Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2014, 05:35 PM   #41
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yikes... What are kick in the balls.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2014, 07:22 PM   #42
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I wonder if the Fed steps in and legislates cheap tower rentals to Wind. This maybe the best option, as Wind won't have to invest in infastructure, just lease from Big 3 for cheap.

That is an even better outcome IMO. As Wind will have the same phone support and coverage but be way cheaper.

Guess we'll see.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:18 PM   #43
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

So much for the viable fourth cellular provider. I switched to Wind based on cost and thinking they'd get some spectrum and signal improving somewhere down the line. Now I may have to switch back eventually. Sigh.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2014, 11:47 PM   #44
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
So much for the viable fourth cellular provider. I switched to Wind based on cost and thinking they'd get some spectrum and signal improving somewhere down the line. Now I may have to switch back eventually. Sigh.
I'm pretty happy with Wind so far. I'm curious about your signal issues. I've had a bit of trouble downtown, but other than that I'm pretty damn happy. It's about $90/month less US long distance in my pocket and that buys a whole bunch of roaming data/minutes when I'm out of a Wind zone.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:24 AM   #45
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I give up, I'm going to Rogers in the coming weeks.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:07 AM   #46
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I'm pretty happy with Wind so far. I'm curious about your signal issues. I've had a bit of trouble downtown, but other than that I'm pretty damn happy. It's about $90/month less US long distance in my pocket and that buys a whole bunch of roaming data/minutes when I'm out of a Wind zone.
My problem is that I haven't been able to get the roaming to work. Outside the city, I have zero service.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:33 AM   #47
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
I give up, I'm going to Rogers in the coming weeks.
Honest question but why? (Maybe not serious?) You seemed to always give Wind a push when you have been on here, what has changed?

It would have taken a year (at least) to roll out 700mhz in any way. So why not stick it out save money and see what the government does next.

If the govt is really that committed to competition, they will take some measure to help Wind. As I said before they may mandate cheap tower leases, and Wind should thrive.

My phone is paid for by work and it is Rogers. I really like the service, but no way would I pay for it myself, I have seen their rates. At least go with a Virgin no contract, and if Wind gets help you can switch anytime.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:35 AM   #48
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Honest question but why? (Maybe not serious?) You seemed to always give Wind a push when you have been on here, what has changed?

It would have taken a year (at least) to roll out 700mhz in any way. So why not stick it out save money and see what the government does next.

If the govt is really that committed to competition, they will take some measure to help Wind. As I said before they may mandate cheap tower leases, and Wind should thrive.
It was a comment made mostly of out frustration, so apologies in advance if the rest of this comes off as whining.

It's frustration to be honest. I've been looking forward to this auction for sometime and to have the one player be forced to pull out last minute is just a deflating feelings. It's like the Flames getting ready for what many think would be a long playoff run right before the playoffs and the entire team breaks there legs and are forced to withdraw from the post season.

At this point I truly don't believe the Government of Canada or the CRTC wants what's best for the wireless industry here, they just wanted to soak up as much money from these new entrants as possible. The foreign ownership rules are a joke and if they wanted to do cell tower sharing they would have done it sooner by now.

Wind isn't going anywhere for the foreseeable future, sure.. but I have a hard time seeing a real future now. They needed spectrum, bottom line. Yes they made a bid for Mobiliticy and their spectrum and yes they could re-purpose some of that AWS into LTE but it's not nearly enough. The was such a golden opportunity for a company like Wind and it's gone.

Obviously there are still some options. Between Telus, Bell and Rogers they can only bid on two of the prime paired blocks in each area, so what do they do if there is any left? Who knows... maybe Wind can get it some of it down the line.. but they won't be getting enough to form a real 4th national carrier anymore. The guys in Quebec and Sask are now guaranteed to do it and that'll leave Wind out of the national picture regardless.

Sorry for the rant but when it comes to this I'm totally deflated now. Frustrated.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2014, 11:34 AM   #49
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Personally I just think the parent company refusing to finance is just a play to try and get the government to further open up the foreign ownership rules. Might work.

They can always buy spectrum later.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:14 PM   #50
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What a twist.
http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/01/14/vi...utside-quebec/
Quote:
Videotron reportedly signs NDA with Mobilicity, may be expanding outside Quebec
Quote:
Fan noted that Quebecor “may leverage the licenses to gain a more favorable network sharing deal with RCI (in Quebec) or become a solution to the government’s 4th operator objective in BC, AB and ON with a network sharing arrangement with Wind/Mobilicity that may also include an incumbent like Rogers.”

If true, it’s certainly an interesting play as Videotron could very well end up being Canada’s fourth national carrier. Videotron is also bidding in the desired 700 MHz spectrum auction that started today
I've heard nothing but good things about Videotron but didn't know they had aspirations outside just being in Quebec.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:45 PM   #51
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

MTS is also bidding in the auction, and depending on what they buy could go beyond Manitoba as well.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:51 PM   #52
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wind's withdrawal has literally ruined my evening.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:52 PM   #53
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
MTS is also bidding in the auction, and depending on what they buy could go beyond Manitoba as well.
I hope not. Mts has high prices just like the other three. Mts in manitoba is the same as telus in alberta.

I was hoping wind would be in the auction. I have almost no trouble with wind so it's not a big deal though. If anything i had worse city reception with rogers. Just check how many " is rogers down" threads there are on cp.

Last edited by stampsx2; 01-14-2014 at 09:56 PM.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:03 PM   #54
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish Sasktel would expand beyond saskatchewan. Take a look at rates there and they are cheaper than here, they have no population density and they turn a profit to the government. Cable is cheaper there to. They are a crown corp. that really challanges the notion that private business is more effective than government run.

Or just reenforces that the only thing worse than a government run business is a private monopoly or oligopoly.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:19 PM   #55
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I wish Sasktel would expand beyond saskatchewan. Take a look at rates there and they are cheaper than here, they have no population density and they turn a profit to the government. Cable is cheaper there to. They are a crown corp. that really challanges the notion that private business is more effective than government run.

Or just reenforces that the only thing worse than a government run business is a private monopoly or oligopoly.
No it doesn't. It just means they are leaving profit on the table because they want to keep the voters happy. If a non-government entity took it over it would make a lot more profit and be a lot more efficient. It would mean higher phone bills but companies are suppose to be in the business of making money.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:23 AM   #56
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I wish Sasktel would expand beyond saskatchewan. Take a look at rates there and they are cheaper than here
And actually MTS has similar; if not better rates. However that is the point here; having a 4th legitimate competitor would be better that the current 2.5 we have now. (Calling it 2.5 and not 3 as Bell and Telus share so much infrastructure that they really don't "compete" against each other.)
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:40 AM   #57
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Well there goes all of the hope and excitement...
Not surprising. They're going to buy Mobilicity's spectrum through bankruptcy courts at cents on the dollar.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:10 AM   #58
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
No it doesn't. It just means they are leaving profit on the table because they want to keep the voters happy. If a non-government entity took it over it would make a lot more profit and be a lot more efficient. It would mean higher phone bills but companies are suppose to be in the business of making money.
So, if I understand your logic correctly, people are better off allowing private enterprise to make money on services that are more cheaply provided by the government? And that would be why, exactly?

"Government services are more costly than private enterprise can deliver! Privatize!"
"Government services are cheaper than private enterprise can deliver! Privatize again!"

Further, what proof do you have of the bolded part of your post - have you ever actually worked for a very large corporation like Bell or Telus? If you had, the idea that they are any more efficient than a government would make you laugh loud and long.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:10 AM   #59
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
More profitable does not mean more efficient, at least not in a monopoly/oligopoly like exists in this sector. Hence the desire to bring in more competition.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobblehead For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2014, 01:13 PM   #60
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
So, if I understand your logic correctly, people are better off allowing private enterprise to make money on services that are more cheaply provided by the government? And that would be why, exactly?
I never said the consumer would be better off with private enterprise, I'm saying the company would do better financially as a private enterprise.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote