Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2014, 07:16 AM   #81
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
When you spoke with them and Frontpoint already, did they mention what other costs are associated outside of monthly monitoring? Do you have to pay for equipment/install or is that included with the contract?
Frontpoint:
$434.00 for equipment (if you have a good credit rating, you get a $300 discount on the equipment, so cost would be $134). This is for:
- 3 Year Monitoring Contract
Equipment includes:
- 2 Door/Window Sensors
- 1 Control Panel
- 2 40lb motion sensors
- 1 Radio
Monthly rate on this one was $42.99

Vivint:
$99.00 Activation (with that 50% off St. Patricks day thing, which I suspect they dress up everyday to make you feel lucky and think you're getting a good deal)
- 5 Year Contract
- $50.00/month
I'm really unsure what comes with this one, as the guy I spoke was really unclear and was talking about numerous different plans/add ons. This cost is for their basic 'Advanced Safety Package'.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #82
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'll put it out there if anyone is looking for a system and wishes to self monitor. Pm me.
Strictly dsc or vista systems. Wired or wireless. No crappy all-in-one systems either...

Also, If you want to self monitor via internet, can help you there too.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:41 PM   #83
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anybody else have experience with a DSC system?

My main motion sensor went off 3 times today. Can confirm it wasn't the dogs and there were not any intruders. I highly doubt that a spider walked across the sensor as well.

Alarm company is sending out a tech but it pisses me off that I have to pay for the service call. Looking for advice on how to get a replacement sensor(s) and fuming that the monitoring system received 6 incidents all in one morning.

Last edited by Bean; 10-06-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:14 PM   #84
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

I heard the weirdest thing on the radio a couple weeks ago... Joel Matlin talking about another company, again with a little song. Forgot about it until now, but just googled and I guess it's kind of old news.

His new company sounds pretty cool though.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2015...rotection.html
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:21 PM   #85
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

And that reminds me, I also heard Jonathan Carroll advertising a different travel company recently. So I wonder who will fill out the trifecta? Christine Magee?
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:07 PM   #86
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Put your gun cabinet in your bedroom...

We have a CO2 powered pellet gun in our bedroom. Bought it at Canadian Tire for like $130 (Crossman)

Looks very much like a real handgun, made of steel, the slide cocks back... Makes my wife feel better when I am working nights, and I dont have to worry about her accidently shooting herself.

How's that going to turn out when the burglar has a real gun and your wife points her CO2 gun at him and he thinks it's real? Sorry, but that's actually more dangerous to your family than it is safe.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:46 PM   #87
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
I heard the weirdest thing on the radio a couple weeks ago... Joel Matlin talking about another company, again with a little song. Forgot about it until now, but just googled and I guess it's kind of old news.

His new company sounds pretty cool though.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2015...rotection.html
I do like the sounds of the new company as well! Anyone used any of their stuff?
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:07 AM   #88
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

This thread has a lot of good information but is slightly out of date, anyone have any new information to add here? I had the Vivint guys in my neighbourhood this week and while I found their sales pitch to be super annoying, their product and price seems reasonable. It was 100 for the install then 60 bucks a month after that, can't remember the package but googling last night it seemed comparable to all the other major security guys.

Just curious what other people are paying a month.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:21 PM   #89
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
This thread has a lot of good information but is slightly out of date, anyone have any new information to add here? I had the Vivint guys in my neighbourhood this week and while I found their sales pitch to be super annoying, their product and price seems reasonable. It was 100 for the install then 60 bucks a month after that, can't remember the package but googling last night it seemed comparable to all the other major security guys.

We signed up with Vivint last month. We pay about what you mentioned per month though the fee changes depending on the equipment you have installed. We got the panel, keypad door lock, doorbell camera, indoor video camera, 7 door/window sensors, a smoke detector, and the CO2 detector.

So far, I've been satisfied with the system. The app is pretty solid and I like getting notifications when things are opened or if someone's at my door and I'm not home. I like the peace of mind you get from being able to check in on things when you're not home. A bit unsettling, though, to see all the people that ring your bell and then take a peak around the back of your house when no one answers. It also plays nice with our Nest so we can control that from the Vivint app too.

From what I read, the monthly fee can be on the high side and the length of the contract is also out there. However, the equipment is pretty solid and the technology not as flaky as some. Like I said, I've been satisfied and I think it's done the trick so far.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fredr123 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2016, 01:31 PM   #90
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had Vivint for awhile, I'm happy with it as well> I can tell solicitors to eff off from my desk at work if need be.

The doorbell cam records adorable things like Cub scouts talking to my cat through the window.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2016, 01:49 PM   #91
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Their sales pitch is the worst, and the people on the phone seem pretty cheesy too, but we ended up going with Vivint and have had zero problems with it. Does the $100 install include some of the sensors? You may be looking at more for the install if you want more sensors (door, window, glass break, etc.).
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2016, 01:54 PM   #92
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I think that 100 was for 4 door sensors, no window sensors as they are all crank outs, but three motion sensors, the flood and fire sensors, the control panel and the door bell cam. I think for 5 bucks extra they would do sensors on my big over head garage doors, but I figured just a motion sensor in there was good enough. I talked with Frontline, they were willing to match the price but didn't have the door bell cam.. that feature to me seems like the best piece. I also have a tenant, so anyone who is coming and going from her place would be caught on my doorbell cam. I could also catch her trying to move out and skip out on her rent perhaps :P
Old 05-31-2016, 02:30 PM   #93
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got a notification that someone rang the doorbell while we weren't home. It was a UPS driver. They actually rang the doorbell this time. Usually they just drop the package off and leave. The doorbell detects visitors something like 15 feet away from the doorbell so you can sometimes get video of them walking up without ringing.

Now, my wife's package is just sitting there. Another nice thing about the system is now I will get a video recording of someone stealing the parcel off my porch.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fredr123 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2016, 02:34 PM   #94
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
I talked with Frontline, they were willing to match the price but didn't have the door bell cam.. that feature to me seems like the best piece. I also have a tenant, so anyone who is coming and going from her place would be caught on my doorbell cam.
Have you notified her that there's a camera? That is pretty creepy tbh. And I'm speculating here but could be an infringement on her privacy as your tenant.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:29 PM   #95
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I pay about $35 per month for the basic ADT alarm system with indoor motion sensors. I have separate smoke and Co2 sensors.

Curious about outdoor surveillance though. I'd prefer a DIY package. Anyone have experience with the utility of this Panasonic system which is available here in town at the Camera Store for about $380? The cameras are connected to power but transmit wireless to a hub which records the video

http://www.thecamerastore.com/9090-P...ce-System.aspx
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Corral For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2016, 09:15 AM   #96
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Have you notified her that there's a camera? That is pretty creepy tbh. And I'm speculating here but could be an infringement on her privacy as your tenant.
It is an exterior camera of the property not inside her suite. Her suite starts at the doorway, everything else is mine and my responsibility to do with as I will, that is what the city told me when I was getting it up to code.

But just to be safe, we have that in our tenant agreement. Notification that the premises may be monitored by video surveillance. My lawyer buddy drew it up for me and thought of everything.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:17 PM   #97
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vivint just stopped by my place. They were asking for $70/month for Outdoor camera, camera doorbell, remote lock, monitoring on 4 doors/windows and smoke/CO2.

Wanted $160 up front for install on a 60 month term.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:18 PM   #98
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Vivint just stopped by my place. They were asking for $70/month for Outdoor camera, camera doorbell, remote lock, monitoring on 4 doors/windows and smoke/CO2.

Wanted $160 up front for install on a 60 month term.
5 year contract at $70/month. Hahahahaha That's ridiculous.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:29 AM   #99
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Vivint system interests me largely due to the doorbell camera, but it sounds like talking to their sales guys is not unlike talking to Soundsaround salesmen... I'm hoping someone here can answer some newbie questions and have some real answers.

- If you don't have the electronic locks (they don't interest me), will the system still be able to tell you who accessed your house (by what alarm code they enter into the system to disarm it?) I'd like to be able to see if my son has returned home (by entering his code into the system) via the app.

- what's better, motion sensors or door sensors? I have 2 fat cats.

- What was the install process like? Is a lot of this wireless, or did they have to pull wires everywhere?

- If you have a detached garage, assuming you have a motion sensor in there, how do you disarm it? Put a panel in there too?

- Does vivint support GSM as the primary means of communication? (no landline)

- I'm under the impression that Vivint will move on term of contract ( 5 yrs to 3) and may toss in a free sensor, but the high per monthly fee is tough to negotiate on. Fair assessment?
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:44 AM   #100
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm thinking about going full diy. Maybe Smartthings with various sensors (door, motion etc). Scout will monitor here in Canada for around $15.00/mo I believe. It's all wireless and can be connected to smart appliances (Nest thermostat, wireless cameras, my Samsung range, etc)
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote