Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 03:34 PM   #861
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This is an ideal situation for Hamonic to enter.

He's coming onto a team in western canada, which is apparently what he wanted, but more importantly, he's coming into a pre-assembled d core under contract. Everybody pulling together in the same direction.

He gets to go from playing the 1st or 2nd most minutes per night to playing 3rd-5th most minutes, and goes from a situation where he is expected to put up points to a situation where the 3 guys in front of him carry the lions share of that responsibility. He's got the lowest cap hit of the group, so he won't have the extra eyes on him like Bouwmeester seemed to with his massive contract; and he gets to look forward to playing on a nightly basis with a more than capable defender on the other side of the ice.

Ideal situation. Home run for the Flames.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 03:37 PM   #862
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Anyone who has led his team to not one, but two cups as their leading scorer and leading playoff scorer, is a superstar.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:41 PM   #863
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The very idea you can quantify a Cup winning team by breaking it down into number of definable super-stars is a puzzling notion. Within ten minutes of the idea being raised there are arguments about what defines a "superstar".

There are so many arbitrary factors in a successful Cup run (staying healthy / depth when facing injuries, momentum/streaks, hot goaltenders, big upsets within a conference before the finals) it's a total crapshoot.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 03:49 PM   #864
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSpring2013 View Post
except for six of the last 8 cup winners...
kopitar 2 , toews 3, the bruins in 2011 with a similar pairing of krejci and bergeron (monahan backlund)...

the only one far and away above monahan's level is pitts with crosby and malkin obviously..

toews is so fn overrated. guys busted 70 points, one time.
I love Money, but he's not in the conversation with any of those guys...yet (except Krejci). Offering Monahan for Kopitar, Toews, or Bergeron 1 for 1 is a laughable idea for the other team.

For the Flames to contend for a cup, at least one of Money or Bennett will need to establish themselves to that level in the next 5 years.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:51 PM   #865
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think what the label discussion really boils down to is having a player or players that control the play. When they are on the ice they control the play.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:53 PM   #866
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Mark Jankowski and Bennett are our wildcards. To the extent that they develop is how far as franchise we'll go. I think Jankowski's potential is through the roof still.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 03:58 PM   #867
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'd like to point out that Monahan was basically all of Calgary's offense in the playoffs last year and showed that when he is on he is one the premiere goal scorers in the entire league.

If the Flames make noise in the playoffs Monahan may end up being the most significant contributor.

Criminally underrated/appreciated.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 04:01 PM   #868
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Mark Jankowski and Bennett are our wildcards. To the extent that they develop is how far as franchise we'll go. I think Jankowski's potential is through the roof still.
I'd say Bennett still has a higher ceiling than Jankowski. Jankowski is still shiny because he's about to enter the NHL after a long anticipated journey, but I bet once another season goes by we'll start to see Bennett as the more sure bet top six centre.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:21 PM   #869
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
This is an ideal situation for Hamonic to enter.

He's coming onto a team in western canada, which is apparently what he wanted, but more importantly, he's coming into a pre-assembled d core under contract. Everybody pulling together in the same direction.

He gets to go from playing the 1st or 2nd most minutes per night to playing 3rd-5th most minutes, and goes from a situation where he is expected to put up points to a situation where the 3 guys in front of him carry the lions share of that responsibility. He's got the lowest cap hit of the group, so he won't have the extra eyes on him like Bouwmeester seemed to with his massive contract; and he gets to look forward to playing on a nightly basis with a more than capable defender on the other side of the ice.

Ideal situation. Home run for the Flames.
This. Even if you believe Flames gave up too much, you can't deny this is a good situation for Hamonic.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:17 PM   #870
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I do like the acquisition of Hamonic and think he'll be a nice fit in the top 4. But I can't help think of all the draft picks that have been spent acquiring recent players like Hamilton, Elliott, Lazar, Smith & Hamonic (2 x 1sts & 7 x 2nds). That's an unreal number of picks that's akin to mortgaging your future.

Here's to hoping that they're late picks and this team becomes elite over the next decade to attract top college free agents.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:47 PM   #871
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
I do like the acquisition of Hamonic and think he'll be a nice fit in the top 4. But I can't help think of all the draft picks that have been spent acquiring recent players like Hamilton, Elliott, Lazar, Smith & Hamonic (2 x 1sts & 7 x 2nds). That's an unreal number of picks that's akin to mortgaging your future.

Here's to hoping that they're late picks and this team becomes elite over the next decade to attract top college free agents.
While it is a lot of picks you also have to take into account the Flames acquired quite a few picks while rebuilding. Off the top of my head there were 2x 1sts for Iginla and Bouwmeester, 3x 2nds for Glencross, Baertschi, and Russell, and 2x 3rds for Glencross and Hudler. After restocking the farm system using those picks the team can now afford to go without as many picks for a few years.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:50 PM   #872
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

^ You've got that slightly wrong. Iginla returned a 1st, Hanowski, and Agostino. Bouwmeester returned a 1st, Berra, and Cundari. Glencross returned a 2nd and a 3rd. Baertschi returned a 2nd. Russell returned a 2nd, Jokipakka, and Pollock. Hudler returned a 2nd and a 4th.

Overall, that's 2 1sts, 4 2nds, and a 3rd. 5 2nds if you count the pick that Berra was traded for.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 11:16 PM   #873
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSpring2013 View Post
not many... unless u want to lower the bar.. which would then include monahan
So who are they . You ignored the question. I want to know who the superstar centres are in your mind.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:33 PM   #874
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I'd say Bennett still has a higher ceiling than Jankowski. Jankowski is still shiny because he's about to enter the NHL after a long anticipated journey, but I bet once another season goes by we'll start to see Bennett as the more sure bet top six centre.
I could see either one becoming our #1 center tbh. They both excel in different areas. Janko is more cerebral, slows the game down, great passer and strong in his own zone. While Bennett is more of that bulldog pest who's dynamic and has great hands. Both are special players and aren't anywhere close to being done developing.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:35 PM   #875
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

On another note... Brodie? Dougie?? Lol. We'll keep both Cox, thanks.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 01:16 AM   #876
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

'our core' or however you wanna call it

Gaudreau
Bennett
Monahan
Tkachuk
Backlund
Hamilton
Giordano
Hamonic
Brodie

guys like Jankowski, Valimaki, Kylington, Andersson, Parsons, Gillies, Fox waiting in the wings... man. That looks real nice.
Gotta think the Flames will be focusing a bit more on forwards now though haha. Loaded defense. We were thin before BT took over. Really like how Treliving rebuilt the defense on the NHL roster and prospect wise in a decently short period of time. Getting two young, top end defensemen who fit into our core for a handful of picks is pretty amazing. You always hear from GMs and others around the league about how hard it is to get such players, but here is Brad Treliving, snatching them up for a song. I think we're in good hands.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JurassicTunga12 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 07:44 AM   #877
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicTunga12 View Post
'our core' or however you wanna call it

Gaudreau
Bennett
Monahan
Tkachuk
Backlund
Hamilton
Giordano
Hamonic
Brodie

guys like Jankowski, Valimaki, Kylington, Andersson, Parsons, Gillies, Fox waiting in the wings... man. That looks real nice.
Gotta think the Flames will be focusing a bit more on forwards now though haha. Loaded defense. We were thin before BT took over. Really like how Treliving rebuilt the defense on the NHL roster and prospect wise in a decently short period of time. Getting two young, top end defensemen who fit into our core for a handful of picks is pretty amazing. You always hear from GMs and others around the league about how hard it is to get such players, but here is Brad Treliving, snatching them up for a song. I think we're in good hands.
Man, I love this team!

Not to mention the lower ceiling but solid prospects like Kulak, Wotherspoon & possibly Poirer/Klimchuk that could round out the lineup on the cheap going forward
Old 06-26-2017, 07:52 AM   #878
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

per Friedman, the Islanders really wanted a prospect from the Flames that Treliving wasn't willing to give up so they settled for all picks

Last edited by sureLoss; 06-26-2017 at 07:56 AM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 08:00 AM   #879
Flames_F.T.W
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
per Friedman, the Islanders really wanted a prospect from the Flames that Treliving wasn't willing to give up so they settled for all picks
Now I'm fascinated as to who the prospect was? One of the D? Kylington/Andersson?
Old 06-26-2017, 08:01 AM   #880
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_F.T.W View Post
Now I'm fascinated as to who the prospect was? One of the D? Kylington/Andersson?
Think it is Fox. He is from the Long Island area too.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread