Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: If the election were held today, who would you vote for?
Conservatives 91 39.22%
Liberals 126 54.31%
NDP 6 2.59%
Greens 8 3.45%
Other 1 0.43%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2015, 10:07 PM   #61
eddly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I find it funny you say this while using the Blazers logo for your avatar.
Here is a funny joke for you. I lived in Kamloops for several years and followed the team.

eddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:11 PM   #62
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddly View Post
The smell of it makes me quite sick too. So there is that as well.
Sounds like a valid reason to put those who use it in jail then.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:26 PM   #63
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well it does have an effect on me when I smell it. Same with tobacco smoke. Can't easily avoid it.
You can easily walk up wind.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:30 PM   #64
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Well it does have an effect on me when I smell it. Same with tobacco smoke. Can't easily avoid it.
Do you wear a bubble over your head and let pot smokers breathe into the air hole?
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2015, 10:36 PM   #65
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't smoke it, but I do support the regulated, taxed and legalised sale of pot. I would like to see it treated the same way as cigarettes though with regards to second-hand smoke.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2015, 10:41 PM   #66
eddly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Sounds like a valid reason to put those who use it in jail then.
I doubt that is happening now.

For me I need to know what regulating marijuana means. Similar to tobacco? Trudeau has hinted no... it wouldn't be as freely available as tobacco but he hasn't explained it any further. It is just my personal opinion for which I feel I am being lightly attacked for. I guess that is fine.

I just find that Mulcair makes promises he won't be able to keep and Trudeau makes promises that are well received but he neglects to provide sufficient detail. Lower taxes for middle class? Has he defined the middle class for us? There is no one widely accepted definition of middle class. I guess we would find out eventually. Borrow money now because debt is cheap now? Does he gave a plan to pay it back once rates get higher? Haven't heard anything about that... pension splitting and tfsas are only used by the rich? That is a stretch. Universal childcare benefits favor the rich and instead should be based on income thresholds? Well I guess Trudeau does not understand that they are taxable income and technically it is then based on income thresholds.

Despite this I am warming up to him as a potential PM as I get the impression that he has a good team that supports him... he is just too dependant on them.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:45 PM   #67
eddly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Do you wear a bubble over your head and let pot smokers breathe into the air hole?
No? That probably would be an unproductive thing for me to do. Do you think that is the only way for me to smell it? Marijuana does not really have a subtle smell.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:36 AM   #68
CampbellsTransgressions
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

For me I need to know what regulating marijuana means. Similar to tobacco? Trudeau has hinted no... it wouldn't be as freely available as tobacco but he hasn't explained it any further. It is just my personal opinion for which I feel I am being lightly attacked for. I guess that is fine.

I just find that Mulcair makes promises he won't be able to keep and Trudeau makes promises that are well received but he neglects to provide sufficient detail. Lower taxes for middle class? Has he defined the middle class for us? There is no one widely accepted definition of middle class. I guess we would find out eventually. Borrow money now because debt is cheap now? Does he gave a plan to pay it back once rates get higher? Haven't heard anything about that... pension splitting and tfsas are only used by the rich? That is a stretch. Universal childcare benefits favor the rich and instead should be based on income thresholds? Well I guess Trudeau does not understand that they are taxable income and technically it is then based on income thresholds.

Despite this I am warming up to him as a potential PM as I get the impression that he has a good team that supports him... he is just too dependant on them.
Regardless of whether or not people are being jailed for simple possession, the illegality of the substance is still providing cash for gangs. What could become a regulated and heavily taxed industry is instead a drain on our prison system and a loss of taxable earnings. Any capitalist should support the legalization of marijuana.

If it's only downside is the smell, it can be addressed with much more fair and less compromising laws.

As for what Trudeau considers to be the middle class, his platform makes a pattern of targeting the richest 1%. A common figure for middle class is less than $200,000:

https://www.liberal.ca/files/2015/10...ddle-class.pdf
Page 80.

The Liberals plan to have a balanced budget at the end of four years. Their deficit spending is intended to stimulate the economy to generate larger surpluses further down the line, as well as to provide much needed infrastructure throughout the country. For Calgary, this means the green line and flood mitigation infrastructure. Whether or not you agree with this is up to you.

They've never stated that the doubling of the TFSA and income splitting benefits only the rich, merely that they are strongly weighted towards the rich. I don't care for their reversal on the TFSA, but it's not enough of an election issue for me to sway to either side.

Your argument about the UCCB has me confused. Even if the rich are taxed at a higher bracket, they are still receiving money that they do not need when that money could be going to the people that need it significantly more.
CampbellsTransgressions is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CampbellsTransgressions For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2015, 12:45 AM   #69
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Here is a funny joke for you. I lived in Kamloops for several years and followed the team.
Hilarious. No need to get defensive. Lighten up a bit.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2015, 05:27 AM   #70
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Welcome to CP - the bastion of tolerance, where anyone is attacked if they don't share the correct opinion of the collective left soft social justice warrior moral majority.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2015, 06:38 AM   #71
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I would go further than just decriminalizing marijuana. If it were up to me, I would decriminalize all drugs. Hell, I would even decriminalize prostitution as well. We should be looking at what is in the best interests of the community, and many European countries have designated areas where you can engage in drugs and the sex trade.

If people are going to be doing hard drugs, or paying for sex, the Government should move it from residential areas, into a light industrial zone, far away from business and children. It's been proven that jailing people for vices makes the problem worse, in terms of disease and violent crime.

People will have vices. It's human nature. It's better to monitor places where they engage in such activities, and make the practices safer, than drive them underground, or into residential areas of the community.

I just fail to see the benefits of jailing someone for their vices. The Conservatives have such a knee jerk reaction to these issues, that it is somewhat concerning.

Last edited by Jets4Life; 10-07-2015 at 06:50 AM.
Jets4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:44 AM   #72
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with Eddly, the smell of pot is awful, gives me a headache, and seems to carry for blocks sometimes. But with the amount I drink I can't really trash it for any health reasons. I'm not against legalizing it as long as it's not allowed in public.

On the poll, I'll probably be voting conservative but wouldn't be too upset with a liberal win either. I dislike Harper and Trudeau about the same. Just no Mulcair please

Last edited by btimbit; 10-07-2015 at 06:50 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:06 AM   #73
eddly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampbellsTransgressions View Post
Regardless of whether or not people are being jailed for simple possession, the illegality of the substance is still providing cash for gangs. What could become a regulated and heavily taxed industry is instead a drain on our prison system and a loss of taxable earnings. Any capitalist should support the legalization of marijuana.

If it's only downside is the smell, it can be addressed with much more fair and less compromising laws.

As for what Trudeau considers to be the middle class, his platform makes a pattern of targeting the richest 1%. A common figure for middle class is less than $200,000:

https://www.liberal.ca/files/2015/10...ddle-class.pdf
Page 80.

The Liberals plan to have a balanced budget at the end of four years. Their deficit spending is intended to stimulate the economy to generate larger surpluses further down the line, as well as to provide much needed infrastructure throughout the country. For Calgary, this means the green line and flood mitigation infrastructure. Whether or not you agree with this is up to you.

They've never stated that the doubling of the TFSA and income splitting benefits only the rich, merely that they are strongly weighted towards the rich. I don't care for their reversal on the TFSA, but it's not enough of an election issue for me to sway to either side.

Your argument about the UCCB has me confused. Even if the rich are taxed at a higher bracket, they are still receiving money that they do not need when that money could be going to the people that need it significantly more.
Trudeau, by not defining the middle class, is leaving us to use our own definitions. The fact that there is a large percentage of the population who consider themselves middle class translates to a lot of people thinking they are not going to have to pay higher taxes. Convenient for the liberals. I have asked many people who follow the liberal party to define the middle class. Often they reply that it is obvious... and that it is anyone making between 40 to 80k... that certainly is off from your definition. That is combined family income too.

You have other points id like to address but i need to go to work.

Last edited by eddly; 10-07-2015 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:30 AM   #74
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:

I hate the smell of pot too, and have never smoked it. I still support legalization because prohibition causes more harm than good. Your posts made it seem you were fine keeping it illegal based purely on personal preference. To me, that's asinine.

I'm glad you fleshed out your opinion more in this post, but I still disagree with you. I would assume a Trudeau government would look to other jurisdictions where pot has been legalized successfully. I too would like to get the details, but this issue won't sway my vote either way.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:37 AM   #75
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The smell of pot may not be great, but nothing is more revolting than the smell of a drunk. Not even close.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:42 AM   #76
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Trudeau, by not defining the middle class, is leaving us to use our own definitions. The fact that there is a large percentage of the population who consider themselves middle class translates to a lot of people thinking they are not going to have to pay higher taxes. Convenient for the liberals. I have asked many people who follow the liberal party to define the middle class. Often they reply that it is obvious... and that it is anyone making between 40 to 80k... that certainly is off from your definition. That is combined family income too.

You have other points id like to address but i need to go to work.
Ummmm maybe I am reading what you are saying wrong, but here is a direct quote from the Liberal platform.

Quote:
We will give middle class Canadians a tax break, by making taxes more fair.
When middle class Canadians have more money in their pockets to save, invest, and grow the economy, we all benefit.

We will cut the middle income tax bracket to 20.5 percent from 22 percent – a seven percent reduction. Canadians with taxable annual income between $44,700 and $89,401 will see their income tax rate fall.

This tax relief is worth up to $670 per person, per year – or $1,340 for a two-income household.

To pay for this tax cut, we will ask the wealthiest one percent of Canadians to give a little more. We will introduce a new tax bracket of 33 percent for individuals earning more than $200,000 each year.
So looks like the middle class is between $44,700 and $89,401 since they get the tax break and no where does it say anything about combined income.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:29 AM   #77
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Welcome to CP - the bastion of tolerance, where anyone is attacked if they don't share the correct opinion of the collective left soft social justice warrior moral majority.
f you pal.

Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drak For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2015, 08:40 AM   #78
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We will cut the middle income tax bracket to 20.5 percent from 22 percent – a seven percent reduction.
I thought we had to call something like that a reduction of 1.5 points, not 7%, as it is very misleading.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
V
Old 10-07-2015, 08:45 AM   #79
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
And where the right-wing posters are so thin-skinned that they see challenges to their logic as attacks.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:00 AM   #80
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

From a criminal justice policy viewpoint, legalizing pot and funding mental health services are probably the two biggest no brainers out there.

The resources consumed in policing and prosecuting Marijuana are huge, particularly given the associated costs of gang activity. In BC, it probably takes about 1000 policing man hours just to bust a single grow op. Then it probably means those cops sitting around waiting for trial over 2 days, not to mention court and prosecutor costs. If the prosecution is successful it leads to possible jail costs as well as probation costs and the costs associated with bail breaches. There may also be costs associated with housing exhibits and dealing with litigation related to the return of seized equipment or civil damages if the prosecution is unsuccessful. All while criminal gangs make 10s or 100s of millions in profit while providing a product with no safety guarantees.

And there are probably about 70,000 grow ops in BC alone at any given time.

Legalization would offer significant employment in this province, curtail crime, and offer a multi billion dollar revenue swing for the government.

On the mental health side, so much is already spent policing, prosecuting, and jailing the mentally ill (not to mention the huge social cost of having untreated people committing crimes) that I'd bet proper treatment facilities would pay for themselves.

I wish the latter issue was getting some play this election.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post: