Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2016, 01:21 PM   #61
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler!

Sorry. As my wife usually tells me...not much help.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:53 PM   #62
RockLicker
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I had bad wasp issues the last couple of years. Remembered Tempo from my farm kid days, and tried to track some down. Either it was easier to acquire in small towns, or its just tougher to get these days, but ended up ordering a bottle of tempo dust off US Amazon. Was sure it would get stopped at the border, but sure enough it showed up.

I had wasps tunneling into the mortar of a fireplace similar to your situation, but hadn't made it into the house. Shot a little of that in the entrance and watched wasps pour out, including the nasty queen. The wasps now make their homes in other people's yards.

If you're still thinking diy I'd suggest tempo, I bet if you call a pro that's what they will bring with them. Word of caution, the stuff is great wasp medicine, but also very bad juju for bees. Please PLEASE be considerate of that, and be careful with how you use it. Heck, let me know where you are in town, I'm unemployed, and if it's close I could stop by and fire some in the suspected entry.

All that said #### wasps, I think if they actually had an established path into my house I'd seriously consider hiring someone who knows what they're doing.
RockLicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:35 AM   #63
Byrns
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
It is time to call a professional. These buggers won't stop. 300plus killed and it is not slowing them down. Pretty sure they are in the fireplace area.

Anyone have any recommendations or individual they know?
I've used Peregrine Pest Control for some tricky nests outside before. They were good.
Byrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:29 PM   #64
RockLicker
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Sorry for the ridiculous bump but agroshong, you PM'd me about Tempo, tried to get back to you, but apparently your PM box is full.
RockLicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:27 PM   #65
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Most fun way to kill a wasp: https://www.amazon.com/WARRIOR-SUPRE.../dp/B008WTO8KY

I have one of these and always bring it camping, the nice thing is that its powerful enough to actually kill a wasp (the cheaper ones just give them a little jolt which pisses them off)
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:09 PM   #66
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, keep one at the dinner table when dining outside. ZZZZRRRT is so satisfying! I got mine at Canadian tire, and it is plenty strong to kill a wasp, and give your tounge a good bzzrt after a few beers and some dares.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2017, 08:16 PM   #67
Qwerty
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

These mother Fataing wasps are back. 2 just flew out. Time to light this house on fire.

Guess it's time to call someone.....
Qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:34 PM   #68
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
These mother Fataing wasps are back. 2 just flew out. Time to light this house on fire.

Guess it's time to call someone.....
I have an idea if you can get at the nest.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:37 PM   #69
Qwerty
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I am not even sure where nest is. Assume somehow they are in chimney area (electric fireplaces tho), not sure if there's real chimney behind the rocks..
Qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:12 PM   #70
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Most fun way to kill a wasp: https://www.amazon.com/WARRIOR-SUPRE.../dp/B008WTO8KY

I have one of these and always bring it camping, the nice thing is that its powerful enough to actually kill a wasp (the cheaper ones just give them a little jolt which pisses them off)
A friend of mine told me to never rest your junk on this when the power was on
Old 05-10-2017, 11:03 PM   #71
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
A friend of mine told me to never rest your junk on this when the power was on

I am not sure if I would be more horrified that they actually did that, or that they thought I might be somehow tempted to do that.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:50 AM   #72
Bownesian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It must be in the chimney or perhaps in your attic/soffits as you have a clear conduit from the outside to the inside of your house that should not be open. I can't imagine a wasp colony living on what they could scavenge from inside your house, so the hive is likely near the top so they have easy access to the outside.

If it were me, I would investigate your roof (with long sleeves and pants) during the day, when the wasps will be coming in and out so you'll know where they are. Then if you see an obvious nest/opening that they are using, come back when it's cool out and pump foaming poison into it, then remove the chimney cap and clean out the nest.

If you can see the wasps coming in and out, but no nest, it could be down in the chimney hole. In that case, I would try to remove whatever cover is there so you can check it out and poison if possible, and then look to patch the chimney hole from above with a screen that they can't get through so they don't return.
Bownesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:29 AM   #73
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I am not sure if I would be more horrified that they actually did that, or that they thought I might be somehow tempted to do that.

my friend enjoys drinking hard liquors directly out of the bottle - he has provided me with a long list of things that you should not do
Old 05-11-2017, 07:13 PM   #74
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I know these are Wasps but this seems appropriate;

Oh the Beemanity!

csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote