Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-23-2017, 11:07 AM   #1741
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Slowly working my way through Shameless. Damn that's a funny show. Does it still hold up after season 1?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:26 PM   #1742
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Slowly working my way through Shameless. Damn that's a funny show. Does it still hold up after season 1?
Yes, it holds up all the way through. Some seasons are better than others but it is continuous hilarious and horrifying.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2017, 01:54 PM   #1743
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
UK or US?
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:53 PM   #1744
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Shameless is a good show. Some seasons better than others. I really liked last season.
Spoiler!
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:03 PM   #1745
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Did anyone else get a skip forward 10s button for a little bit on iOS? I had it for like a week and loved it, but now I'm back to the same old UI. I miss my experience.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:50 PM   #1746
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

5th season of Homeland has been great, almost done, went by to fast.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:58 PM   #1747
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Anybody have any issues we're you search for a movie and you can't play it .it only lets you add to your list?
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:30 AM   #1748
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

no, I have an issue with Netflix's where it has trouble loading movies and you have to do it twice and it has constant connection problems.

By the way, I started watching Glow tonight, what a addictive show and really well done.

While the names of the wrestlers have been changed from the original they have pretty much matched the original wrestlers.

Ruth's Zoya the Destroyer was originally Colonel Ninotchka
Liberty Belle was called Americana
Britanica is Godiva
The two older ladies that play old ladies in Glow there were two ladies that played two different tag teams. The Heavy Metal Systers and the Housewives and they were brilliant.

The other thing that I liked about this show is that we're seeing a lot of wrestlers guest starring.
John Morrison was the trainer in the first episode, Kia Steven's who plays the welfare mom in the show is more famously known as awesome kong. Alex Riley and Joey Ryan, Christopher Daniels, Brodus Clay, Frankie Kazarian and Brooke Hogan have all made appearances so far.

This show is addicting and excellent, the characters are all deep and flawed and in the grand scheme or things are determined to make Glow work. Marc Maron as Sam is the utter star of this show though, he plays a bitter former B list director who doesn't understand the business and clearly understands his personal flaws to a T.

Also Alison Brie is unrecognizable from her days in Community, and she does an amazing job as an overly obsessive failed actress who is "bought into auditions where the directors want someone new and fresh and exciting, and they don't want that anymore"

Plus in the first episode there are two nude scenes with her.

Overall this show is terrific.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 02:15 AM   #1749
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched the first four episodes today and I'll probably finish it by the end of the weekend if not tomorrow. I was going to tell my niece to watch it but with the nudity and sex scene I guess I shouldn't. lol
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:23 AM   #1750
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
UK or US?

US version.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 05:25 PM   #1751
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
I know it's probably not going to be a popular opinion, but I enjoyed the latest season of The Ranch, it's been one of my favorite Netflix shows.
I've been going through it slowly myself. Its basically 'That 70s Show' after the characters relentlessly screwed up their lives.

Spoiler!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:54 PM   #1752
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Well I finished Glow, and I kind of regret plowing through it so quickly because I was looking forward to it and in the end it completely surpassed my expectations.

The show really picked up momentum over the last 4 episodes and it became this really well done character study of all of the main characters.

Lets be honest, there were no winners in this group, they all have significant problems or failings and the good thing is that even though the main characters are Ruth and Debbie there are a lot of really good characters that need to be explored.

Everything came together in the last epsiode as they filmed the first ever episode of Glow, and it was amazingly well done and the soundtrack for the final match which was Pat Benatar's Invincible was a perfect choice.

I liked the fact that they kept the wrestling moves simple in this whole thing, the temptation would have been to have these girls doing moonsaults and head scissors that we see in modern day wrestling. But by keeping the matches to simple punches and kicks really helped you to remember that these girls weren't trained professionals and Glow was all about the characters. It also really allowed the last big move in the episode to completely stand out and look amazing.

I also loved that this wasn't a WWE show with carefully crafted storylines, instead they accentuated all of the booking of the fly moments that used to happen in small regional shows, it also accentuated the con of wrestling and the term Kayfabe.

I loved to see the battling Biddies, they were really a short lived hilarious tag team in Glow, if you don't believe me go back to the old Glow matches on youtube, the actresses in the show did it perfectly. You have to wonder if they'll go through a character change later.

I also loved that they had the wrestlers talking to each other and checking on each other and talking to the ref throughout the match.

The ending was a little bit too satisfying as they got the show on the air and you have to wonder where it goes next and how they can expand the show.

But overall even if your not a fan of wrestling this is a fun and interesting show.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:22 PM   #1753
jaydaybay
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Really enjoying Animal Kingdom right now. Would recommend it if you enjoy shows along the lines of Ray Donovan
jaydaybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:31 PM   #1754
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

4 episodes into GLOW and I'm ready to give it 5 stars, I have a soft spot for pro wrestling lore, combine that with an absolutely solid show and I'm hooked. The lil lady is super into it too, still has plenty to offer for the non wrestling geek crowd.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:48 PM   #1755
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
4 episodes into GLOW and I'm ready to give it 5 stars
You can't anymore...

But you have convince me to give it a look.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:01 PM   #1756
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
Yeah I don't mind The Ranch. It's mindless TV when I feel like turning my brain off.
A good replacement for Oilers hockey, amirite?
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:48 AM   #1757
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamesVan View Post
You can't anymore...

But you have convince me to give it a look.
I have a primitive Netflix app on my phone that still uses the star rating system (Windows Phone, so it's never getting updated). How or why, I cannot say.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:41 PM   #1758
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Glow was phenomenal.

I hope the wait for another season is not a long one.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 04:19 PM   #1759
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
...Alison Brie...nude scenes...
Well, I'm sold.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 04:20 PM   #1760
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Well, I'm sold.
Yup this work day can't end fast enough now.