Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 02-11-2015, 12:31 PM   #41
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Having seen one of these investigations up close as a young lawyer a long time ago, I'm very skeptical about these sorts of allegations. If they are true, throw the book at him.

The investigation I saw was the first and only time I had ever become deeply concerned about the behavior of the police in Calgary. Their tactics horrified me and they downright lied to everyone involved. Ultimately no charges were laid. I still don't know what the real truth of the matter was. I learned then that some police really can't be trusted in the context of, some will do whatever it takes to get the information they want.

The uncooperative nature of the day home operator may well be justified.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:51 PM   #42
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
Having seen one of these investigations up close as a young lawyer a long time ago, I'm very skeptical about these sorts of allegations. If they are true, throw the book at him.

The investigation I saw was the first and only time I had ever become deeply concerned about the behavior of the police in Calgary. Their tactics horrified me and they downright lied to everyone involved. Ultimately no charges were laid. I still don't know what the real truth of the matter was. I learned then that some police really can't be trusted in the context of, some will do whatever it takes to get the information they want.

The uncooperative nature of the day home operator may well be justified.
I have no doubt that's true. My friend's daycare employee was wrongly accused but it was guilty until proven innocent in the cops eyes. I almost suggested as much earlier but coming from a lawyer, that's terrifying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Okay, let's hear your recommended course of action for parents who find that their daycare is closed (or under suspicion for a crime) today.
I really don't know. When I'm tasked with taking care of something, that's what I do. I have to go water a friend's plants now. I'll probably talk to them for a while. Then give them the required water.

Last edited by OMG!WTF!; 02-11-2015 at 12:53 PM.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:41 PM   #43
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
What purpose does this serve at this stage of the investigation by releasing this sort of statement to the public?

Maybe she did have genuine privacy concerns regarding the release of information. I dunno, in this day and age where you can get sued for anything maybe she was unsure as to whether she was legally obliged/allowed to release this information to the cops.
(Dirty) Police tactic to put pressure in the owner and keep them from having to submit to judicial oversight that is involved in a warrant. Stir up the public enough and make them think the owner is shielding a child molester hoping she'll cave to public pressure. Nothing is stopping the police from applying for a warrant to get the names, except the requirement to submit evidence and stand in front of a judge to defend their request.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:06 PM   #44
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

I must say I'm surprised at the outlash to the wife not co-operating. On a standpoint of wether she feels he's guilty or not, releasing the information is detrimental to his defence and also possibly opens her up for further litigation. This is almost guaranteed at the advice of their lawyer/lawyers. People tend to not understand the fact that Police are not always right and almost certainly think they are when charging someone. Being able to take measures to defend your self and not having to co-operate with police is the way our Justice system works, and how it should. I cannot see how anyone who is so shocked that she isn't rolling over for their investigation wouldn't be doing the same thing themselves.

Last edited by Patek23; 02-11-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Patek23 For This Useful Post:
T@T
Old 10-07-2015, 08:46 AM   #45
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

http://calgaryherald.com/news/crime/...me-sex-assault

Quote:
Crown has stayed charges against a 51-year-old man who was accused of sexual interference involving a four-year-old boy at a private day home in northwest Calgary.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:00 AM   #46
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I don't know if licensed or unlicensed makes a real difference. Child Preditors find a way. Hockey, Schools (heavily licensed with significant background checks), churchs, charities, etc all have had these issues.
Not to mention the condition I have seen in some of these "registered dayhomes" When my wife was running ours unregistered people were shocked at just the cleanliness of our house compared to others they had visited. Makes me happy our daughter is able to go to a family friends house for dayhome
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote