Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2017, 12:33 PM   #1
fotiou22
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Toews speaks out on climate change in Instagram post

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...gram-1.4144723

Quote:
jonathantoewsDo you believe in climate change? Whether you're super pumped that we are putting 'Americans first' or you are absolutely outraged at the idea that we are taking yet another step backwards in dealing with a major global problem, the only way to solve this argument is to try and set your own agenda aside and see how this affects everybody. The only lie we tell ourselves is that we are more special than other life forms on the planet. Well, we're not. Even if we weren't responsible for any major climate catastrophes heading our way, shouldn't we still do our part to preserve what we have left? The same way that we shouldn't wait till our bodies break down completely to start doing the right things to stay healthy, let's not wait till it's too late to do something. I am not saying I am perfectly 'green', but the first step is to keep an open mind and try to learn what you don't already know.
fotiou22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to fotiou22 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2017, 12:47 PM   #2
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Captain Serious.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:54 PM   #3
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
I like Captain Serious.
dammit I agree! cant get your hate on when the captains a nice guy
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:09 PM   #4
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Volcanoes are the reason for climate change and they must be eradicated
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to doctajones428 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2017, 01:34 PM   #5
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yah climate change is an issue but it doesnt mean the paris accord is a good deal. They set very arbitrary targets with little consideration for economics, reliable energy requirements, economically feasible energy sources. They basically just drew up arbitrary lines in the sand as carbon cutting targets. A more pragmatic climate change solution needs to be worked out. Not necessarily a multination "accord" which penalizes some nations significantly more than others.

Oh whoops this is the fire on ice forum, sorry please move.
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:44 PM   #6
stamps
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think Johnathan is right ... people need to educate themselves on this topic .. I don't know if this is the place to discuss this subject but Toews is a hockey player and this is a hockey forum ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2_PlEBNms4 .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJmL9hRrpIQ ....

Last edited by stamps; 06-03-2017 at 02:52 PM.
stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:05 PM   #7
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
Yah climate change is an issue but it doesnt mean the paris accord is a good deal. They set very arbitrary targets with little consideration for economics, reliable energy requirements, economically feasible energy sources. They basically just drew up arbitrary lines in the sand as carbon cutting targets. A more pragmatic climate change solution needs to be worked out. Not necessarily a multination "accord" which penalizes some nations significantly more than others.

Oh whoops this is the fire on ice forum, sorry please move.
The first step to any path forward is to set a goal. What else could you do if you were looking to change a current situation? Ask people to set ideas and therefore not attempt to achieve anything?

Not all goals need to be accomplished. Failing to accomplish them can also be a great action, worthy of analysis as to what went wrong and what could be improved upon. But people get butt hurt on attempts because their lazy and scared. Plus the average person is carries a 90 IQ and had like a grade 8 reading ability. Asking something from the masses is futile. The same mass group of people who voted for Trump and Brexit is running this world.

That's why real leaders ignore the voices of dumb and ignorant.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2017, 03:36 PM   #8
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
The first step to any path forward is to set a goal. What else could you do if you were looking to change a current situation? Ask people to set ideas and therefore not attempt to achieve anything?

Not all goals need to be accomplished. Failing to accomplish them can also be a great action, worthy of analysis as to what went wrong and what could be improved upon. But people get butt hurt on attempts because their lazy and scared. Plus the average person is carries a 90 IQ and had like a grade 8 reading ability. Asking something from the masses is futile. The same mass group of people who voted for Trump and Brexit is running this world.

That's why real leaders ignore the voices of dumb and ignorant.
This is how a democracy is supposed to work.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:39 PM   #9
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
What about his post suggested he wasn't sure of how democracy is supposed to work, though? I read it more as "This is who is leading us and who elected them, so of course we're headed where we're headed".
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2017, 03:49 PM   #10
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Actually my post was meant to convey that people are generally dumb and lazy. I just slipped the rest in to hide that.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:58 PM   #11
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
What about his post suggested he wasn't sure of how democracy is supposed to work, though? I read it more as "This is who is leading us and who elected them, so of course we're headed where we're headed".
It sounded to me like he thinks masses and that their vote shouldn't be as important because they have average IQ and reading ability. That people of higher IQ and reading should be making these decisions for the masses. The fact is that plenty of higher IQ people voted for Trump and Brexit. This "average person is dumb" crap is simply an excuse to rationalize in your mind that all intelligent people would share your opinion.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 06-03-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2017, 05:21 PM   #12
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Democracy would've worked accurately if Clinton, with her 3 million more votes, was POTUS right now. And then this post from Toews wouldn't have happened in the first place.
wittynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:08 PM   #13
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Actually my post was meant to convey that people are generally dumb and lazy. I just slipped the rest in to hide that.
I caught it.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:50 PM   #14
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittynickname View Post
Democracy would've worked accurately if Clinton, with her 3 million more votes, was POTUS right now. And then this post from Toews wouldn't have happened in the first place.
When did they change the system to popular vote instead of electoral college?
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:46 PM   #15
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
When did they change the system to popular vote instead of electoral college?
I believe the suggestion here is that the electoral college is undemocratic... which is certainly a valid argument.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2017, 11:17 PM   #16
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am no Trump supporter but have to give him credit. He took his country out of a deal that was not in their best interest. He's looking at the business side of things not the bleeding heart side.

Climate change has become such an emotional issue. People like David Suzuki have painted this as a war of good and evil. Comparing oil workers to slave traders is just one example.

There is money at stake here and by using emotion over logic the hopes are that people will put aside their interests for a bad deal. Vested money is using this ploy to get an advantage plain and simple.

Make no mistake climate change is real. However Trudeau is playing a game in hugging the Paris accord as Trump is ripping it up. The hope is that Canada is seen as a leader and investment flows here over the USA. Meanwhile the USA is taking a different view. It both business strategy, not altruism.

So people need to quit cheering for a team. If you think climate change is real make your life as carbon neutral as possible. Hockey players wagging fingers at Trump and flying private is a joke. Do something to set an example besides a drive by tweet. Making it political is just feeding a fire and doing nothing.

My point is there are no good guys here. Just factions jockeying for a piece of economic pie in the green future.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:10 AM   #17
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, so money is more important the future health of the earth. Good point.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:49 AM   #18
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Ah, so money is more important the future health of the earth. Good point.
They are most definitely not mutually exclusive. Money is the most important factor in determining the future health of the earth.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:21 AM   #19
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I, for one, truly believe in the best intended altruism of large corporations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:39 AM   #20
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
They are most definitely not mutually exclusive. Money is the most important factor in determining the future health of the earth.
So better stop spending it on that entirely... without anything to replace it... because reasons
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote