Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 09:39 AM   #2621
AlbertaOiler72
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Its time for Oiler fans to admit that their franchise is more shame worthy then respected and that their current window to compete will probably end next year due to their managements continued incompetence under Chia.

I mean frankly I wouldn't trust a guy who constantly overpays on contracts and hasn't seen a bad trade that he hasn't loved to over see the Oilers having to thin out their talent pool due to the upcoming 20 million dollar boost in payroll for probably 3 players between this year and next year.
management incompetence? Oilers are in a playoff spot for the first time in years, knocking on the door of a division lead, have one of the best goal differentials in the Western Conference and have improved by every statistical metric available (GF, GA, Shots for and against, corsi)
bur our GM is incompetent...

oh right, its only because of McDavid...(wrong...Oilers are 4-0-1 in their last 5 games when Connor goes pointless)

but this is the month they finally fade away, right guys? just like in November and December...
Old 01-03-2017, 09:41 AM   #2622
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaOiler72 View Post
management incompetence? Oilers are in a playoff spot for the first time in years, knocking on the door of a division lead, have one of the best goal differentials in the Western Conference and have improved by every statistical metric available (GF, GA, Shots for and against, corsi)
bur our GM is incompetent...

oh right, its only because of McDavid...(wrong...Oilers are 4-0-1 in their last 5 games when Connor goes pointless)

but this is the month they finally fade away, right guys? just like in November and December...
It's good to see the smugness and arrogance remains after a decade of futility.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2017, 09:45 AM   #2623
AlbertaOiler72
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
His point is simple (so no doubt hard for you to understand), the oilers are no good and a complete embarrassment to the NHL.
that was in the past...quit living in the past
The Following User Says Thank You to AlbertaOiler72 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2017, 09:57 AM   #2624
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
that was in the past...
Says who? As of right now, they've accomplished nothing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2017, 10:01 AM   #2625
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
That's rich coming from an oiler fan. How many times have you brought up past Stanley cups to validate your team?

We don't have to look any further than your name to see that you're living the past.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bandwagon In Flames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2017, 10:05 AM   #2626
dieHARDflameZ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Being told by an Oilers fan to quit living in the past. Now that's comedy gold.

And yes, the only reason for the Oilers success this year is Princess Connor and Talbot. Take either one of those guys out of the lineup (McDavid moreso than Talbot) and the Oilers are back to the basement of the NHL.

Last edited by dieHARDflameZ; 01-03-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:17 AM   #2627
AlbertaOiler72
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieHARDflameZ View Post
Being told by an Oilers fan to quit living in the past. Now that's comedy gold.

And yes, the only reason for the Oilers success this year is Princess Connor and Talbot. Take either one of those guys out of the lineup (McDavid moreso than Talbot) and the Oilers are back to the basement of the NHL.
that's the joke...

and take any team's 2 best players out of the line-up and they're going to struggle
Old 01-03-2017, 10:21 AM   #2628
dieHARDflameZ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
that's the joke...

and take any team's 2 best players out of the line-up and they're going to struggle
Good thing I said either one. I remember when the Flames were without Gaudreau for ten games and went 6-3-1.

I wonder how well your precious Oil would do without McDavid or Talbot for ten games this season.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dieHARDflameZ For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2017, 10:27 AM   #2629
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
and the Flames haven't won in Anaheim since 2004, a record 25 game losing streak and counting...whats your point?
This thread is not about the Flames. You Oiler fans keep forgetting. Start a thread if you'd like elsewhere.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:36 AM   #2630
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ah yes. How silly of me. I should have realized that an amazing 19-12-7 record so far this season would easily erase a league worst 298-398-41-49 record over the last 10 seasons of non-playoff oiler hockey which included an unprecedented 4 1st overalls in a 6 year span.

I guess after 10 years of that, having 19 wins and 19 losses in January must look like a dynasty in the making to a fan of the "no-goods".
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2017, 10:39 AM   #2631
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
that's the joke...

Seem to recall making the playoffs without Gio.

(FYI: Playoffs are those things that other hockey teams do while the Oilers golf.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan403 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2017, 11:20 AM   #2632
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm quite happy the Oilers are still in a playoff spot at the turn of the new year. It means the fall back to the suck is going to be much more painful.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:38 AM   #2633
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Other than the work stoppage year, when was the last time Edmonton played a meaningful game in January. Probably been close to 10 years. You can kind of understand why Oiler fans are out and about right now. Half shock, half uncharted territory for a great deal of them. A good part were still asking "Santa" for that brand new Xbox 360 or PS3. This is probably a surreal experience for them.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:53 AM   #2634
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
I'm quite happy the Oilers are still in a playoff spot at the turn of the new year. It means the fall back to the suck is going to be much more painful.
News headlines of the future

"Oilers miss the playoffs. Finish 20th overall, but hope for next year"

"Oilers open training camp amid optimism", "This year is our year baby" says Chia "First cup of the dynasty guaranteed"

"Oilers stumble out of the gate", "Unsustainable to expect a two person team to compete" says TSN panel.

"Chia trades Eberle, RNH and others for scraps to fit McDavid and Draisaitl and Nurse into salery structure"

"Oilers finished, no playoffs again this year". "Back to being poo says anonymous breakfeast cereal on rival board"

"Chia fired, Lowe bought back as GM" "Like a Vipa says Lowe, nobody knows winning like I do"

"McDavid hold out begins, won't be at training camp"

"McDavid holdout continues through home opener"

"T-Mac fired after 0-10 start, Mac-T makes triumphant return with indoor fireworks show, Oilers lose 8-0 to Flames"

"Streetheart biggest show of the year in Edmonton"

"McDavid traded "I'm outta here" says young superstar, Oilers receive draft picks and some prospects or another"

"See I told you that all the teams in their league would trade their rosters for ours, but ours was simply McDavid says Lowe"

"Like a Vipa Lowe says at the half way point of a disastrous season"

"Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome your Seattle Binderpilots, Oilers relocate". "Fans didn't appreciate what we did for them" says Katz.

"Oilers former home becomes wildlife preserve for endangered cows"

"Calgary Flames win the Stanley Cup, Johnny Hockey seen facing the city of Edmonton and flipping the bird"

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2017, 01:08 PM   #2635
AlbertaOiler72
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
yet another long-winded rant
your long rants are the best...always 100% wrong but funny at least
Old 01-03-2017, 02:30 PM   #2636
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, our favourite writer David Staples just blew a gasket in response to a Toronto blogger's piece that claims that Matthews is better than McDavid:

“I will stay silent no more!” Frost announces. “Auston Matthews is better than Connor McDavid.”

Why such a claim? Frost gives three reasons.

First, that Matthews is a bigger player and more able to cycle the puck and get to the net, and that’s a greater asset than McDavid’s speed. “(Matthews) is probably is going to score 500 goals from a 6-foot radius in front of the net.”

Two, Matthews is better defensively. Frost points to two over-time plays where McDavid blew it on goals against. “You’d be hard-pressed to show me evidence of Matthews being so lazy /soft/selfish.”

Three, Matthews is a big game player. “When the bright lights are shining and game is on the line, this is a guy who thrives.” Frost makes no mention of McDavid in big games, but concludes: “If I was a betting man, I’d put the farm on McDavid having more Art Ross trophies, but Matthews finishing with more Hart’s and Stanley Cups.”

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...dmonton-oilers
Old 01-03-2017, 02:36 PM   #2637
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

This is old school CP, I love it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jordan! For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2017, 02:45 PM   #2638
Iggy3x
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Man, our favourite writer David Staples just blew a gasket in response to a Toronto blogger's piece that claims that Matthews is better than McDavid:

“I will stay silent no more!” Frost announces. “Auston Matthews is better than Connor McDavid.”

Why such a claim? Frost gives three reasons.

First, that Matthews is a bigger player and more able to cycle the puck and get to the net, and that’s a greater asset than McDavid’s speed. “(Matthews) is probably is going to score 500 goals from a 6-foot radius in front of the net.”

Two, Matthews is better defensively. Frost points to two over-time plays where McDavid blew it on goals against. “You’d be hard-pressed to show me evidence of Matthews being so lazy /soft/selfish.”

Three, Matthews is a big game player. “When the bright lights are shining and game is on the line, this is a guy who thrives.” Frost makes no mention of McDavid in big games, but concludes: “If I was a betting man, I’d put the farm on McDavid having more Art Ross trophies, but Matthews finishing with more Hart’s and Stanley Cups.”

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...dmonton-oilers
Really? Do we really need to start yet another No Good thread and add Toronto to that list? McDavid vs. Mathews - too early to tell. What about Laine? Come on now, media is getting stupid these days.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:33 PM   #2639
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

I actually find enjoyment out of seeing a "did he just go there?" publication. The McDavid hype needs to be knocked down a few pegs as it was getting unbearable hearing how he drank from his water bottle, how he sneezed, and how he set his alarm all by himself for practice.

There is lots of talent in Canada these days, and Toronto was just the ticket to have such a talent to steal the thunder from grease town up north.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:37 PM   #2640
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Ah yes. How silly of me. I should have realized that an amazing 19-12-7 record so far this season would easily erase a league worst 298-398-41-49 record over the last 10 seasons of non-playoff oiler hockey which included an unprecedented 4 1st overalls in a 6 year span.

I guess after 10 years of that, having 19 wins and 19 losses in January must look like a dynasty in the making to a fan of the "no-goods".
Edmonton is currently 11th/30 teams in the league. No wonder they think so highly of this team. 11th out of 30 teams is literally the BEST team they have had since 1990.