player LV drafts is essentially a lotto ticket, when some of these players are sure things... I don't really understand. I would be more inclined to take the player (especially if they have term) rather than take a mid to high first round pick in exchange.

That said, perhaps they're looking to compile picks and move up the draft, but that only gets them one player. Its not like the top picks are generational or anything..
If you're building a team from scratch what's the most important thing you need for the long term? Young players, picks and prospects. You wanna build the young foundation of your team.

Don't understand why you'd think they'd rather have players now. The most important assets to a new team are young players, prospects and picks. They're smart to accumulate 1st rounders.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 09:26 AM   #87
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
they'd be mad not to. Look at Columbus, they gave them a 1st and LV is still walking away with Murray. From an asset point of view, it's a no-brainer to make a few of those kind of deals.
Murray was protected it looks like
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 09:27 AM   #88
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did I read right that Arizona protected Johnson and exposed Domingue?... What was the point of getting a free agent Johnson in the Smith trade?... Basically gives Johnson zero value in the trade (I had assumed the whole reason he was included was so they didn't have to expose Domingue)
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 09:28 AM   #89
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
Totally agree with you, , if Vegas is told by the Ducks not to Vatanen and Manson, than Vegas is getting a massive return.

On a side note with Fleury, Mrazek, Raanta and Grubauer all available, Vegas has better goaltending and goaltending depth than the Calgary Flames
Not necessarily.

First of all, Vegas can't afford to keep all those goalies - they may pick them and then trade them, but they can't hold 4 NHL goalies into the season. And they can't send any of them to the AHL because they wouldn't clear waivers.

Second, they still have no goalie prospects.

Right now (and assuming they sign Johnson, or an equivalent backup), the Flames' goaltending depth is:

Smith
Johnson
Gillies
Rittich
Parsons (maybe the best goalie prospect on the planet)
MacDonald

They will have Gillies and (likely) Rittich playing in the AHL, and they will (likely) have Parsons playing in the ECHL.

Vegas has nothing like that, and won't for at least 3 years.

Unless... they trade a couple of the guys you listed for prospects. How about a post expansion trade of Grubrauer for Gillies - would both teams do that? Vegas will need some prospects for their organizational depth.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:28 AM   #90
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's funny how none of the 7 Canadian teams really exposed any good players.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:29 AM   #91
Insufficient Funds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think a lot of people thought that. PHX is obviously up to something with Vegas and a goalie.
Insufficient Funds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:30 AM   #92
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
Did I read right that Arizona protected Johnson and exposed Domingue?... What was the point of getting a free agent Johnson in the Smith trade?... Basically gives Johnson zero value in the trade (I had assumed the whole reason he was included was so they didn't have to expose Domingue)
Johnson was included because they had to protect a goalie just like they had to expose one. After the Smith trade they had no goalie to protect. Johnson was included so they could protect him and meet the protection/exposure rules. Domingue was always being exposed by them because he was the goalie that met the exposure requirements. Johnson could not meet the exposure requirements as he is not under contract.

Yes Johnson did basically have zero value in the trade, he's UFA

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 06-18-2017 at 09:33 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 09:30 AM   #93
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
They needed a goaltender that met the requirements to be protected I believe.
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:30 AM   #94
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
They had to get Johnson because by the expansion draft rules they NEED to have 1 goalie to protect AND 1 goalie to expose. If they didn't get Johnson, they only had 1 goalie (Dominigue) in the organization that could fill either spot.

Since Johnson was not signed to a contract he had to be used in the protection slot, he could not be used in the exposed slot. Dominigue was likely going to get exposed anyways if Smith had stayed.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 09:31 AM   #95
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Connor, It's Mess View Post
Mrazek left unprotected...? That's a bit of a headscratcher.
I've watched a lot of Wings games over the last two seasons and Mrazek has really been left to his own devices in the majority of his starts. Detroit's defense has been horrible.

That said, Jimmy Howard really did have an amazing season behind the same team, although he only played 26 games.

Although it seems unlikely with the Smith trade, if the Flames could somehow acquire Petr Mrazek out of all this I would do freaking cartwheels.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:31 AM   #96
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post

i don't know... reviewing those lists, it sure seems like there are guys that are better and in the NHL currently than taking a draft pick, esp in this year's draft...

like the NYI for example, where there is a rumored deal... does that pick (15th overall?) prevent them from picking Nelson or deHaan? (Edit - the rumor says prevents them from choosing a fwd). because, personally, i think either will be better than the guy at 15...or at least there's some certainty of getting a very good player...

i don't know whether i'd take lottery tickets over young, solid, NHL players if i were vegas

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 06-18-2017 at 09:42 AM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:31 AM   #97
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It appears they may end up icing a better team than the Canucks.
It's actually looking like Vegas may be better than both the canucks and the yotes.

Looking at the available players, i wouldn't be shocked if they finish ahead of both those teams in the standings next year.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:32 AM   #98
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
It's funny how none of the 7 Canadian teams really exposed any good players.
Ottawa exposed Marc Methot.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:33 AM   #99
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Nm
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:33 AM   #100
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Connor, It's Mess View Post
Mrazek left unprotected...? That's a bit of a headscratcher.
Sub .900 sv% for a season and a half now.

Not as surprising when you consider that.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote