Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2014, 11:08 PM   #1
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Calgary Transit Passanger Racist DBag

Tonight I stood up against racism.

So, tonight was a family members concert. I was running a few minutes late getting ready, and I hate being late. I'm downtown taking the train to the Jubilee when I here this guy shouting through my ear buds. I take one out and he's yelling at these young Asians telling them to go back to China and a whole bunch of things I won't repeat. I hate racists. I counted to ten to see if he was going to stop and he wasn't. So I said "ENOUGH OF THAT!" The train was pretty packed and I figured he'd just start mouthing off to me instead of the other people. Well, that's what happened. And then it escalated to the point that I pushed the emergency button for Calgary Transit because this dude is a real a-hole. He jumps up into my face and he starts threatening me and trying to get me to fight. Finally the train stops the guy grabs my headphones rips them out and then hits me straight in the jaw. What a dick. He jumps out of the train "That's for calling the cops!" so because I clicked the button the train is not moving and the train operator isn't answering or anyone else (for minutes now). I yelled at the people in the train "Thank you everyone for the help at fighting racism. Some dude said "I was about to beat the #### out of that guy" ... No, no he wasn't. Nobody else did anything. Anyway, 5 minutes later the train isn't moving some lady said, "You're a hero." I replied "no". I just did what was right (cliche, yes but it's true.) Now I have people telling me to charge this coward. I just need to get to the Jub! ... I expected he was going to swing but mostly, I'm just pissed he broke my only pair of earbuds...

So I'm happy that I did the right thing and even though it hurts to bite down I'd do it again.

Last edited by To Be Quite Honest; 12-04-2014 at 01:01 AM.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 80 Users Say Thank You to To Be Quite Honest For This Useful Post:
Acey, agulati, albertGQ, alexle, Ben_in_Canada, Biff, Bill Bumface, Bobblehead, burn_this_city, Calgary14, calgaryrocks, Coys1882, cracher, cupofjoe, Dan02, Daradon, Da_Chief, devo22, Dion, DOOM, DoubleF, DoubleK, DownInFlames, Erick Estrada, fatso, FFR, Finger Cookin, Flamesoholic, FLAMESRULE, Flamezzz, Flaming Choy, flamingchina, flylock shox, Francis's Hairpiece, GreenHardHat, HerbalTesla, Huntingwhale, I-Hate-Hulse, IgnitedSoul, jayswin, jeffman, JonDuke, justafan, ken0042, killer_carlson, kirant, lambeburger, maidestone, manwiches, Mass_nerder, Matty81, MolsonInBothHands, oilyfan, para transit fellow, Puppet Guy, Rathji, Regulator75, ricosuave, Robo, Robotic, scottish_flame, SHOGUN, sketchyt, Slacker, Sliver, snowshoe, Stealth22, stevinder, Stud_McCool, surferguy, t0rrent98, Teh_Bandwagoner, terminator, theJuice, Titan, Trailer Fire, troutman, undercoverbrother, White Out 403, woob
Old 12-03-2014, 11:19 PM   #2
Kswiss
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Good for you my friend. Great that you stood up to that fool. I had it once before.

Some guy started shouting some racial slurs on the train at me and I basically said in my Canadian born accent "sorry I don't understand bigotry" He basically just sat there stunned. Probably because if he tried to hit me, he knew he would be the one with the black eye.

/end racism rant
Kswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kswiss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2014, 11:25 PM   #3
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good for you for standing up for what you believe in, dude. That doesn't happen very often anymore. And it's a hard decision to make - do you get involved or not? Lots of these a-holes are packing something these days underneath their jackets. Glad you didn't get shanked or anything.

KSwiss - that was a great comeback. I lol'ed.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2014, 11:25 PM   #4
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Props to you good sir. I am a lesser man to you unfortunately.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2014, 11:32 PM   #5
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So no one helped you after you got punched in the jaw? After they witnessed you standing up to this ######? People are ****ing cowards.
SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SHOGUN For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2014, 11:37 PM   #6
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Good for you for standing up for what you believe in, dude. That doesn't happen very often anymore. And it's a hard decision to make - do you get involved or not? Lots of these a-holes are packing something these days underneath their jackets. Glad you didn't get shanked or anything.

KSwiss - that was a great comeback. I lol'ed.
That went through my head after... Am I brave or just super dumb?

I'd do it again so a bit of both.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:40 PM   #7
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOGUN View Post
So no one helped you after you got punched in the jaw? After they witnessed you standing up to this ######? People are ****ing cowards.
I felt that way at first and I was pissed, but like Muta said, you don't know what these guys are carrying...

I just don't know how hard it would be to find this guy. I care more about getting a violent racist off the streets than my phat lip.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:45 PM   #8
1stLand
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Who was this guy anyways? Red Neck or Trailer Trash?

How old was he?

Last edited by 1stLand; 12-03-2014 at 11:46 PM. Reason: replaced word
1stLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:48 PM   #9
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLand View Post
Who was this guy anyways? Red Neck or Trailer Trash?

How old was he?
Mid 20's tattoo on his neck and about 5'8' - 5'9, short hair, Caucasian. Train running west to Tuscany at 7:35ish got off at the court stop I think.

Last edited by To Be Quite Honest; 12-03-2014 at 11:50 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:55 AM   #10
4oh3
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah that sucks that nobody helped you. Glad your okay. Some people can be really ####ty in this city.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:02 AM   #11
Ben_in_Canada
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Be Quite Honest View Post
Mid 20's tattoo on his neck and about 5'8' - 5'9, short hair, Caucasian. Train running west to Tuscany at 7:35ish got off at the court stop I think.
LOL, probably very familiar with that stop
Ben_in_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ben_in_Canada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2014, 05:37 AM   #12
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good for you, this world needs more of your actions.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:50 AM   #13
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOGUN View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusi...responsibility

I wouldn't call them cowards, but I would say TBQH was particularly brave. Groups of humans are weird and to go against the grain of the herd was pretty pimp of him. That was a very cool move, dude.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:55 AM   #14
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

did the asian kids say anything to you?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:59 AM   #15
Barbecue
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Good on you, but why didnt you hit him back?
Barbecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:59 AM   #16
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

The bystander effect is, sadly, the most common, most cursed, and sadly the most safe strategy when standing up to thugs.

If I'm by myself, I think twice about approach a guy like that (he might be packing, who knows), but if there is more than two people willing to do something about it (myself and someone else), I will definitely step in. It's the sad truth, but I don't want to risk something potentially extremely dangerous unless I really have to.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:59 AM   #17
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Good job...its sad that most people are too meek to get involved.

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:04 AM   #18
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good for you. That must have took a lot of courage. Your broken ear buds are a badge of honour.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:19 AM   #19
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good for you for standing up. People as individuals are smart. As a collective, we're all f'ing idiots and cowards. I'm not surprised no one else did anything about it, and that's a shame. A couple years ago during AM rush hour, a man had a seizure on our train and collapsed on the floor. Not a single damn person did a thing except for me. I pushed the emergency button, put him on his side so he wouldn't choke, and called 911. All while the 50 other people looking on did jack ####. It was that day that I lost faith in people. As the train pulled to the next station where EMS was waiting for us, some guy who was watching from the sidelines the entire time came up to me and thanked me for what I did. I straight up told him in a loud voice that everyone could hear that I'm ashamed of everyone on this train and what if it was a family member of mine this had happened to and no one did anything to help. As bad as the racist guy on your train was, the people who stood around and did nothing are no good either. Man I wish I was with you when that happened. I'm the type of guy who will say something when no one else will and the ending might have been different.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 12-04-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:33 AM   #20
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

A friend of mine earlier this week was mentioning something about a guy on the train on Monday or Tuesday just spewing all kinds of racist stuff against natives and blacks mostly. Gotta be the same guy I would think.

I also had a guy on the train earlier this week, like bright and early (6 am early), just singing and dancing on the train, and loudly singing too. I tuned it out with my music but everyone in my car was just turning their heads at this guy the whole ride. Not sure if he was crazy or just loves to sing and dance. That's life taking transit I suppose.