Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2009, 07:38 AM   #1
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Home Security System.

We live in an area adjacent to a park with a large homeless population. There has also been a disturbing break in recently two doors down, where the home was ransacked, vandalized and lots of stuff stolen including the two dogs and the cat. Plus while we like our new neighbours, we're not as familiar with them as we were with our previous neighbours (Fozzie Debear).

We've made the decision to get a home security system and are wondering what people's experiences are.

Price, quality, what to get, glass breakage vs glass sliding. etc...
Old 01-23-2009, 07:52 AM   #2
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Get motion triggered, turret mounted machine guns on your house.

Problem solved.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:02 AM   #3
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Get a Rottweiler

Works for me... keeps intruders, coyotes, and other strage wildlife out of our yard.

loves our cats and my daughter

Last edited by stang; 01-23-2009 at 09:05 AM.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2009, 09:08 AM   #4
Frank the Tank
First Line Centre

Exp:

My neighbour works for a small security firm that does amazing work. Unfortunately, thats here in London. They are not the cheapest place in town, nor are they the most expensive, but he does go by the motto "you get what you pay for" as far as the quality of the actual install and the basic components of the alarm system. He says all the problems or lack of problems will stem from the actual installation. Not sure if that helps or not.

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."
Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:22 AM   #5
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I don't doubt that there's a good security company out there with a good system. I'd totally recommend getting one. That said, alarms are only after the fact - I highly recommend adopting some physical and landscaping measures along with an alarm system. These measures prevent them from even trying to break into your house which is really what you're after. Alarms just mean they'll have 2 minutes vs 60.

Locks, bars, and strengthening of doors is the obvious one and some of those are desired. They're also not the most pretty things, so do some research into landscape security. Essentially things like lighting, sightlines, and prickly plants can be used to deter attempts.

A quick google found this article - it's old, but the concepts are still sound. I'm sure there's more out there.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...181/ai_6730246
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Dial 1-800-267-2001 ALAAAARMMM FORCE!

Have to say probably my least favorite jingle of all time, but I'll be damned if I ever forget that number. Bloody Calgary radio and it's 4 commercials.

Can't say I've ever used one except for my parents place. They have a sump pump in their basement and the alarm is rigged to go off if water is detected on the basement floor, so they don't really use it for protection from thievery. Anytime it has gone off the response has been pretty quick though.

If I were in your shoes I'd probably get one purely for the peace of mind. It may not stop somebody from doing a smash and grab if their jonesin' for crack, but it would probably keep them from hanging around.

My buddy and I were recently discussing how we could rig up a digital camera to point at your doors or windows and just start taking photos when your alarm goes off, then have the photos automatically emailed to you. Not terribly related, but I thought it would be a cool idea.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:58 AM   #7
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ May I add that Alarmforce is also listed on the TSX?
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pepper24 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2009, 10:16 AM   #8
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

This is the alarm force central station!
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:57 AM   #9
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:48 AM   #10
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Get a Rottweiler

Works for me... keeps intruders, coyotes, and other strage wildlife out of our yard.

loves our cats and my daughter

Best dog ever. Very intimidating to strangers, but mostly all bark and no bite. And insanely loyal and protective of her owners. Awesome house pet because they're not really into 'playing'. They don't barrel-ass around the house trying to play fetch and whatnot. They're very calm and just generally pleased to be in the same room as you. Of course, if they hear a noise outside, they're at the window barking like crazy until you tell her that's enough, or until the suspicious person is out of sight. Then they still stand there and growl until they're sufficiently sure that the danger is gone.

Unbelievably gentle with their owners and kids. Of course, if you're a f***ing moron and you beat it and teach it to be aggressive, you probably don't want it around kids or anybody really (junkyard dog).

But a good rotti from a good bloodline without history of aggression is, by far, the best alarm system you can have. A bit more expensive monthly, but with the walking they love and require, you can cancel the gym membership.

(sorry, I know that's totally not what you asked for, but I love rottis and will yap about them at will)
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:56 AM   #11
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

beautiful dogs, 4X4. My sister had two of them. They love their families something fierce.

My parents have had an alarm for about 15 years. They go with ADT. I am one of their contacts and I've been woken up in the middle of the night a couple of times to false alarms. I agree with fotze in that the signs and stickers are the most important things.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:23 PM   #12
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
beautiful dogs, 4X4. My sister had two of them. They love their families something fierce.

My parents have had an alarm for about 15 years. They go with ADT. I am one of their contacts and I've been woken up in the middle of the night a couple of times to false alarms. I agree with fotze in that the signs and stickers are the most important things.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:24 PM   #13
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

1-Move
2-Get another dog, I'm sure your two dogs wouldn't mind a bigger brother/sister
3-Move
4-Call your home insurance company, maybe they have some recommendations on what is/isn't effective. Maybe the police too.
5-Move
6-I think Hulse had a good point. Think about what can make your house less appealing then your neighbors...maybe a picture of Snotboy on the door saying "Welcome to my home"?

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:04 PM   #14
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

FWIW we have ADT

Not sure it is great or not but it does give peace of mind. The reason I have it is I want to know if someone is coming in. The idea of waking up with someone in my room/house is not cool.

This way I hear it go off if it happens and the bad guy knows I probably know and am loading the shotgun.

On a related note I want my alarm to not sound a buzzer or whatever but play a tape that says, where is that shotgun? Oh there it is, and then make the sound of it being cocked. That would probably take care of it.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:46 PM   #15
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Target hardening is the key.

Criminals will always go for the easy target first.

- Alarm stickers, even if there is no actual alarm.
- Dog that barks
- Doors and windows locked.
- Bars on easily accessible windows

Anything that will make the criminal think that your neighbours house might be the better target.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:00 PM   #16
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem we have is that our neighbourhood is surrounded by a ravine on one side and the river valley on the other. At most a thug is one house away from the ravine or river valley.

With the increase of homeless people in the River Valley and the nature of the surrounding communities to us, every house in our neighbourhood is a target.

We have dogs (albeit small ones) and bars on most of the windows. We have a really nasty thorny SOB bush outside our deck that is one (we're told) strategically planted to discourage prowlers.

Still, I'm not 100% comfortable here. Maybe if I had my gun cabinet in my bedroom it would be different...
Old 01-23-2009, 08:58 PM   #17
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
The problem we have is that our neighbourhood is surrounded by a ravine on one side and the river valley on the other. At most a thug is one house away from the ravine or river valley.

With the increase of homeless people in the River Valley and the nature of the surrounding communities to us, every house in our neighbourhood is a target.

We have dogs (albeit small ones) and bars on most of the windows. We have a really nasty thorny SOB bush outside our deck that is one (we're told) strategically planted to discourage prowlers.

Still, I'm not 100% comfortable here. Maybe if I had my gun cabinet in my bedroom it would be different...
Put your gun cabinet in your bedroom...

We have a CO2 powered pellet gun in our bedroom. Bought it at Canadian Tire for like $130 (Crossman)

Looks very much like a real handgun, made of steel, the slide cocks back... Makes my wife feel better when I am working nights, and I dont have to worry about her accidently shooting herself.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:14 PM   #18
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
- Alarm stickers, even if there is no actual alarm.
That's actually not legal, I've been told. Something to do with false advertising maybe?
Superfraggle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:17 PM   #19
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfraggle View Post
That's actually not legal, I've been told. Something to do with false advertising maybe?
Criminal is gonna lay charges?
Old 01-23-2009, 09:22 PM   #20
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Criminal is gonna lay charges?
Heh...no. False advertising for the alarm company. If they have signs up saying you have their system, other people are going to see those signs and think they should get one. Not sure who's going to make a stink about it, but an alarm company won't let you have the stickers without the system.
Superfraggle is online now   Reply With Quote