Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2015, 08:28 AM   #721
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
That's bad luck, overall YYZ ain't bad. Statistically...

Avoid EWR
Avoid ORD
Avoid BOS
Avoid LGA

In that order.
Agree about BOS and EWR, I hate them both.

Funny though, I actually actively seek out LGA. It's a giant turd of an airport, but it's small, so its easily the quickest of the NYC airports to deal with, so you're in and out really fast. EWR is a pain to get to, always has weird security issues, and more delays. JFK looks great, but is far from the city, and very rarely do I fly through there and not have some sort of delays. Ive had quite a few flights where Ive spent 2+ hours sitting on the tarmac.

I also prefer ORD over YYZ any day of the week. It's big, but efficient. Plus you don't have to do security again like you do in Toronto, as you've already gone through it in Calgary. They also have a pretty good food selection if you're ever stuck. Unfortunately, flying through Chicago usually means United...ugh.

My favourite airport though to fly through was MSP. Nice and efficient, lots of amenities, and they train between the terminals has a woman announcing the stations who sounds like she's from a James Bond movie.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:20 PM   #722
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Every time I've flown through Toronto must've been a "bad day" then. Ive gone through the same scenario as you several times now, and each time it was a total clusterfata. I don't think adding more steps to an already painful process was the smart decision.

There are 3 basic rules I try to follow:
1. Avoid sitting in the middle seat.
2. Avoid United in any capacity.
3. Avoid YYZ.
I've never really had a problem with United (though my sister certainly has, so I can see it), but totally agreed with the other two points. On planes with 3 seat rows, I will pay the extra $20 if I have to to get an aisle seat in the "economy plus" rows. And yeah, YYZ seems to be problematic. But then, so is O'Hare. The busy airports will always suck, period.

Edit: Agreed on LGA. It was a terrible airport, but when i went to New York last year, I was in and out in no time. The bottleneck getting to and from was... YYZ.

My first experience with LAX will be in September, so we'll see how that goes.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:24 PM   #723
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Forest Lawn is not in the NE
Thus the "and" . . . but I understand how you read it the way you did.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:00 PM   #724
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
I suppose... but I still don't like my stuff being on display to others while I'm stuck behind security.
For this reason I always wait until I can go through the metal detector before I send my bin/bag through the xray machine. I don't feel bad about this because my assessment of the setup is that the metal detector / personal screening process is the bottleneck in the system 99% of the time. So I get to keep my stuff with me while adding little to no inefficiencies to the system.

Quote:
My favourite airport though to fly through was MSP. Nice and efficient, lots of amenities, and they train between the terminals has a woman announcing the stations who sounds like she's from a James Bond movie.
Far and away my favorite airport to be stuck in a layover for. Great ammenities, great shopping, nice layout.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:24 PM   #725
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post

LAX sucks. Its a old, run down dump. Was a totally cluster fata last time I was there, security line literally out the front door and a 1/4 mile down the sidewalk. Arrive early!
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:34 PM   #726
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went down for Games 1 & 2 in Anaheim a couple of weeks ago and flew WestJet into and out of LAX. The security line wasn't too bad, but the terminal that they fly out of is undergoing a huge renovation right now, so almost everything was behind construction walls and there were only a couple of places open. The line at Starbucks was ridiculous.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:04 PM   #727
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I also prefer ORD over YYZ any day of the week. It's big, but efficient.
AA and UA have significantly reduced their operations at ORD, and the airside facilities are undergoing a massive expansion so that helps in terms of air traffic. Only a couple of years ago, cloudy skies in ORD or ATL would literally screw over air traffic for all of North America, such is the amount of volume going through those two airports. Still happens. LGA/JFK/EWR tend to hit the fan as a group and that has a huge impact as well.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:39 PM   #728
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Thus the "and" . . . but I understand how you read it the way you did.
Ya, I'll say I grew up in Whitehorn, and Forest Lawn/Dover/Ogden... Is this funny area where people from the Deep SE seem to want to give that area to the NE, and people from the NE seem to tell them they can keep it.

All in All pretty great for Calgary that is the worst area we can muster, there are cities in the US where that would be the nice neighbourhood.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:26 AM   #729
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I went down for Games 1 & 2 in Anaheim a couple of weeks ago and flew WestJet into and out of LAX. The security line wasn't too bad, but the terminal that they fly out of is undergoing a huge renovation right now, so almost everything was behind construction walls and there were only a couple of places open. The line at Starbucks was ridiculous.
That's just LAX all-the-freaking-time.

I was in that same terminal in March taking Hawaiian to Maui. LAX is such a dump.

However I think the international terminal is nice, but I've never been in it.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:43 AM   #730
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

WestJet will be announcing their summer 2016 767 flights to London-Gatwick either today or tomorrow, here are the routes:

-YYC 5x weekly
-YYZ daily
-YVR 6x weekly
-YEG 2x weekly
-YWG 1x weekly

http://airlineroute.net/2015/09/14/ws-lgw-s16/
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2015, 07:00 AM   #731
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

A few more changes coming up next season for YYC flights:

-Air Canada is dropping the 2nd LHR flight that operated 4x weekly in the summer
-Winter '16 (October start) KLM is upgauging their AMS flight to the new 787-9 from the A332 (6x weekly operation)

Some info on how this affects the overall seats to Europe from Johnny Aussie on SSP:

Quote:
Despite the loss of the four weekly AC flights to LHR.

YYC will still have a 7.8% increase in seats to Europe next summer compared to last summer. About 1,030 seats per week.

The additions of Westjet to LGW, Edelweiss to ZRH and the upgauge of KLM to AMS greatly offset the loss of the AC flights and the loss of one weekly Condor to FRA.

So it ain't all bad!

This is assuming, of course, nothing else changes... but it's only October!

Last edited by Bigtime; 10-28-2015 at 07:27 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:58 AM   #732
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

KLM 787-9
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2015, 09:43 AM   #733
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you liked that KelVarnsen you're gonna love this, AC is going all Dreamliner on YYC:

Quote:
According to this press release, Air Canada will upgauge all three international routes out of YYC to Dreamliners.

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=933

Not specific whether they will be 787-8 or 787-9.

My hunch is YYC-LHR and YYC-FRA go 787-9 and with YVR-PVG going 777 replacing the 787-8 this frees up a 787-8 for YYC-NRT.

YYC-LHR going to be a 787-8 from Jan - April anyway.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:40 AM   #734
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are Dreamliners noticeably nicer or more comfortable compared to traditional aircraft? (Economy class only, obviously).

From what I read, they are just more fuel efficient...
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:40 AM   #735
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
I've never really had a problem with United (though my sister certainly has, so I can see it), but totally agreed with the other two points. On planes with 3 seat rows, I will pay the extra $20 if I have to to get an aisle seat in the "economy plus" rows. And yeah, YYZ seems to be problematic. But then, so is O'Hare. The busy airports will always suck, period.

Edit: Agreed on LGA. It was a terrible airport, but when i went to New York last year, I was in and out in no time. The bottleneck getting to and from was... YYZ.

I'm the same as you. I've rarely had a problem with United. Whenever I fly to Chicago I always get the economy plus because most people are too cheap to pay the extra fee. There isn't really a noticeable difference in the leg room but that isn't a problem for me...but quite often I end up with a full row to myself.

Now Delta...I have problems with.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:49 AM   #736
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

When in the name of all things holy will there be a YYC-PEK direct route?

I'm getting really tired of connecting through YVR
Tron_fdc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:58 AM   #737
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Are Dreamliners noticeably nicer or more comfortable compared to traditional aircraft? (Economy class only, obviously).

From what I read, they are just more fuel efficient...
It all depends on the carrier. BA's 787-8 economy is so cramped, that they had to put in wider seats for their 787-9.

It was a plane designed for 8 across, but the airlines jam in 9 back in cattle class.

You do notice the better humidity and such though. The big windows make for a better feeling too.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:09 AM   #738
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
When in the name of all things holy will there be a YYC-PEK direct route?

I'm getting really tired of connecting through YVR
When a good landing slot time opens up in PEK for an airline willing to serve the route (Air Canada and Air China are the two most likely, both Star Alliance), and probably when our economy gets better too.

In the case of Air Canada they'll probably also need some spare metal to operate it. Right now they are pretty much maxed out on their widebody fleet.

How about connecting through Narita using the YYC-NRT flight?
Old 10-29-2015, 11:31 AM   #739
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I looked at NRT and for some reason the pricing is insane and I can never really get the times to work.

My final destination is Qingdao, so right now I fly YYC-YVR-Pek-TAO

Ideally, I would like to eliminate a flight and go YYC-(XXX)-TAO, and do it in under 18 hours. I haven't found a way to do it yet that is as cheap as my current routing.
Tron_fdc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:46 AM   #740
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hainan Airlines has applied with the Civil Aviation Administration of China to operate Beijing-Calgary 4x weekly starting June 2016. Flight to be operated by either their A330's (they have both 200 and 300 series) or the 787.

http://www.chinaaviationdaily.com/news/48/48804.html
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc