Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2015, 06:30 PM   #361
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

No kidding, one set of heavy deadlifts and my head is spinning, heart pounding and sweat freely pouring from every pore in my body like someone flipped a switch. I'm weird though I love leg day and barely being able to crawl up the strairs out of the gym.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:40 PM   #362
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
For any of the people who use Whey protein stuff: is there a time after working out where it's basically too late to take it (in terms of effectiveness)? A couple times this week I did an impromptu work out at our crappy work gym, finishing around 2:30. I'm home at 5, is that too much time to the point where there's no point even bothering taking the protein powder? I know usually it should be within the hour.

I just ask cuz that stuff's expensive and I'm almost out again, don't wanna just needlessly waste it if I've missed my post-workout window. Thanks!
Ya, I think the "protein window" that a lot of people go on about is just bro talk. I think the bigger reason for eating after a workout is that you are simply starving after the energy you burned. Looking at the rate in which the body digests and works with protein, it would theoretically be the preworkout protein that your body is finally repairing muscle with by the time you finish. All that said, I think most of the studies, and even anecdotal advice, is moving toward just getting your macros in through out the day. The notion of a work out being wasted because of a missed protein shake is kind of silly imo. I typically schedule my work outs to be right before dinner, but quite a bit of time probably passes from the time I do my last set, throw in 30 minutes of cardio, get home etc. I always get in a pre workout meal though- could be any number of things from oatmeal and whey to a protein shake, rice and tuna etc
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2015, 07:28 PM   #363
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
No kidding, one set of heavy deadlifts and my head is spinning, heart pounding and sweat freely pouring from every pore in my body like someone flipped a switch. I'm weird though I love leg day and barely being able to crawl up the strairs out of the gym.
Squats and deads are untouchable. They reek havoc on your nervous system, and help create larger HGH and testosterone releases.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:10 PM   #364
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for all the info Flab, that makes sense about just getting it throughout the day. Someone at work was telling me about "something in your body staying more open for about an hour after", or something, but they may have as solid a grasp on biology as me.

Oh and it wasn't a wasted workout I was worried about, but a wasted scoop of the protein stuff. She's pricy and almost empty.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:54 AM   #365
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Ya, I think the "protein window" that a lot of people go on about is just bro talk. I think the bigger reason for eating after a workout is that you are simply starving after the energy you burned. Looking at the rate in which the body digests and works with protein, it would theoretically be the preworkout protein that your body is finally repairing muscle with by the time you finish. All that said, I think most of the studies, and even anecdotal advice, is moving toward just getting your macros in through out the day. The notion of a work out being wasted because of a missed protein shake is kind of silly imo. I typically schedule my work outs to be right before dinner, but quite a bit of time probably passes from the time I do my last set, throw in 30 minutes of cardio, get home etc. I always get in a pre workout meal though- could be any number of things from oatmeal and whey to a protein shake, rice and tuna etc
It's the supplement companies that have pushed that myth. For most people the only was to get 30g of protein within 1 hour of a workout would be via a protein shake.

I always get my best results via natural protein sources like chicken breast.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:53 AM   #366
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drak View Post
Squats and deads are untouchable. They reek havoc on your nervous system, and help create larger HGH and testosterone releases.
Yeah the boost in energy the day after is addictive. Waking up feeling energized and vitalized is the best.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:10 AM   #367
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

The absolute worst thing about gym culture is "inspirational" Facebook posts with 30 hash tags #fit #fitlife #feelsgood #pump #killedit
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2015, 10:57 AM   #368
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
The absolute worst thing about gym culture is "inspirational" Facebook posts with 30 hash tags #fit #fitlife #feelsgood #pump #killedit
#broscience

thebrofessor
Old 10-08-2015, 11:15 AM   #369
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

At the end of the day successful working out is quite simple:

1) Lift hard on some compound workouts. Be consistent.

2) Eat a high protein diet. If you want to lose fat, you also need to restrict calories.

The amount of marketing science out their is astounding. You don't need x-branch amino acids, to eat within x amount of time after working out, 200 grams of protein a day, etc...It's also quite astounding that people can't see that all the spokesmen for these products are clearly using anabolic drugs. If you're on huge amounts of gear you can eat whatever you want and gain muscle/lose fat. Even the people pushing these products probably don't use them. They're stuffing their faces with Taco Bell and then sticking needles into their rear ends.

I know a guy who competes as a high level strongman. His facebook feed is filled with crap about his supposed supplements from his sponsors. Meanwhile, in reality, the guy eats whatever he wants and uses a ton of gear.

I've got nothing against people who use gear, and I'm not hating on them or their accomplishments. It still takes a ton of dedication to be a competitive lifter/body builder, even on gear. They just need to stop marketing products they know don't work, and the public needs to wise up and stop buying them.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2015, 11:57 AM   #370
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I work out 4-5 times a week, focusing on two muscle groups per workout. Usually try to do 20-30 mins of cardio to start (should be 40 to really scorch fat, or atleast HIIT type cardio at the current time), then 8-10 exercises total (usually around 3-4 sets at 8-12 reps per set, depending on the exercise).

I take a protein shake immediately after getting changed and leaving the gym (I bring it with me so I don't forget to have it). I also find that a pre-workout energy booster generally does help me too. Obviously it's not necessary, but why not.. it was a gift. Still deciding if supplements are necessary - they are expensive to keep up with.

I try to eat regular healthy meals, and only eat until I'm not hungry (not until I'm completely full) and it seems to be working well. That whole six meals a day thing is too tough for me to follow. I also make sure that, no matter what, I take 4000 iu's of Vitamin D, a fish oil pill and a multi-vitamin in the morning.

I'm in pretty good shape... I think the formula is to just be consistently active (make sure you're increasing weights / intensity / changing exercises regularly in order to avoid plateauing), avoid crap foods (avoid carbonated drinks like the plague), get proper sleep and you'll be fine. It's a lifestyle, and as long as you're generally doing it right, you'll see results.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:22 PM   #371
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been taking creatine again.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:34 PM   #372
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Depends who you ask. A lot of studies have come out recently saying it doesn't matter when you take your protein as long as you get it.
It's also pretty well known that the most important time to get your protein fill is the day after. Your body is in a state of recovery and the last thing you want is to worry about protein before/after your workout and then not get enough the next day. You don't want your body to use it's reserves to feed itself. IMO eating properly on recovery days is much more important then worrying about eating at a certain time after a workout. That's broscience stuff.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:45 PM   #373
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm just starting up. I really need to be held accountable, and want to get into shape.
My plan's to lose some excess weight, then starting bulking up. I'm probably "skinny fat", which is further accented by bad posture (APT), which I want to fix as well.

I've gone to the gym the past two nights, and can barely extend my arms all the way. Should have lowered the weights, instead of trying to lift what I was lifting when I stopped going to the gym ~5 months ago. Still feels good though to be back at it. Playing hockey tonight should be interesting.

I'm taking creatine and protein powder to supplement my daily intake. I really enjoy a PPL routine, and will be sticking at that until progress stalls.

I figure that going to the gym saves me money and keeps calories down, compared to drinking beer and eating wings.

Friday's my rest day - I'm planning to get some sort of exercise every other day (whether it's the gym or hockey).
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 04:37 PM   #374
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
There might be something to the idea of replenishing glycogen stores after a workout, but I doubt it is that big of a deal.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 04:39 PM   #375
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
At the end of the day successful working out is quite simple:

1) Lift hard on some compound workouts. Be consistent.

2) Eat a high protein diet. If you want to lose fat, you also need to restrict calories.

The amount of marketing science out their is astounding. You don't need x-branch amino acids, to eat within x amount of time after working out, 200 grams of protein a day, etc...It's also quite astounding that people can't see that all the spokesmen for these products are clearly using anabolic drugs. If you're on huge amounts of gear you can eat whatever you want and gain muscle/lose fat. Even the people pushing these products probably don't use them. They're stuffing their faces with Taco Bell and then sticking needles into their rear ends.

I know a guy who competes as a high level strongman. His facebook feed is filled with crap about his supposed supplements from his sponsors. Meanwhile, in reality, the guy eats whatever he wants and uses a ton of gear.

I've got nothing against people who use gear, and I'm not hating on them or their accomplishments. It still takes a ton of dedication to be a competitive lifter/body builder, even on gear. They just need to stop marketing products they know don't work, and the public needs to wise up and stop buying them.
I agree with you for the most part but there are supplements that can help most lifters.

Creatine for one. Anyone is who doing a heavy squat/deadlift program will benefit from taking creatine.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 04:49 PM   #376
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I agree with you for the most part but there are supplements that can help most lifters.

Creatine for one. Anyone is who doing a heavy squat/deadlift program will benefit from taking creatine.
Yeah, looking back on my post, it got a bit ranty quickly.

I'd agree that creatine has been proven to be useful. Creatine is also very cheap, and you can get a year's supply for about $40. My issue is with the bigger supplement industry as a whole. The average lifter does not need hundreds of dollars of supplements a month.

At most, creatine and a cheap why protein should be used. The rest is all hype. Even pre-workouts are just caffeine.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2015, 06:53 PM   #377
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been lifting for 2 months now, and just started taking protein powder and creatine two weeks ago. I don't know if they've helped, but hopefully it does.

I do find it frustrating how little visible the improvements have been. I feel a lot stronger, and I can lift way more than I did two months ago, but it's not doing much to fill out my 6'3" frame.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:12 PM   #378
sworkhard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Yeah, looking back on my post, it got a bit ranty quickly.

I'd agree that creatine has been proven to be useful. Creatine is also very cheap, and you can get a year's supply for about $40. My issue is with the bigger supplement industry as a whole. The average lifter does not need hundreds of dollars of supplements a month.

At most, creatine and a cheap why protein should be used. The rest is all hype. Even pre-workouts are just caffeine.
No, they not just caffeine. They are caffeine, vitamine b's, and some complimentary things to help reduce the jitters (some of them). If you take caffeine, a b-complex, and some calcium, and some pantothenic acid, your pretty much in the same place as a typical preworkout.
sworkhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:44 PM   #379
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone here go to the Thorncliff Community Centre? I'm hopin' to find a workout mate, but know ahead of time that I'm starting from scratch.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:05 PM   #380
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Just try eating healthy which means lots of probiotic food, lots of high quality minerals and nutrients, lots of clean water and not much processed food and if you do eat processed food follow it up with some probiotics.

People make the diet part way too complicated, supplements and stuff are a little ridiculous when you're exponentially better off just eating quality food that provides true sustenance.

Some chlorella, spirulina and saukraut will make you just as strong as hydroxy-9-delta powerboost or whatever. Go natural, you'll be way healthier with way more energy, the further away from food something is the worse it is for you.

Even something like creatine, you're better off with food than a synthetic powder. What happens to people on all these supplements is you'll get huge boosts of energy then later you'll feel delfated and weak depending on how much you are taking, these supplements take vital energy away from the body in the metabolic process.

Last edited by AcGold; 10-08-2015 at 09:09 PM.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote