Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2017, 09:32 AM   #601
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Maybe the explanation for the snake needs to be reposted every page or so...
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:33 AM   #602
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Interesting that this season, we have had 6- and 7-game winning streaks and the purple snake still hasn't caught up with the green snake or black lines.

Just goes to show how terrible the start of the season (and that January stretch) was.

In some ways, the fact that we have to go on such winning streaks just to get back to normal justifies the fire-Gulutzan/trade-everyone demands back then.

Hopefully, we're peaking at the right time.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:45 AM   #603
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlord View Post
Interesting that this season, we have had 6- and 7-game winning streaks and the purple snake still hasn't caught up with the green snake or black lines.

Just goes to show how terrible the start of the season (and that January stretch) was.

In some ways, the fact that we have to go on such winning streaks just to get back to normal justifies the fire-Gulutzan/trade-everyone demands back then.

Hopefully, we're peaking at the right time.
Oh my god, NO!

If anything, the fact that the Flames have gone on such winning streaks to get back to normal justifies the patience shown by a number of posters on this board. It demonstrates with abundant clarity that the team was struggling in a state of transition in October and November, and that a ludicrously premature change behind the bench would have been utterly disastrous.

Glen Gulutzen is proving to be a good NHL coach, and it is time for everyone to stop qualifying this fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:52 AM   #604
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Oh my god, NO!

If anything, the fact that the Flames have gone on such winning streaks to get back to normal justifies the patience shown by a number of posters on this board. It demonstrates with abundant clarity that the team was struggling in a state of transition in October and November, and that a ludicrously premature change behind the bench would have been utterly disastrous.

Glen Gulutzen is proving to be a good NHL coach, and it is time for everyone to stop qualifying this fact.
But what if its just another streak?
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:00 AM   #605
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
To explain for the newcomers, and recap for returnees, the black line on the graph is the estimated number of points required to make the playoffs
Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Snake line should be lowered to 92 points

Quote:
I'm guessing your IQ follows the purple snake.
"When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do sir?"

Apparently, I’ve wondered onto the religious right of Calgarypuck. Snek = jesus. Worship away. I’ll show myself out
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2017, 11:00 AM   #606
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
But what if its just another streak?
Of course its another streak. How many NHL teams have won 7 in a row or more this season? 3 or 4 total?
The Flames overall record, including winning and losing streaks, since mid November is easily top 10 and nearly top 5 in the league. That's a large body of work to base things on.

Go snake
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:02 AM   #607
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Of course its another streak. How many NHL teams have won 7 in a row or more this season? 3 or 4 total?
The Flames overall record, including winning and losing streaks, since mid November is easily top 10 and nearly top 5 in the league. That's a large body of work to base things on.

Go snake
Fair enough. Since Mid Nov are they not in possession of the best record?
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:07 AM   #608
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
Fair enough. Since Mid Nov are they not in possession of the best record?
I don't think it's best, but is among the best.
And I get you can't just discount the horrible start, but it was a transition period, hurt by the absence of JG and SM, and I hope Gulutzan learned something about preparing the team better in pre season.
But that was a number the wise old Peter Maher always used to evaluate a team. Throw out the first 20 games, and then you see what kind of team you have after that.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2017, 11:41 AM   #609
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Apparently, I’ve wondered onto the religious right of Calgarypuck. Snek = jesus. Worship away. I’ll show myself out
No, but what you have done is not read post #1 of the thread. It's pretty explanatory on why 96 points is used as a benchmark and not a lower number.

Quote:
The number of points to make the playoffs may not be 96 this year, but no team in the history of the western conference has missed the playoffs with 96 points.
And there were many attempts to try and put sportsclub stats etc in the thread and squiggs96 had one simple request. Save his thread for the snake. There are plenty other threads going to talk about how 92 points will be good enough or to look at the OOT scoreboard, but this thread is Snake.

By trying to change the snake, you miss the entire point of the snake.

All glory to the snek.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2017, 11:44 AM   #610
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post

The facts haven't changed. 96 guarantees you a playoff spot. If you get 95 points or below, you need help from other teams. This isn't a snake that is trying to portray the 8 seed, or the Presudent's Trophy. It's simply saying that if you get to 96 points you don't have to worry about what any other team is doing. You'll be in the playoffs if you get 96. It doesn't mean you can't make it with 83 points. This isn't a standings, sportsclubstats, or magic number thread. It's really not that hard if a concept.

Quote:
96 points represents the total points needed to guarantee yourself a playoff spot. If you hit 96 points, it doesn't matter what anyone else is doing, as you'll be in. No Western Conference team has achieved 96 points and missed the playoffs. Multiple Western Conference teams have achieved 95 points and missed the playoffs. The Flames still can make the playoffs without getting 96 points, but they will need help from other teams. This may well be one of those years. That said, none of what other teams are doing are relative to the snake. As long as you focus on your own team, and achieving 96 points, you'll be okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2017, 11:49 AM   #611
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

But...wait. What if there is a lockout? Can you re-do the snake for a, say, 20 day lock out in January? That'd be great.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:53 AM   #612
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm just here for Troutman's sportsclubstats
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:57 AM   #613
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2017, 11:58 AM   #614
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is only one true path to the playoffs, and that is by riding the mighty snake to the promise land of the black line. All non believers and followers of false prophets with suffer.
The snake is long... Seven miles!
Ride the snake, he's old, and his skin is cold!
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2017, 12:06 PM   #615
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I'm just here for Troutman's sportsclubstats
Infidel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2017, 12:23 PM   #616
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

And Saint Squiggs raised the black snek on high saying "Oh, Lord, bless this thy black snek that with it thy Flames mayest blow by their enemies and moisten their cheeks, in thy mercy.' And the Lord did grin, and the Flames did feast upon the Oilers, and Ducks, and Kings, and Blues, and Sharks, and Predators...

And the Lord spake, saying 'First shalt thou create a graph. Then, shalt though assign the black snek 96 points, no more, no less. 96 shall be the number of the snek, and the number of the snek shall be 96. 97 shalt not be thy number, neither shall it be 95, 94, or 93 excepting that thou then proceedeth to 96. 92 is right out! Once the number 96, being the 96th number, be reached, then the Flames shall reacheth the holy land, and all who oppose them, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.

96 is the number of the black snek. It is written.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:34 PM   #617
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodFetish View Post
And Saint Squiggs raised the black snek on high saying "Oh, Lord, bless this thy black snek that with it thy Flames mayest blow by their enemies and moisten their cheeks, in thy mercy.' And the Lord did grin, and the Flames did feast upon the Oilers, and Ducks, and Kings, and Blues, and Sharks, and Predators...

And the Lord spake, saying 'First shalt thou create a graph. Then, shalt though assign the black snek 96 points, no more, no less. 96 shall be the number of the snek, and the number of the snek shall be 96. 97 shalt not be thy number, neither shall it be 95, 94, or 93 excepting that thou then proceedeth to 96. 92 is right out! Once the number 96, being the 96th number, be reached, then the Flames shall reacheth the holy land, and all who oppose them, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.

Brilliant.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:41 PM   #618
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodFetish View Post

Amen.
Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lanny'sDaMan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2017, 02:13 PM   #619
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Amen.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2017, 03:31 PM   #620
joejoe3