Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2009, 09:41 PM   #21
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfraggle View Post
Heh...no. False advertising for the alarm company. If they have signs up saying you have their system, other people are going to see those signs and think they should get one. Not sure who's going to make a stink about it, but an alarm company won't let you have the stickers without the system.
Then print your own.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:47 PM   #22
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Then print your own.
fraud? Anyways...doesn't really matter to me. Just passing through to say what I heard. Don't want to get drawn into an argument about something I honestly don't know much about.
Superfraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:50 PM   #23
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
We live in an area adjacent to a park with a large homeless population. There has also been a disturbing break in recently two doors down, where the home was ransacked, vandalized and lots of stuff stolen including the two dogs and the cat. Plus while we like our new neighbours, we're not as familiar with them as we were with our previous neighbours (Fozzie Debear).

We've made the decision to get a home security system and are wondering what people's experiences are.

Price, quality, what to get, glass breakage vs glass sliding. etc...
I'm an installer for ADT. First, whatever company you go with make sure you get a rep to come out and go over your home. If you just do a phone sale then you'll most likely be recommended whatever system they are pushing.

If you go ADT. Get the Pro 3k. If your home is prewired then go with that. If its an older house with a developed basement, go wireless. (IMO wireless systems are much harder to bypass).

If you have a dog, 35lbs or greater, then Glass breaks and window contacts are the way to go. If you don't, then get motions. Also, since becoming an installer, life safety is the main thing i look for - so think about getting your Smoke and CO2 detectors put in.

Oh and one advantage of getting a wireless system, is keyfobs. Being able to turn your system on/off before or after you leave your doorway. And another is that you can always add other devices anywhere in the house without having the house wired up.

Feel free to pm me for any more questions and/or i can you hook you up with a rep (and maybe swing a deal for ya)
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:46 PM   #24
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think monitored alarms are a borderline scam.

As fotze said they don't actually do anything other than call. Whether you answer, call back, die a long painful death..they could care less.

The sound and stickers may be worth something....

All that said it helps my wife sleep at night, so I still pay the damn bill.

To answer the original post: AAA alarms is who we use. Other than I think they do nothing for me they've been fine.

Last edited by Bend it like Bourgeois; 01-23-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:51 PM   #25
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post

My buddy and I were recently discussing how we could rig up a digital camera to point at your doors or windows and just start taking photos when your alarm goes off, then have the photos automatically emailed to you. Not terribly related, but I thought it would be a cool idea.
there is a pc program that works with a webcam that does that. works well.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:08 PM   #26
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Lol. I used to live with a buddy (he owned the house, I rented the basement suite), and I knew his 'code' and was one of the contacts if and when the alarm was triggered. It never actually went off while I lived there, but about 4 months after I moved out, something tripped the alarm and they called me. The conversation went something like this:

Alarm Company: Hi there, is this 4x4?

me: yep, who's this?

AC: the alarm company. Something has tripped the alarm at your house. Is everything ok?

me: I don't have an alarm

AC: are you sure? Do you not live at 123 easy street?

me: nope, moved out 4 moths ago...

AC: oh. Ummm. Do you know the password?

me: yep

AC: ok, well care to say it?

me: what's the difference? I moved out 4 months ago. Why don't you call my buddy, the owner of that house, and let him know that there's a problem?

AC: well, we tried him first but there was no answer. We really just need to hear the password from somebody or else we have to call the police.

me: well, maybe you should call the police. Because I don't live there and he's paying for your service, so maybe you ought to act on this. He's from Dirty Stinking Mulletville and he goes there often to visit his parents. If he's not answering, he may be out of town, hence the alarm service he pays for. Send over one of your cars, or call the cops, or do whatever it is you do.

AC: 4x4, do you know the password?

me: yes, I know the password. I knew the password. Maybe he changed it. Wanna know what it was while I lived there? It was 'Hollywood'. Does that help? Does that change anything? I don't live there.

AC: thank you, 4x4.

So guess what? Later that day, my buddy calls me and asks why in the blue hell I would tell them that things were ok when I didn't even live there... He was genuinely pissed off at me.
After I explained the conversation with numbnuts on the phone, things were ok... For me... He was still livid and went and tore a strip off of some poor rep at the alarm company.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:09 PM   #27
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
I'm an installer for ADT. First, whatever company you go with make sure you get a rep to come out and go over your home. If you just do a phone sale then you'll most likely be recommended whatever system they are pushing.

If you go ADT. Get the Pro 3k. If your home is prewired then go with that. If its an older house with a developed basement, go wireless. (IMO wireless systems are much harder to bypass).

If you have a dog, 35lbs or greater, then Glass breaks and window contacts are the way to go. If you don't, then get motions. Also, since becoming an installer, life safety is the main thing i look for - so think about getting your Smoke and CO2 detectors put in.

Oh and one advantage of getting a wireless system, is keyfobs. Being able to turn your system on/off before or after you leave your doorway. And another is that you can always add other devices anywhere in the house without having the house wired up.

Feel free to pm me for any more questions and/or i can you hook you up with a rep (and maybe swing a deal for ya)
We have one and like it. Would have more but not at $150 per.

Also, we have ADT, is there any way to turn down the sound of the alarm when we set it? It is 45 seconds of horror while the kids are sleeping.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:36 PM   #28
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
We have one and like it. Would have more but not at $150 per.

Also, we have ADT, is there any way to turn down the sound of the alarm when we set it? It is 45 seconds of horror while the kids are sleeping.
150 per what? each device has a different cost.

If you have a pro 3k, then just arm it in stay, it's a silent countdown. Actually if you arm any of our stuff in Stay, it's silent. Just remember that if you arm in stay, it arms everything but the motions. Allows you to arm so you can wander throughout the house.

Last edited by csnarpy; 01-23-2009 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:11 AM   #29
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

My late father was always a bit tight with his money. One of the uncles suggested he get a security system for his house. My father goes out and puts and ADT sign on his front lawn and a few stickers on his window but never gets the security system itself. He figured a sign and few window stickers would do the trick. Peod my uncle to know end that he was too cheap to pay for a system.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:24 PM   #30
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

we just had the ADT guy come in - very friendly guy.

He said that there are two different motion detectors - one for 40 pounds, and one for 100 pounds. Is there a reason we shouldn't do the 100 pound one?

(our two small dogs are usually attached at the hip so together they are over 40 pounds).
Old 01-24-2009, 01:42 PM   #31
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

was that with ADT Fotze?

If so, what package did you get?

From what I've seen up here, the free packages have an activation or administration fee that is almost equal to the installation fee for ADT.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:53 PM   #32
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
we just had the ADT guy come in - very friendly guy.

He said that there are two different motion detectors - one for 40 pounds, and one for 100 pounds. Is there a reason we shouldn't do the 100 pound one?

(our two small dogs are usually attached at the hip so together they are over 40 pounds).
Everything is based on the distribution of the beams the motion detector projects. The larger the weight the more the beams are spread apart.

I personally have never installed a 100lb PIR but i believe this is because most clients just tend to get window/door contacts and glass breaks (when they have a large animal). If your home has a lot of corners or walls glass breaks are more effective but obviously if your home is an "open" concept then motions are the way to go. I'd recommend getting the Motion installed, if your inclined to go that way, and then make sure you take the test period and that way you can find out if the dogs set it off or not. If they do then just change it out for glass breaks.

Also, is the ADT rep a dealer(from a security store supplying ADT product) or is he from the ADT "home office" here in Calgary? If from a dealer, make sure you get a proper system - stay away from the Simon and Lynx (also called Quick Connect) systems. Get the Pro 3000. They are user friendly, expandable and not an eyesore.

Last edited by csnarpy; 01-25-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:02 PM   #33
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
IT was Chubb, ADT did give us a quote but it was more than I wanted to pay.
Sooooo, you got a Chubb?
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:38 PM   #34
TheContact
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The marketing writes itself!

Chubb home security - Thieves stay away when you're sporting Chubb!
TheContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:47 PM   #35
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Everything is based on the distribution of the beams the motion detector projects. The larger the weight the more the beams are spread apart.

I personally have never installed a 100lb PIR but i believe this is because most clients just tend to get window/door contacts and glass breaks (when they have a large animal). If your home has a lot of corners or walls glass breaks are more effective but obviously if your home is an "open" concept then motions are the way to go. I'd recommend getting the Motion installed, if your inclined to go that way, and then make sure you take the test period and that way you can find out if the dogs set it off or not. If they do then just change it out for glass breaks.

Also, is the ADT rep a dealer(from a security store supplying ADT product) or is he from the ADT "home office" here in Calgary? If from a dealer, make sure you get a proper system - stay away from the Simon and Lynx (also called Quick Connect) systems. Get the Pro 3000. They are user friendly, expandable and not an eyesore.

we were going to go with the quick connect package because of the sale right now (we're in Edmonton). The Pro 3000 was going to cost us several hundred dollars more and I'm not sure I see (or perhaps understand) the upside.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:52 AM   #36
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
we were going to go with the quick connect package because of the sale right now (we're in Edmonton). The Pro 3000 was going to cost us several hundred dollars more and I'm not sure I see (or perhaps understand) the upside.
First, choice depends on the layout of your home.

If you have 2 or 3 levels then the P3K (Pro 3000) allows you to have multiple keypads (entry door, master bedroom, etc...). It also allows you to have a hidden siren and the panel (guts of the system) is located separately from the keypad.

With the Lynx you get an "All in one" system. The keypad, guts and siren are all located within the one device. This will most likely be place at your point of entry. You cannot have more than one keypad. It a big bulky device and every installer basically feels that it is "cheap".

I guess what it comes down to is what your more comfortable with. I'm just an installer but as one, I know what we all have put in our homes.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:02 PM   #37
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
150 per what? each device has a different cost.

If you have a pro 3k, then just arm it in stay, it's a silent countdown. Actually if you arm any of our stuff in Stay, it's silent. Just remember that if you arm in stay, it arms everything but the motions. Allows you to arm so you can wander throughout the house.
$150 per key fob. Could be off slightly but was in this range.

Also, we want to set it as away while we are asleep. That way if a window entry happens the motions will detect it. How do I tell if I have the 3k?
Old 01-26-2009, 03:43 PM   #38
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
$150 per key fob. Could be off slightly but was in this range.

Also, we want to set it as away while we are asleep. That way if a window entry happens the motions will detect it. How do I tell if I have the 3k?
If your with ADT, keyfobs go for $75. There is another way for a silent countdown and keeping the motion going, it's called Night Stay. A tech can program a function button to arm in Stay but keep the motion on thus keeping a silent countdown.

Most pro3k keypads are 4x6 in size. and look somewhat like this:

If you have a quick connect then it basically looks like this:

give me a pm, i'll help you set up your night stay.

Last edited by csnarpy; 01-26-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:50 AM   #39
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
If your with ADT, keyfobs go for $75. There is another way for a silent countdown and keeping the motion going, it's called Night Stay. A tech can program a function button to arm in Stay but keep the motion on thus keeping a silent countdown.

Most pro3k keypads are 4x6 in size. and look somewhat like this:

If you have a quick connect then it basically looks like this:

give me a pm, i'll help you set up your night stay.
Neither looks familiar. I will check at home and let you know exactly what I have, or send a pic. Thanks a ton. I will PM. Another question, can an ebay keyfob be programmed to work? I will put that inthe pm as well thanks.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:10 AM   #40
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Why take it to PM? WHy not discuss it in this thread so we all can learn?
stang is online now   Reply With Quote