Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-17-2017, 07:11 PM   #21
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
The era of self-driving cars cannot arrive quickly enough. I know there will always be other means of inflicting harm, but it's just so easy with a big truck or car.
Self driving cars... Are you kidding? That will just make it so much easier to kill with a car, it will be done remotely. Thousands and some cases millions of computers can be manipulated by malware at any one time.

Also think about how slow car companies are with recalls and updates, the main cause of malware infections is a lack of patching and updates.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:16 PM   #22
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Well its either terrorism or accident so that doesn't add much detail. Is it Islamic Terrorism or Separatist Terrorism?
Confirmed as Jihadis by the Spanish PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2017, 11:05 PM   #23
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Self driving cars... Are you kidding? That will just make it so much easier to kill with a car, it will be done remotely. Thousands and some cases millions of computers can be manipulated by malware at any one time.

Also think about how slow car companies are with recalls and updates, the main cause of malware infections is a lack of patching and updates.
While the potential consequences are bigger, the probability of a successful attack is far lower.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:46 PM   #24
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post

If Hackers can remotely hack a jeep and kill it, they can remotely hack self driving cars and navigate them into crowds.

If one of the features that's being talked about is car retrieval via your cell phone, then navigation can be rewritten.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:52 PM   #25
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Spoiler!

My intention wasn't to defend trump. But who literally cares what that idiot has to say about this horrible incident.

Leave his crap in the American politics thread is all I'm saying.

Last edited by Cappy; 08-18-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2017, 09:59 AM   #26
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Elliotte Friedman retweeted this chain earlier. Sounds like things were close to being much worse.

Rukmini Callimachi‏ @rcallimachi
1. Good morning all. Late last night, I got a call from a source briefed on the Barcelona inquiry. What I learned:
2. There were 3 related events: 1. An explosion in a house in Alcanar on Wed, the van attack in Barcelona Thurs and car attack in Cambrils
3. According to my source, police learned from rental car company that attackers had tried to rent a large truck. See ISIS' instructions:
Spoiler!

4. Source briefed on investigation says they were foiled when the driver failed to produce the necessary permit to drive the large vehicle.
5. At that point, they decided to rent 2 smaller vans. Investigators then tied men to building in Alcanar that blew up Wed. Check out damage
Spoiler!

6. That explosion had initially been dismissed as a gas leak. When they went back, they found house had been stocked with gas bottles
7. Investigators believe the attackers had a Plan A, a plan B and a Plan C.
8. Plan A was to load the large truck with explosives & ram it causing a catastrophic explosion. That failed bc they couldn't rent big truck
9. Plan B was to load 2 smaller vans with explosives. That failed too. They didn't know how to prep the explosive & blew up house instead
10. That brought them to Plan C which was to use 2 smaller cars to ram people, first on the Ramblas, and later in the town of Cambril
11. What I also learned came from the erudite Lorenzo Vidino of @gwupoe, who spent part of 2012 studying Salafists in Catalan
12. Lorenzo Vidino explained to me that the town of Cambrils where the attack happened is next to Salou. Both play a role in the 9/11 attack
13. It was in Salou that Mohamed Atta, the pilot of 1st plane to fly into the World Trade Center, had a key meeting with an al-Qaeda figure:
14. Here's the 2002 reporting of colleague Doug Frantz who traveled to the coastal villages to piece together 9/11: https://t.co/s0zlhhNthE
15. Larger point that Lorenzo Vidino made to me is that coastal area south of Barcelona (Tarragona, Cambrils, Salou) is a hotbed of Salafism
16. Another connection: 1 of the worst losses Italy faced in Iraq was the 2003 bombing which killed 19 Italians:
17. The suicide bomber was a foreign fighter who hailed from Vilanova i la Geltru, another little town in same area:
18. Based on complexity of this plot, this appears to have been work of a network. Should give us pause when we next declare defeat of ISIS

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:27 AM   #27
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just got back from Europe this week(prior to the attack), I noticed that all public gathering places in Budapest and Rome were blocked off by very robust looking tanks, armored cars, and soldiers at multiple access points. A jihadist would have to walk a bomb in, no way to drive through.

Not a criticism but I wonder if that was setup in Barcelona, looking at that area on google earth it may not even have been possible to block off.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 08-18-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:28 AM   #28
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jihadism as an ideology is about as terrible as it gets. It needs to end.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:36 AM   #29
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post

My intention wasn't to defend trump. But who literally cares what that idiot has to say about this horrible incident.

Leave his crap in the American politics thread is all I'm saying.
For my part, I regret my post. It was motivated, at least in part, by cynicism and frustration.

I'm getting so tired of this crescendo of hate that we seem to be living through.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:23 AM   #30
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Sometimes its just fortunate luck.

If they could have figured out the explosives and if they had the permits for the bigger truck we could be talking hundreds dead and wounded.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:34 AM   #31
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Sometimes its just fortunate luck.

If they could have figured out the explosives and if they had the permits for the bigger truck we could be talking hundreds dead and wounded.
Agree - As terrible as this was, I would say they dodged a huge bullet having the gas bomb plan go wrong, which forced their hand into quickly executing a much simpler, more localized attack (vans & fake suicide vests). Imagine they were able to go thru with the plan they had been working on for a long time - one large van stocked with gas cylinders. Heck, just look at the damage done to the house.....
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:37 PM   #32
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow. One police officer shot four of the suspects in Cambrils who were emerging from their vehicle with knives and axes. Could have been another London Bridge.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...cer-police-say
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barcelona , spain , terrorism