Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2016, 07:56 PM   #41
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 View Post
put it on kijiji.
as is!!! Final sale!
Old 05-03-2016, 09:35 PM   #42
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Is spraying a power washer into the bush/side of the house where they could be living a good or bad idea?
If by "pressure washer" you mean "blow torch" then it's a very good idea.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:39 PM   #43
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:42 PM   #44
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you can see the nest, take em out yourself.

Inside your home and your not sure, call a pro.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:45 PM   #45
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Found a few holes near the outside of the foundation. Upon further thought we did catch a mouse or two. Would it make sense the wasps have moved into however the mouse got in?

Any ideas how to proceed and other wreck foundation
... sprayed some RAID down but I don't think it will be affective.
DO IT YOURSELF: HOW TO SUCK HORNETS (AND DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK) Comments from Youtube

Quote:
Read through all directions before attempting at your own risk, because seriously this is just how I did this and I am not responsible for you.

STEP 1) PREPARATION: Prep: Assess the hornet infestation and how you might need to modify your shop vacuum to best engage the enemy. Fix a hook, pole, or other such nonsense onto your shop vacuum tube to optimize its position with the hornets' main thoroughfare. PLAN YOUR ESCAPE ROUTE. Make sure the door is unlocked and your path is unobstructed. If the hornets get rowdy, get to running. DRESS FOR SUCCESS; cover yourself, minimize exposed skin - I'm talking thick coats, some work gloves, wear a beach towel around your neck like it is the fanciest scarf ever, cover your face.
(It is a good idea to sprinkle about a half cup of borax or another mild insect-killing desiccant along the bottom of the vacuum to be extra sure they are all dead when you have to open the vacuum later. Sucking up the powder afterward works, too, but it will be a little harder on your vacuum filter.)

STEP 2) It is time to position the vacuum. DON'T GET STUNG. Hook/Position the vacuum tube to your hornet hole. DON'T GET STUNG. Be certain before hand you have enough tube, because it would suck pretty bad to find out you need another foot of tube after you have approached the nest and began messing with it. DON'T GET STUNG. Elevate the vacuum itself if you need. And DON'T GET STUNG.

STEP 3) Use an extension cord to link the vacuum power supply safely inside the home. With the power UNPLUGGED, turn the vacuum to the ON position. There it will wait, unpowered, for deployment.

STEP 4) From your safest vantage point, piss off the hornets; thump on walls, toss rocks at nests, whatever - just don't get stung like a dumbass. Then, go safely plug the vacuum into the power receptacle from inside the home, turning it on.

STEP 5) Watch stupid hornets get sucked into your vacuum.

STEP 6) Repeat steps 4 and 5 (and I guess 6, sure, whatever) until hornet numbers are reduced enough for safe spraying with your pesticide of choice.

STEP 7) AFTERMATH: Once you are done poisoning the buhgeezuss out of the invading army, and there is no sign of life, seal up the point of entry or cut away the nest. Do not open vacuum to clear the hornets for a good week or so, just to be sure. Remember to mind their stingers; dead stingers still sting. If you hit anything with your poisons, like your fancy grill or your vacuum, be sure to clean it all and thoroughly wash up afterward.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:54 PM   #46
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
DO IT YOURSELF: HOW TO SUCK HORNETS (AND DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK) Comments from Youtube

Unless naplam is in vacuum I won't trust this method.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:58 PM   #47
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

We had a similar problem in our old place- the wasps were getting in through a hole that the cable man had drilled and not sealed. I went one night and sealed it with expanding foam.

The next few days some of the mf'ers started crawling up through the nearest floor heat register, so I took it off and saw their home there... sprayed the crap out of it with wasp killer and then foamed any crack I saw.

Did not see another wasp in that house.

P.S. I am not allergic, but I hate those mf'ers so much and I will scream like a little girl if one comes near me.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:26 PM   #48
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

My deepest condolences.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:37 PM   #49
Kidder
Franchise Player

Exp:

How is the OP so calm?? He lists like 30-50 Wasps in his house at any given time. If one ever gets in mine I go full Apocalypse Now.

Last year a wasp flew in my open car window while I was stopped for a light. And I was very fortunate not to crash my car. The only reason I open these threads are for the obligatory video of mass waspicide that always accompany them.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:51 PM   #50
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mivdo View Post
Then blow up your vacuum cleaner?
Lol no - they all just suffocate in there and can't fly eventually with all the dust accumulating on their wings. Bonus used to be the old clear vacuum cylinder where I could watch all of them frantically flying around inside.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2016, 11:59 PM   #51
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just invite them all to the Yacht club for some afternoon cocktails. WASPs just cannot resist that ####.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2016, 12:23 AM   #52
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I think wasps thrive in hot dry weather? Lots of them in Kelowna.

Mosquitos thrive after wet weather?
Yep wasps are fine in dry weather for whatever reason. Either way mosquitoes and wasps are born survivors. Sucks!
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:46 AM   #53
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think this will help the OP out at all, but for those that notice a wasp(s) (small number of them) entering a hole or into a portion of the deck, etc., now is the time to get rid of them.

I stand outside with an old badminton racquet to get the first one or two that are entering/leaving a particular spot that I find too close to a door or a high-traffic area in my yard. Kill one or two - the guys that are foraging for what I am guessing is the nest filled with growing wasp larvae - and you essentially kill the nest.

I have had big issues with wasp nests in the past in my yard in certain places. Standing outside for 5-10 minutes 2 or 3 times a day for a day or two and getting these early guys completely eliminates any wasp problems for me. I just wish I caught the queens in the fall finding a different spot in the area and not needing to do this altogether.

I am guessing at their life-cycle anyways. It makes sense to me, and I have been right thus far for the last couple of years. Try this in mid-summer? I end up running away shrieking like a little girl while getting chased and stung by 50+ wasps. Get them now - one at a time, and only a couple at most - and your problem is more or less solved for the rest of the season. I ignore all other wasps - including wasps that just kind of buzz around and then move away from the area. I just find I have to kill a few of them, and I never get bothered by them the rest of the season.

I heard mixed reviews on the fake wasp nests. I should really try that instead - maybe at least it would keep the queens in the fall away in the first place?

For the OP and his basement... I wouldn't know what to do there. Lots of thick clothing? Tennis racquet instead of a badminton racquet? Good luck! I always try not to use any pesticides and/or other chemicals on my property - just hate having any types of poisons around. Pretty sure the wasps would win in that situation against me, and I would end up as being their food for the entire season.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2016, 12:59 AM   #54
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Today I saw a wasp gnawing on a cedar fence board. Anyway I've had good success with the fake nests.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:18 AM   #55
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 05-04-2016, 01:23 AM   #56
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Who wants to raise a dragonfly army with me? Let's just totally unleash a biblical plague of dragonflies and watch the wasps plead for mercy
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:49 AM   #57
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

CRC will kill them in mid-flight.
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:59 AM   #58
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Prevention now is key for sure. Anytime I see a wasp flying around our house, I will stalk it and see if it goes anyway. Had a few nests around the house last year and really want to avoid it. So far, so good - they just looking for spots, don't find any, and move on. Fingers crossed.

And I'll echo Cro's advice - this sound like a time to get the professionals. It's not like the nest is under your steps and you can unload a can of spray foam without worrying about it. This is your foundation and on its way into your home - plugging the path to the outside is not something I'd want to do.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:07 AM   #59
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post
I have this issue every summer with a small hole under the front step, removing the nest/filling the hole and going full genocide each time. They always rebuild in the same spot. It's over man, get all your stuff and go on vacation, we'll take care of the rest
I've had this problem before and once I was able to unload a couple of cans of spray in there that took care of them. A couple of years ago we had the front steps replaced and they were able to rebuild again, and the spray didn't work.
I set up a shop vac, with water in it, right at the opening and let it run for about 1/2 hour at a time. It hoovered them in and the the ones that weren't killed by being smashed around the inside of the shop vac, drowned. Any rate it took all weekend, but I was able to kill them all.
Old 05-07-2016, 01:05 PM   #60
Qwerty
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

It is time to call a professional. These buggers won't stop. 300plus killed and it is not slowing them down. Pretty sure they are in the fireplace area.

Anyone have any recommendations or individual they know?
Qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote