Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2017, 05:48 PM   #21
sharkov
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Happens in the same week Saudi cut all of its ties to Qatar for supporting terrorism
Old 06-08-2017, 05:56 PM   #22
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a #### country. My uncle and his family lived there for ~6 years during the 90s. The stories he tells....jesus.

If you can't have a moment of silence for terror victims because it's "against your culture" (whatever the F that means) , your culture is pure ####, plain and simple. And that's the bottom line, cause Stone Cold says so.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2017, 07:51 AM   #23
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Good read and another damning critique of the Saudis:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...-a7775116.html
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2017, 10:01 AM   #24
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't we always advise people to be aware of cultures in other countries when we travel?

That should be reciprocated.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:11 AM   #25
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

If I could look past the real problem for a moment... what a crazy way to ensure you get your ass destroyed in a soccer game. There's getting your opponent off their game and then there's getting your opponent laser focused on dismantling you.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:48 AM   #26
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why play soccer at all?
Isn't that a Western invention that is not in keeping with Saudi culture?
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2017, 10:50 AM   #27
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
the saudi arabian football federation condemns all acts of terrorism and extremism and extends its sincerest condolences to the families of all the victims and to the government and people of the united kingdom.
roflmao
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2017, 11:52 AM   #28
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Two Australians died in the London attacks and it was disgusting of the Saudis to not show some respect. If this was an attempt to get the Aussies off their game I am glad it backfired spectacularly. I am also glad there is international outrage over this and I hope Saudi Arabia does not qualify for the World Cup.

It looks like the Saudi Arabian football federation has issued an apology, however it is more of a sorry we offended you than a sorry for acting like see you next tuesdays. Not good enough!
Really short-sighted of them.

It takes nothing to to ask the players to just stand there and STFU for 2 minutes.

But no. They had to be the special ones. Looks good on them.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2017, 06:49 PM   #29
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

This isn't the first time the Saudis have been disrespectful in Australia. During the 2015 Asian Cup they refused to ride on buses driven by women.

The FFA should ban the Saudis from playing here.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:53 AM   #30
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

I love how their players on other league teams have gladly participated in moments of silence, and of course an entire Saudi team stood for a 1 min moment of silence after the passing of their king.

Wahabism is a cancer on this world, that kingdom, its rulers and their wealth being used to spread this awful ideology is sickening.

Whats even scarier is how the US is buddying up with the kingdom and blasting Iran, which sure has its faults but its people have far more liberal ideals than these stone age Saudis.

Also a must watch

Old 06-10-2017, 04:50 PM   #31
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

International soccer has had all sorts of problems similar to this. Israel is not allowed to play in their regional soccer league (Asian Football Confederation), and instead plays in UEFA.

Besides soccer, some of the same countries ban Jewish athletes from competing in their countries as well. Some countries won't even let their athletes compete against Jews in international tournaments, including the olympics.

As long as we allow these nations to behave in this disgusting manner, what we saw from Saudi athletes will continue. It gets worse as well, when even Swedish politicians tried to prevent a Jewish athlete from competing.

I posted in another thread that the amount of hate that exists in other countries is staggering, and I wonder how (when they move to another country) the racism that they were taught is supposed to go away?
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nage Waza For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2017, 03:51 AM   #32
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
I posted in another thread that the amount of hate that exists in other countries is staggering, and I wonder how (when they move to another country) the racism that they were taught is supposed to go away?
"Racism and religious intolerance are very common in Saudi Arabia" (for example) does not equate "every Saudi Arabian is racist and intolerant".

A lot of the people who move do it in part to get away from the Wahhabists and other religious nutcases. The ones who become terrorists are often 2nd generation or people who moved when they were children. In other words, people who grew up here, and thus have unrealistic ideas of what it's like to live under strict Sharia courts for example.

The Saudi team refusing to do a minute's silence is bizarre, as I'm pretty sure they've done those before.

...I started to say it's bizarre in a worrisome way, but I've always loathed the Saudi/wahhabist hypocrisy over terrorism. If they're going to be more openly scumbags, it makes it easier for other countries to react. So ultimately maybe it's a good thing.

Last edited by Itse; 06-11-2017 at 04:01 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 04:57 AM   #33
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
International soccer has had all sorts of problems similar to this. Israel is not allowed to play in their regional soccer league (Asian Football Confederation), and instead plays in UEFA.

Besides soccer, some of the same countries ban Jewish athletes from competing in their countries as well. Some countries won't even let their athletes compete against Jews in international tournaments, including the olympics.

As long as we allow these nations to behave in this disgusting manner, what we saw from Saudi athletes will continue. It gets worse as well, when even Swedish politicians tried to prevent a Jewish athlete from competing.

Well this may be off topic but 50 years ago, the Jewish Nation was victorious against nearly every Arab Nation that tried to "finish Hitler's job." and "drive the Jews into the sea." The Jews responded swiftly by destroying every Arab army within a week. The Israelis routed the Arabs, which had nearly 50 times the population, and in doing so, captured the Golan Heights, the West Bank, and the Old City.
ToewsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:37 AM   #34
Nage Waza

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
"Racism and religious intolerance are very common in Saudi Arabia" (for example) does not equate "every Saudi Arabian is racist and intolerant".

A lot of the people who move do it in part to get away from the Wahhabists and other religious nutcases. The ones who become terrorists are often 2nd generation or people who moved when they were children. In other words, people who grew up here, and thus have unrealistic ideas of what it's like to live under strict Sharia courts for example.
Saudi Arabia has state instituted racism. It is distributed by the government, schools and media. How can someone grow up in that environment avoid this? This type of government leads to soccer players acting like what we all saw.

Some research demonstrated 74% of Saudi Arabia are anti semitic. Are you suggesting only the 26% only emigrate? Do you have research backing that up?

Is there a process a host country completes to ensure negative sentiment is discussed? I absolutely do not think everyone is bad - but this is certainly something worth discussing and trying to resolve. Especially with what is happening in the UK and the negative sentiment surrounding Muslim immigration.

Quote:
The Saudi team refusing to do a minute's silence is bizarre, as I'm pretty sure they've done those before.
It is not bizarre at all, let's not pretend this was not completely expected. I think the two options are that the players really are that disgusting, or they were placating their government/people. What do you suggest took place, besides 'bizarre'?

Quote:
...I started to say it's bizarre in a worrisome way, but I've always loathed the Saudi/wahhabist hypocrisy over terrorism. If they're going to be more openly scumbags, it makes it easier for other countries to react. So ultimately maybe it's a good thing.
This is not just a Saudi thing, as you already know. These issues have gone on, repeatedly, for a long time, by many countries. The fact it is now pointed at other groups (besides Jews) helped many people see it from their own perspective.

The moment everyone universally condemns this behavior, discusses it openly without the use of words like 'bizarre' and call it what it truly is (hatred, racism, etc) we can finally get cracking on how to resolve these problems.

This is not a Jewish thing, it is a global thing that affects all sorts of different people. Shame on all of us to let it persist for so long. And shame on all of us for constantly trying to justify this type of behavior versus simply calling it what it is.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:42 AM   #35
Nage Waza

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToewsFan View Post
Well this may be off topic but 50 years ago, the Jewish Nation was victorious against nearly every Arab Nation that tried to "finish Hitler's job." and "drive the Jews into the sea." The Jews responded swiftly by destroying every Arab army within a week. The Israelis routed the Arabs, which had nearly 50 times the population, and in doing so, captured the Golan Heights, the West Bank, and the Old City.
Pretty much each country in the middle east has been involved in multiple wars, with multiple nations - this is not an Israel thing. Add civil war for many as well.

Government instituted hate (Shia, Sunni, Jew, West, etc.) is in my opinion the major contributor to the problems we see. Add in Russia/Syria/Saudi and assorted other problems emerge.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:23 AM   #36
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Why? I thought Swedes were very tolerant.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:30 AM   #37
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Saudi Arabia has state instituted racism. It is distributed by the government, schools and media. How can someone grow up in that environment avoid this? This type of government leads to soccer players acting like what we all saw.

Some research demonstrated 74% of Saudi Arabia are anti semitic. Are you suggesting only the 26% only emigrate? Do you have research backing that up?
Too lazy to look for it, but yea there are actually studies on these. Especially the refugees often flee from religious persecution (surprise of surprises), so they tend to be the minorities in that sense. Immigrants are also polled on what they think of their new country and their reasons for moving.

I would think it's also kind of obvious that the discontents are more likely to move than the Wahhabists. The whole point of wahhabism is that you want to live in a country where wahhabism is not just the state religion but the law of the land. The more hardcore wahhabists also rarely move for employment (because they generally don't have great employable skills), they don't move to do research or something like that, and they don't move to get married in another country. Those are some of the prime reasons for moving to another country.

People who emigrate from a country are very, very far from a random sampling of the population.

Quote:
It is not bizarre at all, let's not pretend this was not completely expected. I think the two options are that the players really are that disgusting, or they were placating their government/people. What do you suggest took place, besides 'bizarre'?
I meant "bizarre" in the sense that I found it really surprising they where willing to be so open about it in that situation. I have no illusions about what kind of country Saudi Arabia is. (Well, at least I hope so.)

Quote:
The moment everyone universally condemns this behavior, discusses it openly without the use of words like 'bizarre' and call it what it truly is (hatred, racism, etc) we can finally get cracking on how to resolve these problems.
Maybe you should cool down a bit. Not every comment is about whether or not Saudi Arabia as a country is racist or whether or not Wahhabism, state supported and otherwise is terrible. Of course it is. I was making a comment about this open display of it, because I found that part the surprising part.

Saying that Saudi Arabia and Wahhabism suck is kind of pointing out the obvious. I mean, is there anyone here (left, right, liberal, conservative, other) who disagrees?
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote