Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-02-2015, 08:33 AM   #1
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Federal Election Called for Oct 19, 2015

I know there is a "federal 2015 politics" thread, but I figured something targeted specifically for the campaign & election was warranted. (If not feel free to delete/lock this).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cana...aign-1.3175136

Quote:
Stephen Harper has begun the mid-summer marathon that will be longest federal election campaign in recent history.

Harper emerged from Rideau Hall shortly after 10:18 a.m. ET, confirming he had asked Gov. Gen. David Johnston to dissolve Parliament for a general election to be held Monday, Oct. 19.
The Following User Says Thank You to RedHot25 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2015, 08:38 AM   #2
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I will be so sick of election adds in 2 weeks let alone 10.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2015, 08:50 AM   #3
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great long game by Harper. First, take away the public funding for political parties since old men who can't stand that the world is a-changin' love you and will bankroll you. Next, make the longest election call in Canadian history in hopes of depleting the other parties' campaign funds through attrition.

I have a feeling that we'll be seeing the maximum of non-party campaign ads this run.

Last edited by Reaper; 08-02-2015 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Got Educated
Old 08-02-2015, 08:50 AM   #4
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great 10 weeks of drum banging......let's spend more money we don't and let's make more promises we can't afford.......
Old 08-02-2015, 08:57 AM   #5
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the CPC's obvious goals since Harper has become leader has been to increasingly Americanize politics in this country. Longer elections and more outside money is a big part of that and sadly for the next 10 weeks we can look forward to being beaten over the head with official and unofficial CPC ads.

And for those who were wondering when Mulcair would be featured in the worst set of Canadian ads ever, the answer is now. For fans of wooden, laconic acting though these are the Godfather of political ads. This one with the extreme irony alert: Career politician Stephen Harper says we can't afford a career politician as PM.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:09 AM   #6
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow. I was expecting something bad but thats gold.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:14 AM   #7
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's just not ready!

I'll be voting Liberal for that commercial alone.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2015, 09:24 AM   #8
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Are the Federal PCs driving towards a cliff as badly as the Alberta PCs? Possible.

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
The Following User Says Thank You to Fozzie_DeBear For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2015, 09:32 AM   #9
pgsieve
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

My election vote is pretty basic. As soon as I see an attack ad you've lost my vote. I have a strange feeling I will be spoiling a vote this yeae
Old 08-02-2015, 09:54 AM   #10
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie_DeBear View Post
Are the Federal PCs driving towards a cliff as badly as the Alberta PCs? Possible.
Agreed. I don't see the Federal Conservatives winning this election, or at the very least, they'll be back to a minority government.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:57 AM   #11
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great, election signs. My least favourite part of campaigns are the stupid ugly signs. During a previous campaign I watched some old codger pulling up election signs and chucking them into trees. I thought that was hilarious.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:02 AM   #12
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is the first Federal Election that I will experience without being exposed to television ads. It should be nice for a change.
V
Old 08-02-2015, 10:25 AM   #13
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not crazy about the extra cost but all of the parties have been campaigning for a month anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Great long game by Harper. First, take away the public funding for political parties since corporations love you and will bankroll you. Next, make the longest election call in Canadian history in hopes of depleting the other parties' campaign funds through attrition.

I have a feeling that we'll be seeing lots of non-party campaign ads this run.
Hate to break your narrative that big business funds the Conservatives but that's not the case. Corporations and Unions can't fund parties anymore and the personal limit is restricted to $1,100 or $1,200, can't remember which. When corporate funding was abolished it had by far the biggest effect on the Liberals and union funding had the most effect on the NDP. The majority of the Conservative donations came/come from small personal donations.

Also, during a writ period 3rd party ads are restricted, can't remember the exact dollar amounts, think it's $400,000 or something like that.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2015, 10:27 AM   #14
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Agreed. I don't see the Federal Conservatives winning this election, or at the very least, they'll be back to a minority government.
Then who do you see winning it?
There is no real credible choice. Note that I didn't say alternative.
Were it multiple choice, I and probably many / most Canadians would choose d.
None of the above
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2015, 10:36 AM   #15
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Then who do you see winning it?
There is no real credible choice. Note that I didn't say alternative.
Were it multiple choice, I and probably many / most Canadians would choose d.
None of the above
This. I'm sick of the conservatives and the icreasingly america jr approach to things, but the other optons are no better. Hoping for a conservitive minority, I guess, but there's no outcome I'll be happy about.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:51 AM   #16
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

None of the choices are exactly Cherry.

I think Trudeau has lost the election, and the pummeling from Mulcair and Harper who both would relish destroying Trudeau is about to begin, and I don't think that Justin will be able to handle it as he's not good at thinking on the fly. I think he's going to get embarrassed in the debate and now that the press that used to love him has turned on him that the Liberals are going to lose seats to the NDP, and Liberal voters who don't want Mulcair in the Prime Ministers seat. I believe that if that happens that the Liberal old guard will push Trudeau out of politics.

I can't vote for the NDP because I just don't believe in their platform and while Mulcair is a good man, I don't believe in his personal standings. I think he'd be a disaster for this province if elected.

This is it for Harper, this is the last election, since I vote in every election, I'll probably vote for him, he still aligns closest in terms of policy to me.

I tend to think that the Conservatives will probably lose some seats that they have now, but gain seats in some ridings that might be traditionally Liberal that strategically vote for the Conservatives to block the NDP.

I think that we'll see a narrow Conservative majority, as late in the election, the Cons will play up a possible NDP Liberal coalition under Mulcair.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2015, 10:59 AM   #17
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
One of the CPC's obvious goals since Harper has become leader has been to increasingly Americanize politics in this country. Longer elections and more outside money is a big part of that and sadly for the next 10 weeks we can look forward to being beaten over the head with official and unofficial CPC ads.

And for those who were wondering when Mulcair would be featured in the worst set of Canadian ads ever, the answer is now. For fans of wooden, laconic acting though these are the Godfather of political ads. This one with the extreme irony alert: Career politician Stephen Harper says we can't afford a career politician as PM.

This. Can't wait till we turf the guy. With changing the rules in the hideously named 'Fair Elections Act' last year, and now making the election longer, he's inching towards that mess to the south where elections last a year, and no one can actually debate anything of value.

Conservatives are taking plays out of the Republicans books to fix elections. We gotta nip this in the bud before it gets worse. Make them accountable. Don't forget this is also the party that had robocalls giving out false electoral information in a hotly contested riding. That's criminal behaviour. That's banana republic stuff that should NEVER occur in a western democracy. And anyone who thinks it began and ended with that one Conservative staffer, well I have a bridge and some swampland to sell you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daradon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2015, 11:08 AM   #18
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

I think he'll be ready by October 19.

I'll judge who I vote for after the debates.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:27 AM   #19
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, it really sucks to be the leader of the centrist party in this political climate. Harper and Mulcair are going to pig roast the Liberals in the debates. They have little to gain from going after each other, but they are both going to want to pick off voters from the Liberals.

While I am sure there will be some token jabs at each other, the Liberals are going to have to really brace themselves. Trudeau is really going to have hit some homeruns in the debates to try and get the moderates from the Conservatives and NDP to believe in him.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:36 AM   #20
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lets also all be thankful Harper wasn't able to get the TPP deal done before he called the election, if only that was the case for the china "fair trade" deal...

"fair elections act" .. hahahah

can we all just agree to get rid of harper? please?
Closed Thread