Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2015, 07:37 AM   #1141
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Yay found it on youtubes

Old 09-08-2015, 01:06 PM   #1142
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

And the Ukraine has the first polio outbreak in Europe in 5 years....which was also in Ukraine. Two children have been paralyzed. Ukraine has sub 50% vaccination levels.

Now the problem with this one is going to be that they believe that the low vaccination levels allowed the infiltration of a mutated form stemming from the weakened virus vaccinations...vaccine derived poliovirus. If indeed true (and it is), the anti-vaccine people are going to run off half-cocked yelling "I told you so" while continuing to not understand the science.

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and...europe-5-years
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:38 PM   #1143
Knut

Exp:

Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:21 PM   #1144
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been reading about autism a lot lately, mainly because I just became a parent and want to consider anything environmental that might be a trigger. There are some studies that seem to link stomach flora to autism. Something like 80% of people with autism also have stomach problems. Although the jury is still out, our pediatrician has recommended giving our baby probiotics to promote healthy gut flora. There do not seem to be any negative side effects, so we are going with it.

On the topic of vaccinations, I have every intention to vaccinate our baby. In fact, she is scheduled next week for her first round. I am a little apprehensive though, mainly because she was 5 weeks premature. They are counting the 2 months vaccination benchmark from when she was born, rather than her gestational age. I don't get it, because everything else I have been told about her developmental benchmarks says to start counting from her gestational age and not her birthdate. Our family doctor recommended asking the pediatrician about an alternative schedule just to see if it was an option. I asked the pediatrician about having an alternate schedule, and she said that we need the vaccinations now she won't take patients that are not vaccinated. We were proposing to do half now, and then half in 5 weeks when she catches up to her gestational age. Since we feel it is important to have a pediatrician for our daughter, we will heed her advice, but I can't help but worry.

I am probably just overly paranoid as all parents are, but for the people here that know about vaccinations, is there any reason I should be concerned? Our baby is still tiny (under 7 pounds) and has had trouble gaining weight. I worry that the vaccinations are intended for normal 2 month old babies with more body mass. It has nothing to do with autism, but rather other side effects (fever, allergic reaction, swelling, pain, etc...).

Edit: That should have said 5 weeks premature (not months)!

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 10-06-2015 at 03:36 PM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:42 PM   #1145
Knut

Exp:

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/...p03-05-eng.php

Some good info here.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2015, 01:52 PM   #1146
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks, that is really helpful.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:02 PM   #1147
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

1) The dose will be fine. The reason kids dosed are smaller than adult doses is simply that adults would not get enough to achieve immunity. A child could receive an adult dose and there's no additional risk. The reverse would be worse as the injection would not be effective. The only dose related side effect may be local site irritation, and that's an incredibly minor difference.

As for timing, your child is at a far higher risk for vaccine preventable illness and studies suggest not issuing corrected age. In fact, your child may require more doses rather than less to be healthy
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2015, 02:12 PM   #1148
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I have been reading about autism a lot lately, mainly because I just became a parent and want to consider anything environmental that might be a trigger. There are some studies that seem to link stomach flora to autism. Something like 80% of people with autism also have stomach problems. Although the jury is still out, our pediatrician has recommended giving our baby probiotics to promote healthy gut flora. There do not seem to be any negative side effects, so we are going with it.

On the topic of vaccinations, I have every intention to vaccinate our baby. In fact, she is scheduled next week for her first round. I am a little apprehensive though, mainly because she was 5 weeks premature. They are counting the 2 months vaccination benchmark from when she was born, rather than her gestational age. I don't get it, because everything else I have been told about her developmental benchmarks say to start counting from her gestational age and not her birthdate. Our family doctor recommended asking the pediatrician about an alternative schedule just to see if it was an option. I asked the pediatrician about having an alternate schedule, and she said that we need the vaccinations now and if we don't get them then she won't see us anymore. We were proposing to do half now, and then half in 5 weeks when she catches up to her gestational age. Since we feel it is important to have a pediatrician, we will heed her advice, but I can't help but worry.

I am probably just overly paranoid as all parents are, but for the people here that know about vaccinations, is there any reason I should be concerned? Our baby is still tiny (under 7 pounds) and has had trouble gaining weight. I worry that the vaccinations are intended for normal 2 month old babies with more body mass. It has nothing to do with autism, but rather other side effects (fever, allergic reaction, swelling, pain, etc...).

You will have to hang out at the clinic for 15-30 minutes after to make sure there are no major side effects. Usually just a small fever and they will be more tired. Tylenol helps a lot and the effects only last a day or so.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to northcrunk For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2015, 05:00 AM   #1149
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

My niece had her son 7 weeks premature, and she did the full schedule so far as per the EU guidelines, no problems at all for them

Its interesting you mention the flora and autism. A lot of the really exciting research in the last 5 years is been on the human biome, this is a wild west for research and it hints at some major breakthroughs including Alzheimers, obesity, autism, etc.. I think there is a lot to this idea, and the more research that comes out, the more links we are finding to our biome having a really important and as yet unknown effect on so many health and disease issues.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...-1980s/407974/

Last edited by Thor; 10-07-2015 at 05:07 AM.
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thor For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2015, 08:51 AM   #1150
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Antivaccine activists fund a study to show vaccines cause autism. It backfires spectacularly.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org...spectacularly/
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2015, 12:03 PM   #1151
flamingchina
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post

On the topic of vaccinations, I have every intention to vaccinate our baby. In fact, she is scheduled next week for her first round. I am a little apprehensive though, mainly because she was 5 weeks premature. They are counting the 2 months vaccination benchmark from when she was born, rather than her gestational age. I don't get it, because everything else I have been told about her developmental benchmarks says to start counting from her gestational age and not her birthdate. Our family doctor recommended asking the pediatrician about an alternative schedule just to see if it was an option. I asked the pediatrician about having an alternate schedule, and she said that we need the vaccinations now she won't take patients that are not vaccinated. We were proposing to do half now, and then half in 5 weeks when she catches up to her gestational age. Since we feel it is important to have a pediatrician for our daughter, we will heed her advice, but I can't help but worry.

Our baby was 6 weeks premature, and I also questioned the real age vs adjusted age thing.
We didn't have any issues with the vaccines (woo, data set of 1!) and our baby was 6.8 lbs at 2 months (Real, not adjusted)
flamingchina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamingchina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2016, 01:27 PM   #1152
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/...ce-transgenic/

Quote:
First Monkeys with Autism Created in China
They spin in their cages and don’t interact. The scientists who created autistic monkeys say they’ll now try to cure them.
At first my stomach turned at the thought of these creatures being created, but after thinking about it for a while, what's another viable option?

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:31 PM   #1153
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Computer models and holographic representations are a long ways away.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:26 PM   #1154
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertgl.../#7695b1cb78a3

Quote:
JAN 31, 2016 @ 12:37 PM 1,580 VIEWS
Autism Risk In Children Quadrupled For Moms With Maternal Obesity And Diabetes

Robert Glatter, MD
CONTRIBUTOR

According to a recent study by researchers at Johns Hopkins University, mothers who are obese during pregnancy run nearly two times the risk of having a child with autism, compared with those who are not obese.

However, if a woman also has diabetes, the researchers noted, the risk of having a child with autism is at least four times higher.

Their research was published in the journal Pediatrics.

“This finding is not a total surprise,” said Dr. Xiaobin Wang, lead author in the study. “Many studies have shown that maternal obesity and diabetes have an adverse impact on developing fetuses and their long-term metabolic health.”

“Now we have further evidence that maternal obesity and diabetes also impact the long-term neural development of their children,” added Wang.

Recent studies indicate that close to one-third of American women who are of childbearing age are obese according to clinical criteria, with close to 10% of them being diabetic as well.

According to the CDC, one in 68 children today have autism spectrum disorder or ASD, which includes pervasive developmental disorders, including the more well known disorder known as Asperger Syndrome. In absolute numbers, this translates to nearly 1.5% of children in the U.S.

But placed in greater context, the researchers believe the risk grows to nearly 3% for children of women with maternal obesity or diabetes. And the risk actually becomes closer to 5% or 6% when moms have both obesity and diabetes.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:10 PM   #1155
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can any older people on this forum say if they knew any autistic people growing up? I'm in my early 30s and didn't know any. Although the last few years I know several people who have kids with autism.

I don't believe vaccines cause autism, but I'm wondering, if rates are much higher today than in the past?
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:15 PM   #1156
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Can any older people on this forum say if they knew any autistic people growing up? I'm in my early 30s and didn't know any. Although the last few years I know several people who have kids with autism.

I don't believe vaccines cause autism, but I'm wondering, if rates are much higher today than in the past?
There's way better testing and understanding of autism now. Autism exists on a spectrum, so there very well could have been autistic kids growing up with you who just went undiagnosed.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:34 PM   #1157
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, I'm not a psychologist but there was a kid in my school growing up, two years behind me and I can guarantee he was on the spectrum. Just absolutely no question but either a) he wasn't diagnosed; b) we didn't talk about its so normalize it, so he got made fun of, a lot, for being weird.

He got called ###### a lot. Probably was autistic and no one knew. Kids are awful.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:39 PM   #1158
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

There was a kid a few years behind me in elementary school that was autistic and I believe was diagnosed at the time (I'm early 30's so this would have been late 80's early 90's). I didn't actually get to know him until I was in my late 20's (since then he's become an internet phenomenon).

I'm sure there are others, but not off the top of my head.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:39 AM   #1159
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

No, but chances they were lumped in with other developmentally delayed kids and not called Austistic.

I don't think we thought about it in a wide spread way until Rain Man came out.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2016, 12:17 PM   #1160
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Oh yes, Rainman was for sure my first exposure to that spectrum, had never met anyone up to that point with it.