Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2015, 02:46 PM   #41
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
If they do and the other brand down the street doesn't, guess where people will go? Yup, where there's less hassle. Making it a rule ensures they won't lose ground against a competitor.
The amount of hassle doesn't change regardless.

You have two ways to pay, either at the pump or inside. You have to pay either way. Does it really matter if you do it before or after you pump your gas?
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:51 PM   #42
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, it's no hassle - but the perception was that it is.
This wasn't posted for no good reason:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Can we all finally agree BC got it right with pay at the pump???
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:54 PM   #43
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone actually still go inside to pay? I don't think I've done that for like six or seven years.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2015, 02:56 PM   #44
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
If they do and the other brand down the street doesn't, guess where people will go? Yup, where there's less hassle. Making it a rule ensures they won't lose ground against a competitor.

People think pay at the pump is a hassle? It's the greatest thing ever to not have to deal with some disingenuous gas bar employee that will try and skim your credit card and wait in line for the 3 pack a day bingo queen to check her lotto tickets and buy her weeks groceries at the FasGas.

I only use pay at the pump stations, and nothing else. To me it is an inconvenience if they don't have it.

Last edited by pylon; 06-08-2015 at 02:58 PM.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2015, 02:56 PM   #45
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Does anyone actually still go inside to pay? I don't think I've done that for like six or seven years.
The elderly/technologically impaired typically.

The minute you make something technology oriented a mandatory requirement related to your business, you lose a lot of man hours dealing with support and complaints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:58 PM   #46
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
They probably don't own the station. Lots of gas stations are independently owned and just sell a certain brand of fuel.

The company I work for has every major brand of gas station in it's network so just cause you see "Shell" or "Esso" doesn't mean that IOL or Shell own those stations.
No, but they own the franchise right. So the question is still valid. If Centex is so concerned about pay at the pump, then they should be making it a part of the contracts they sign with their franchisees. The company is ultimately seeking to deflect blame elsewhere.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:58 PM   #47
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Centex calls for mandatory pre-pay legislation as officials probe gas-and-dash incident

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...-dash-incident
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:00 PM   #48
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Is Centex really asking for more government regulation and intervention in their business?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:01 PM   #49
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I respect the lady for what she did. She has balls of steel and judging by what she did, I wouldn't want to mess with her. I wish for her a speedy recovery and justice to be served on her behalf.

Having said that, as an attendant she's probably making ~$15/h. No way in hell you could pay me that and have me risk my life like that for some ###### in a truck who is too cheap to pay for gas.

Hopefully they catch the guy and throw the book at him (lol). But that was a foolish move on her part. Brave, but foolish.
I have about as much respect for this lady's actions as I would someone agreeing to jump head first into a kiddie pool from the roof of their house for $50. She was stupid. Colossally stupid, and almost fatally so.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 06-08-2015, 03:02 PM   #50
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
The elderly/technologically impaired typically.

The minute you make something technology oriented a mandatory requirement related to your business, you lose a lot of man hours dealing with support and complaints.
I'm sorry, but my folks well into their 70's have no issues punching a PIN # into a gas pump, and a TV remote and sending a text on an iPhone is about as far as their tech expertise goes.

If you cannot operate a pay at the pump gas pump, you probably shouldn't be operating something far more sophisticated like an automobile. But for the 0.5% of people that struggle so hard at life, well, then you can go inside and pay first.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2015, 03:03 PM   #51
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Centex calls for mandatory pre-pay legislation as officials probe gas-and-dash incident

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...-dash-incident
Quote:
“We hope the new government reconsiders this issue and brings forward some much needed legislation and leadership,” said Bhura. The Herald has reached out to the provincial government for their response.

Bhura did not specify why his company has not implemented mandatory pre-pay, nor whether his company will do so. The Herald has asked for more information.
Now would probably be a good time to announce that, after recent events, Centex has decided to go all pre-pay.

Instead, it sounds like they are content to wait until they are forced to.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2015, 03:11 PM   #52
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
I'm sorry, but my folks well into their 70's have no issues punching a PIN # into a gas pump, and a TV remote and sending a text on an iPhone is about as far as their tech expertise goes.

If you cannot operate a pay at the pump gas pump, you probably shouldn't be operating something far more sophisticated like an automobile. But for the 0.5% of people that struggle so hard at life, well, then you can go inside and pay first.
I like your wishful thinking.

Quote:
Old 06-08-2015, 03:15 PM   #53
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Now would probably be a good time to announce that, after recent events, Centex has decided to go all pre-pay.

Instead, it sounds like they are content to wait until they are forced to.
Exactly I find the call from the Centex president to for governement regulation slimy.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:16 PM   #54
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol. This would be like SportChek holding employees responsible for stolen goods, so a kid tries to prevent a robbery and gets shot, so SportChek gets mad at the government for not forcing them to have better security. Something that is completely within their power to implement on their own.

I presume Centex, and all other gas distributors were fully for the government intervention of pre-pay when it first came up and spent no money at all to lobby against it. None.

Has this whole "employee is responsible for stolen gas" thing been confirmed? As soon as my boss told me that I would pull a groin turning to leave.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:18 PM   #55
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post

Has this whole "employee is responsible for stolen gas" thing been confirmed? As soon as my boss told me that I would pull a groin turning to leave.
Unless you were desperate for a job.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2015, 03:21 PM   #56
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Unless you were desperate for a job.
Exactly the type of people who should be on the hook for $100 worth of gas for the F-150 that just bailed. Who could ever foresee one of those people going to the extreme to prevent this from happening, seeing as it probably wipes out a couple days of work for them.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:31 PM   #57
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I like your wishful thinking.
What's wishful about it?

This is exactly how it works in BC. If you are so lame you don't qualify for a credit card or debit card, or if you want to pay cash, you go inside and pay first. If you have change, you go back to get it.

IMO that's how it should work, and if I owned a gas station, it's exactly how I would run my business... gov't mandate or not.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:37 PM   #58
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
What's wishful about it?

This is exactly how it works in BC. If you are so lame you don't qualify for a credit card or debit card, or if you want to pay cash, you go inside and pay first. If you have change, you go back to get it.

IMO that's how it should work, and if I owned a gas station, it's exactly how I would run my business... gov't mandate or not.
I mean wishful thinking in believing that there isn't a sizeable portion of the population that has trouble with literally any technology change, even one as idiot simple as a PIN pad.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2015, 04:04 PM   #59
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I'm thinking Centex is probably trying to attract more franchisees and forcing everyone who sells their fuel to do pre pay when others don't will make that harder.

They don't have nearly the recognition of the majors.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:43 PM   #60
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Lol. This would be like SportChek holding employees responsible for stolen goods
Side note: Forzani Group actually used to give employees half the cost of recovered stolen item(s) as a bonus. That practice has been stopped for reasons much like this case.

Used to chase shoplifters all the time when I worked there. Until one guy dropped a handful of needles and paraphernalia when we were running after him in the 15+. That was the last time.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote