Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-11-2011, 01:31 AM   #1
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:
Default I QUIT! The quitting smoking support thread.

Inspired by vanflamesfan's thread, this is the thread dedicated to those of us commiting to kicking the habit. Select your start date and declare your intentions. This thread obviously will run on the honor system, and if you drop out, or slip up, we are here to support each other, not bash each other.

I have quit a couple times in the past, and made it a few years twice. I always felt the best way was to lead yourself into it for a few days to come to grips with the fact that you will be grumpy as hell for a couple weeks. Some people have better success calling it cold turkey, but that has never worked for me. I like to schedule the occasion, and tell as many people as I can my intentions, to add more pressure on myself not to restart, and look like a flake. So that being said:

On Monday February 14 I am kicking the habit, after 17 years of off again, but mainly on again smoking.

mods: feel free to merge with vanflamesfans thread if you like, or move the thread to another forum. I kinda think the original thread kinda went of the rails a bit though.

Also, those that are not current or ex-smokers, please, don't crap on this thread and come in here telling us how bad it is, or how much it costs. Every smoker knows these stats, and just want a place to discuss our intentions, successes, struggles and I am sure some failures.

here is a link to the group if you wish to join:
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/group.php?groupid=37

Last edited by pylon; 02-11-2011 at 01:51 AM.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2011, 01:35 AM   #2
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

And ex-smokers can join in with encouragement!
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2011, 01:39 AM   #3
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
And ex-smokers can join in with encouragement!
Agreed.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:51 AM   #4
WesternCanadaKing
Giver of Calculators

Exp:

Monday is as good a day as ever. All this quitting and relapsing really has to stop, maybe this will keep me more honest.

I heard that exercising really helps with the cravings, a friend told me that he wouldn't have been able to quit without it. Some good motivation for starting to go to the gym, which is also something I've been trying to do more of.
WesternCanadaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:56 AM   #5
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternCanadaKing View Post
Monday is as good a day as ever. All this quitting and relapsing really has to stop, maybe this will keep me more honest.

I heard that exercising really helps with the cravings, a friend told me that he wouldn't have been able to quit without it. Some good motivation for starting to go to the gym, which is also something I've been trying to do more of.
I started working out like crazy a few months ago, and yes, it is a huge help. I cut back from close to a pack a day, down to 5-8 a day. Pretty much just lighting up at work right now, and that.... will be the hardest part, as half of our staff smokes, and we have no rules about smoke breaks.

And feel free to be the first member of the group.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:29 AM   #6
WesternCanadaKing
Giver of Calculators

Exp:

Thats what really got me smoking in a bad way was my old job. I would just smoke the entire time I was there (when you work at a gas station, there's really not much else to do). My new job isn't nearly as accommodating, so thats going to be a huge help... but the hardest part for me is not having that stupid first morning smoke. Thats when I crave it the most is when I first wake up.
WesternCanadaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:57 AM   #7
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

the last full cigarette I had was Wednesday Jan 29th. I have lit one up here and there but after a couple drags, I throw it out. I would say since Jan 29th, I have smoked the equivalent of one full cigarette. I have zero cigarettes in my possesion as of right now and don't plan on smoking again.

This will be the time I finally quit. 13 years is enough.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2011, 03:09 AM   #8
Young-Sneezy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

good luck gents!

as one of the first posters on your thread, i feel as though i would be entitled to a portion of the money you will be saving by not smoking... an estimation:

Pack of cigarettes: $10.00
Pack per day (7 days in a week): $70.00
52 weeks in a year: $3,640.00 ($1,820.00 for pack per 2 days)

$3640.00 @ 17 years $61,880

* I took into consideration a few things when this absolutely rough number came up... it was off and on, is it for sure a pack a day? etc etc.. but think of all the implicit costs... travelling to get smokes, paying for a gf or friends or whatever on occasion, sharing smokes thus doubling your "consumption"*

All the power to you guys, your kids, kids will one day be stoked you did it!
Young-Sneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:00 AM   #9
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am in, great idea! So are we done as of 12:00 am monday morning?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:10 AM   #10
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Drink LOTS of water and every time you get the urge to smoke think of naked women instead....unless of course your a woman, in which case think of shoes.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2011, 07:13 AM   #11
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's 10 bucks for a pack of cigs there? or is the 10 bucks will all the implicit costs added in?
Old 02-11-2011, 07:15 AM   #12
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quitters always prosper.

Good luck to all of you. Looking back at the first few weeks (and even first few months) and wonder how the heck I stuck with it......they were tough. But some of the things that got me through:

Quit Keeper computer app. http://www.dedicateddesigns.com/qk/ Tells you how long you've lasted, how many times you didn't smoke, your savings, and tracks numerous time/dollar goals.

Smoking Cessation Timeline: http://www.highlighthealth.com/cance...when-you-quit/ Tells you about the physical improvements you can expect, and when.

My Bank Account: <No access being given, lol> The balance grew every month ~$275 more than my personal budget. Pretty clear where the money came from.
WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:16 AM   #13
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
It's 10 bucks for a pack of cigs there? or is the 10 bucks will all the implicit costs added in?
The 7-11 charge ~$12.50 for premium brands.
WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:17 AM   #14
pope04
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

nm
pope04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:18 AM   #15
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
This was a big reason I quit, who the hell wants to pay $10 a pack?
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:33 AM   #16
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good luck guys.

I am coming up on my 6 year anniversary on Marck 7th. I've never slipped once.

IMHO, the key to quitting is desire, you really have to want to quit. Any other motiviation pales in comparison.

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to -TC- For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2011, 07:34 AM   #17
Save Us Sutter
I'll get you next time Gadget!

Exp:

Today will be my 100th day without a smoke. I wore a patch for the first week and then just old fashioned will power since then.

Considering the last month of my life has involved finding out my father had cancer and consequently losing him a week ago... I think I'm doing pretty good not lighting up.

So my support to all of you who are trying. I tell ya, it feels DAMN good to be conquering it.

Save Us Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Save Us Sutter For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2011, 07:35 AM   #18
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TC- View Post
Good luck guys.

I am coming up on my 6 year anniversary on Marck 7th. I've never slipped once.

IMHO, the key to quitting is desire, you really have to want to quit. Any other motiviation pales in comparison.
Quoted for truth. Visiting a friend's father who had terminal lung cancer was a pretty good motivator for myself as well.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:36 AM   #19
SeoulFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

July 2005 and going strong. Power to you all!

Celery sticks and carrot sticks are your friends!
SeoulFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:43 AM   #20
gordo67
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have been smoking for 25 years, I don't smoke a lot (maybe 3-4 a day) and unlike most people don't really smoke when I drink. So I should beable to quit no problem! Wrong!! I have been quitting for 6 years and guess I just haven't had my heart into it because I am still smoking.. My stop smoking day is April 2nd this year. I work in the oilfield and that will be the start of my 2 month spring break (I usually don't smoke too much when I am home). I have a prescription for Champix and will try that out.
gordo67 is offline   Reply With Quote