Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2016, 02:29 AM   #101
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Hope all goes well Thor. Good luck!!
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2016, 12:41 PM   #102
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good luck Thor! As an update I'm officially down 75 lbs this year. Coming slower now but I'm still doing the right things. I have about another 15-20 to go. At this point I'm not so much worried about losing but rather making sure I don't gain back the fat.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2016, 12:43 PM   #103
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Is it true one can't/shouldn't drink carbonated beverages after having some kind of bariatric surgery?
Old 10-01-2016, 01:42 PM   #104
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good luck Thor
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2016, 07:45 PM   #105
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

My previous roommate is doing this as well. So I'll be following you and her with the progress. Take care buddy.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to To Be Quite Honest For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2016, 10:10 PM   #106
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good luck, buddy.

BTW I think that lifting heavier things is far better than running on a treadmill like a hamster.

My cardio is fine, so I only hit the treadmill for 15 minutes before a work-out of heavy lifting. The weight of your body should not directly matter when you are exercising heavily 90 minutes 4-5 times a week.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:37 PM   #107
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
What is missing here is that if you want to keep a healthy metabolism going, weight or resistance training needs to be added to the mix. Muscle burns more calories than fat, and your body tends to burn calories post exercise repairing and rebuilding muscle tissue.

The stigma around weight lifting needs to be removed as well.
Cardio is the WORST. Waste of time. Boring. The first time I hit 250 on the deadlift made every single hair stand on end. It's a thrill.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2016, 03:30 AM   #108
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Is it true one can't/shouldn't drink carbonated beverages after having some kind of bariatric surgery?
Yeah especially first 4 weeks, gas takes up space in your very limited 250ml stomach lol. I have to plan meals, what little they are by not drinking anything 30 mins before or after so I have room for the food.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:34 AM   #109
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Cardio is the WORST. Waste of time. Boring. The first time I hit 250 on the deadlift made every single hair stand on end. It's a thrill.
Really people need to start looking at exercise for health benefits, not weight loss. Obviously it has that benefit, but too few people enjoy regular workouts, and science is certainly pointing us in the direction of 100% of the work for obese is all about relationship with food, what you eat, your emotional ties to it.

I will most certainly work out, just weight lifting almost exclusively when I'm allowed in about 6 weeks.

The idea that you eat a snack of 500 calories, go hit the treadmill to burn it off is not only wrong, its pervasive with trainers and gym philosophy. But as with all science it takes a while to get in to the mainstream thinking, especially when it comes to the cluster##### that IS the diet and exercise industry.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:19 AM   #110
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I do 2 hours of intense cardio per day. Get to watch a lot of TV and read. I am also down to 170 and size 32 for the first time since GRade 10.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2016, 11:00 AM   #111
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Health-wise, unfortunately, lifting does little for you. It helps promote bone density and there is the obvious benefit of having strength and more muscle mass to increase your BMR but as far as cardiovascular health goes, lifting doesn't actually improve your HEALTH all that much. ie your blood lipid profile, heart health, lung function, etc

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:59 AM   #112
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, ideally you do both, but if you're only doing one, cardio has more health benefits. It's extremely beneficial to your cardiovascular health to have regular sustained periods with an elevated heart rate and weight lifting simply doesn't provide that.

Doesn't mean you have to run on a treadmill or sit on an exercise bike for hours at a time, but anyone devoting their time to regular weight training is doing themselves a disservice by not incorporating at least a few hours of cardio a week.

And yeah, I agree with Vlad about the weight loss with a ton of cardio. In periods where I ride my bike a ton, I basically have to basically force feed myself some days just to maintain my weight.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 01:24 PM   #113
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I do about 100 minutes of cardio per week, and a portion of my lifting is interval training. I am just saying that cardio, in a gym, is awful.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:38 PM   #114
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I do about 100 minutes of cardio per week, and a portion of my lifting is interval training. I am just saying that cardio, in a gym, is awful.
Totally agree. 99% of mine is outside. Biking, running, cross country skiing...lots of options. Those machines are soul sucking. Really cold winter days I'll hop on the exercise bike in my basement and watch TV, other than that it's outside.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:00 PM   #115
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
So just went to Poland and had the Gastric sleeve surgery done, and it went utterly fantastic. The surgery was last Saturday, by Monday I felt almost ready to fly back home but stayed a few more days.

One of the newspapers here covered the story of me going and is going to follow along, so I'll update of course on my progress, the diet is very strict especially the first few months but its a breeze so far. 80% of the stomach was taken and now my levels of the hormone grelin seem bang on, no cravings even with a water diet, my stomach can now hold about 250ml of stuff, easy to get full.

Of course if anyone has any questions about the whole thing, publicly or privately do give me a shout.
Out of curiosity Ive got some questions if you dont mind sharing any of this info.

Why did you decide on this particular type of surgery vs other options?

Why did you go to Poland for the surgery? How much did it cost? How does aftercare work when you are back in Iceland if you have any complications from the surgery in Poland, over the short or longer-term?

Is there counseling or other help offered with the surgery? Ive read that overeating can still be a problem after surgery, although it is more difficult. Im curious about this one as I seem to recall a few contestants on Biggest Loser in the USA that had previously had some sort of gastric surgery (cant remember the details) before regaining weight and appearing on the show.

I hope you have success with the surgery and achieve the results you desire on a lifelong basis.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:08 PM   #116
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thor, I hope everything is OK with you as you havent been around here for a few days.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taco.vidal For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2016, 08:11 AM   #117
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Out of curiosity Ive got some questions if you dont mind sharing any of this info.

Why did you decide on this particular type of surgery vs other options?
I ended up doing the Gastric Sleeve on the advice of my surgeon and Yoni Freedhoff our awesome Canadian obesity expert. Lap Band is not a good option, but sadly its very popular, the long term results are not very good in comparison to the bypass and sleeve.

Quote:
Why did you go to Poland for the surgery? How much did it cost? How does aftercare work when you are back in Iceland if you have any complications from the surgery in Poland, over the short or longer-term?
Poland offered a WAY cheaper option than the private clinic in Iceland, the Surgery was about 4700 EU with hotel, airport pickup and drop off, a person who literally follows you through all the tests and is your personal driver, interpreter.. It would have cost me nearly double in Iceland. Aftercare is just with my Doctor in Iceland and if any issues arise I just get help from the hospital, the sleeve has very little complications, so aftercare is very simple.

Quote:
Is there counseling or other help offered with the surgery? Ive read that overeating can still be a problem after surgery, although it is more difficult. Im curious about this one as I seem to recall a few contestants on Biggest Loser in the USA that had previously had some sort of gastric surgery (cant remember the details) before regaining weight and appearing on the show.
Not through the clinic, but these surgeries are not for people who have not truly tried everything, who are at least 40 BMI, have been struggling for a significant length of time. Its not the clinics job to counsel other than what medical intervention is best, but even Sleeve and Bypass (which is the most serious intervention, a last resort) have people who fail, usually years down the road since your stomach is so tiny, I couldn't over eat if I tried, they took 80% of my stomach and I have 250ml roughly of stomach space lol.

But that does increase slowly in size over the years, so if people start to go back to old habbits later on, its usually in year 2-5 that they manage to start gaining wait. The surgery is not a solution, but a tool to get you fast weight loss while re-learning your relationship with food.

I hope the google translate of this recent news interview I did, but I am stunned by how I don't think about food at all now, I'm never hungry, I can drive by a KFC with that damn smell of their food and not be triggered at all to want some. Now my stomach's hormone Grelin is telling me immediately when I'm full, its a wonderful feeling.

Quote:
I hope you have success with the surgery and achieve the results you desire on a lifelong basis.
Thank you! I have great hope this time around.

Here's the google translate of the article:

Biggest loser star stops with the unhealthy lifestyle

Last edited by Thor; 10-19-2016 at 08:19 AM.
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Thor For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 07:19 AM   #118
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

So just reached 50kg's since September, its been a eye opening experience for sure. I have lost most of my previous cravings for food, its just such a liberating experience and it seems I am one of the fortunate ones who get this side effect of the hunger hormone Grehlin dropping to normal levels as in healthy people.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:35 AM   #119
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm completely uneducated about this, this is the first time I've heard of Grehlin...is there such a thing as a pill that can control it? If so any opinion or first hand experience?

Congrats on the success, it must feel awesome, especially not having to battle cravings every day.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:48 AM   #120
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Nothing yet, but there is a lot of research in the gut bacterium, grehlin and leptin, as well as fecal bacterium all part of a broadening research field of the human biome and disease.