Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 04:06 PM   #1621
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, at least the waterboarding thing is a debate worth having. I don't hate Fiorina as a potential GOP candidate. Don't think she'd make a disastrous president by any stretch.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 09-29-2015, 04:15 PM   #1622
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only two that might win are Kasich and Bush. Once the current trio gets more spotlight turned on them, they'll fade. Then you might see some other guys like Rubio, maybe Christie, maybe Paul get their time in the sun, but Bush and Kasich, the two middle of the road guys will be there.

The main flaw with those guys is that they are as interesting as Carson...
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca

Last edited by Caged Great; 10-09-2015 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:16 PM   #1623
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Trump on 60 Minutes:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-t...-scott-pelley/

Scott Pelley: You say you're gonna lower taxes on the middle class, what are we talking about?
Donald Trump: Well, we're talking about numbers that will be announced over the next two days. And they'll be significant for the middle class.
Scott Pelley: Do you know what the numbers are?
Donald Trump: I know 'em right now.
Scott Pelley: Well, why don't you tell me? This is 60 Minutes. It's time to tell the folks at home the details of what you intend to do.
Donald Trump: I know. I know. I will say this, there will be a large segment of our country that will have a zero rate, a zero rate. And that's something I haven't told anybody.

Scott Pelley: You're talking about cutting corporate income taxes?
Donald Trump: That is correct.
Scott Pelley: But, there's a $19 trillion federal debt.
Donald Trump: That's right. We're gonna grow the economy so much--
Scott Pelley: You can't afford to do those things--
Donald Trump: --no, no, but if the economy grows the way it should grow, if I bring jobs back from China, from Japan, from Mexico, from so many countries, everybody's taking our jobs.
Scott Pelley: How do you get 'em back?
Donald Trump: You get 'em back--
Scott Pelley: Those $20 an hour jobs that this country was built on.
Donald Trump: Right. Exactly. You get 'em back by taking them away from other countries. I mean, if you look at China, we have--
Scott Pelley: How does the president do that?
Donald Trump: Well, the president does it by not allowing places like China to devaluate, you know, they devalue their currency, Scott, to such an extent that it's impossible for our companies to compete every time they do that, they suck the blood right out of our country.
Scott Pelley: You're not running for president of China.

Donald Trump: Let's say Ford-- let's say Ford moves to Mexico. If they want to sell that car in the United States they pay a tax. Here's what's gonna happen, they're not going to build their plant there. They're going to build it in the United States.
Scott Pelley: But there is a North American Free Trade Agreement.
Donald Trump: And there shouldn't be. It's a disaster.
Scott Pelley: But it is there.

Scott Pelley: The constitution is going to tell you no.
Donald Trump: We'll see.
Scott Pelley: The Congress is going to tell you no.
Donald Trump: We'll see.
Scott Pelley: The Supreme Court is gonna tell you no.
Donald Trump: Well, we'll see.

Last edited by troutman; 09-29-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:20 PM   #1624
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hah, who would have thought that Trump would be an advocate for fair trade, errr protectionism.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:30 PM   #1625
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

All the way over on the "demagogue" side of the dial now.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:45 PM   #1626
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
The only two that might win are Kasich and Bush. Once the current trio gets more spotlight turned on them, they'll fade. Then you might see some other guys like Rubio, maybe Christie, maybe Paul get their time in the sun, but Bush and Kasich, the two middle of the two guys will be there.

The main flaw with those guys is that they are as interesting as Carson...
Can you imagine the impact on their campaigns if Trump wasn't in the race?

They'd be dead in the water.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:43 PM   #1627
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Q: How are you going to X?
A: I'm gonna X.
Q: But how can you X?
A: I'm gonna move from Y and do X.
Q: But you can't just X, what about W?

Repeat.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:22 AM   #1628
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I mean, at least the waterboarding thing is a debate worth having. I don't hate Fiorina as a potential GOP candidate. Don't think she'd make a disastrous president by any stretch.
Not sure it's a debate worth having. It is widely recognized as torture and though the US in their stupidity used it as part of enhanced interogation after 9/11 it was banned full stop in 2009. The US has prosecuted and court marshalled people for war crimes for using the technique in the past. No president, congress or senate is going to sanction it's use again unless they are extremely stupid.

So if she wants to have the discussion she can go right ahead but to me it shows that she is someone you don't want in charge. Advocating torture or not having a problem with should set off all sorts of alarm bells.

Last edited by ernie; 09-30-2015 at 08:29 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2015, 08:29 AM   #1629
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Q: How are you going to X?
Q: But how can you X?
A: I'm gonna move from Y and do X.
Q: But you can't just X, what about W?

Repeat.
You forgot, "Trust me, it'll work."
Old 09-30-2015, 08:34 AM   #1630
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
You forgot, "Trust me, it'll work."
Or "Because I'm the next X'er in the world. I can X better than anyone else"
Old 10-07-2015, 07:24 AM   #1631
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a fun day for Ben Carson in his quest to be the craziest ####er to ever run for President. First, he said that he wouldn't just stand there in Oregon, he'd get everyone to attack the gunman (someone did and got shot)...

Quote:
“I would not just stand there and let him shoot me,” Mr. Carson, who has been surging in recent polls, said on Fox News. “I would say: ‘Hey, guys, everybody attack him! He may shoot me, but he can’t get us all.’ ”
Then for fun said kindergarten teachers packing would make him feel better

Quote:
Offering a prescription that echoed the National Rifle Association’s view that arming “good guys” is the answer, Mr. Carson also suggested to USA Today that kindergarten instructors should have weapons training. “If the teacher was trained in the use of that weapon and had access to it, I would be much more comfortable if they had one than if they didn’t,” Mr. Carson said.
He also wouldn't visit the Oregon victims, because he'll just visit the next group of victims families because he knows its a guarantee there will be another one

Quote:
He added that he would probably skip such a trip if he were president. “I mean, I would probably have so many things on my agenda that I would go to the next one,” he said.
He finally takes it to bat#### extreme with this beauty

Quote:
“I never saw a body with bullet holes that was more devastating than taking the right to arm ourselves away,” Mr. Carson wrote.
http://www.nytimes.com/politics/firs...smtyp=cur&_r=0

All of a sudden, the Donald seems like a pretty reasonable choice for the Republicans.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:28 AM   #1632
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty much the same response from Jeb exclamation point...."Stuff happens".
Old 10-09-2015, 07:02 AM   #1633
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

He no speak english good.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:40 AM   #1634
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

McCarthy, the GOP establishment candidate for Speaker dropped out of the Speaker race. Good chance the Tea Party wing gets more powerful. Which is good for whoever the democrat nominee is. It will continue to force the GOP primary to the more extreme right. Or if they win and go crazy enough it might allow the more moderate arm to regain control but can they get control in time for the election?

Last edited by ernie; 10-09-2015 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:51 AM   #1635
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

They're trying to get Paul Ryan to take the speakers job but he doesn't seem to want it as it's a dead end job for someone with Presidential ambitions.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:14 AM   #1636
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Its tough now without Boehner, US politics is really going to become even MORE partisan, with the crazy tea party-ers getting a longer leash. Could be some bizarre political volitility out of the US the next few years.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:28 AM   #1637
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I pride myself of never buying into the fear politicians sell. The Russians are coming, Isis is coming, liberals are coming to take the guns away, the Canadians are coming, big Pharma is coming, Mexicans are coming, and the list goes on and on. Phooey, all of it.

However, for the first time in my life, I have fear. Fear for the future because of how idiotic the politicians for 2016 are. From both sides, but mostly the GOP. In a modern society where we face REAL issues like climate change, social injustice globally and economic uncertainty, the most powerful country in the world fights tooth and nail to keep around a relic law from 200 years ago so people can continue to freely murder each other. Rampant racism exists in a country made up entirely of immigrants. Said country is trying to go back to an era of isolation in an era of ever increasing globalization.

The world needs America, and America can benefit so much from cooperating. I actually get genuinely pissed off when most of these candidates open their yaps. The problem is two fold though, in that you could have Jesus as President, but the system of politics wouldn't allow him to achieve anything positive. I would like Bernie Sanders as president, at least he doesn't say racist/hateful/stupid things. His agenda is a touch left leaning for my own liking, but at the end of the day, America has the dough. They just need to spend it wisely. If Bernie by some miraculous intervention of biblical proportions was able to get his agenda through the houses of congress, America would be awesome for everyone.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:20 PM   #1638
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I pride myself of never buying into the fear politicians sell. The Russians are coming, Isis is coming, liberals are coming to take the guns away, the Canadians are coming, big Pharma is coming, Mexicans are coming, and the list goes on and on. Phooey, all of it.

However, for the first time in my life, I have fear. Fear for the future because of how idiotic the politicians for 2016 are. From both sides, but mostly the GOP. In a modern society where we face REAL issues like climate change, social injustice globally and economic uncertainty, the most powerful country in the world fights tooth and nail to keep around a relic law from 200 years ago so people can continue to freely murder each other. Rampant racism exists in a country made up entirely of immigrants. Said country is trying to go back to an era of isolation in an era of ever increasing globalization.

The world needs America, and America can benefit so much from cooperating. I actually get genuinely pissed off when most of these candidates open their yaps. The problem is two fold though, in that you could have Jesus as President, but the system of politics wouldn't allow him to achieve anything positive. I would like Bernie Sanders as president, at least he doesn't say racist/hateful/stupid things. His agenda is a touch left leaning for my own liking, but at the end of the day, America has the dough. They just need to spend it wisely. If Bernie by some miraculous intervention of biblical proportions was able to get his agenda through the houses of congress, America would be awesome for everyone.

Don't get me wrong, Democrats have their own issues as well, but they aren't even in the same realm. The few GOP presidential candidates who might not be awful don't really stand a chance, because the grandstanding Tea Party types are hijacking the entire Republican party.

To me, Democrat issues are pretty standard flip-flopping and typical government corruption type issues that have plagued politics for ages. The Tea Party types that have taken over the GOP want some screwed up Christianized version of Sharia Law. Politics are always corrupt, but with the GOP they're corrupt and also terrifying.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wittynickname For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2015, 08:46 PM   #1639
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

That will really help the Republican's chances next year. The house being so dysfunctional, that they can't get anyone to be the speaker is telling and it might get to the point where they toss the whole lot out in an effort to restore some sanity.

Any democratic leaning voter needs to come out next November and vote.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Old 10-11-2015, 04:25 PM   #1640
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boehner realized he was on a sinking ship with no land in sight.

Tags
clinton 2016 , context , democrat , history , obama rules! , politics , republican