Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick your top five selection list
Ekblad-Reinhart-Draisaitl-Bennett-Dal Colle 44 8.21%
Ekblad-Reinhart-Draisaitl-Dal Colle-Bennett 7 1.31%
Ekblad-Reinhart-Bennett-Draisaitl-Dal Colle 118 22.01%
Ekblad-Reinhart-Bennett-Dal Colle-Draisaitl 56 10.45%
Ekblad-Draisaitl-Reinhart-Bennett-Dal Colle 7 1.31%
Ekblad-Draisaitl-Reinhart-Dal Colle-Bennett 4 0.75%
Ekblad-Bennett-Reinhart-Draisaitl-Dal Colle 21 3.92%
Ekblad-Bennett-Reinhart-Dal Colle-Draisaitl 10 1.87%
Ekblad-Bennett-Draisaitl-Reinhart-Dal Colle 22 4.10%
Ekblad-Bennett-Draisaitl-Dal Colle-Reinhart 4 0.75%
Reinhart-Ekblad-Draisaitl-Bennett-Dal Colle 27 5.04%
Reinhart-Ekblad-Draisaitl-Dal Colle-Bennett 9 1.68%
Reinhart-Ekblad-Bennett-Draisaitl-Dal Colle 85 15.86%
Reinhart-Ekblad-Bennett-Dal Colle-Draisaitl 41 7.65%
Reinhart-Ekblad-Dal Colle-Draisaitl-Bennett 4 0.75%
Reinhart-Ekblad-Dal Colle-Bennett-Draisaitl 2 0.37%
Reinhart-Draisaitl-Ekblad-Bennett-Dal Colle 2 0.37%
Reinhart-Draisaitl-Bennett-Ekblad-Dal Colle 1 0.19%
Reinhart-Draisaitl-Dal Colle-Ekblad-Bennett 2 0.37%
Reinhart-Bennett-Ekblad-Draisaitl-Dal Colle 19 3.54%
Reinhart-Bennett-Ekblad-Dal Colle-Draisaitl 8 1.49%
Reinhart-Bennett-Draisaitl-Ekblad-Dal Colle 9 1.68%
Bennett-Ekblad-Reinhart-Draisaitl-Dal Colle 12 2.24%
Bennett-Ekblad-Draisaitl-Reinhart-Dal Colle 2 0.37%
Bennett-Reinhart-Ekblad-Draisaitl-Dal Colle 5 0.93%
Bennett-Reinhart-Ekblad-Dal Colle-Draisaitl 6 1.12%
Bennett-Reinhart-Draisaitl-Ekblad-Dal Colle 4 0.75%
Bennett-Draisaitl-Ekblad-Reinhart-Dal Colle 1 0.19%
Bennett-Draisaitl-Ekblad-Dal Colle-Reinhart 1 0.19%
Bennett-Draisaitl-Reinhart-Ekblad-Dal Colle 3 0.56%
Voters: 536. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2014, 03:00 PM   #4341
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
I don't know a huge amount about Bennett aside from scouting reports published on cp from other sites/scouts, but it seems like a big part of his success stems from his physical play. Are there any concerns that he might not be able to have the same type of success in the NHL with this style of play, as he's only average size?

I know it sounds kind of silly based on his ranking through the year, but I always worry that when CHL kids are successful based partly on their physical play, they won't have the same success against bigger players.
As long as the team that takes him lets him build up strength it shouldn't be a big deal. One of the biggest and most devasting hitting forwards I've watched in my lifetime was 5'11 Mike Peca.
Flames Draft Watcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:11 PM   #4342
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of the top three forwards, I think Bennett has the best chance of going back to junior. This isn't a slight against him just that he needs to get stronger and bigger. He's also 7 or 8 mos. younger than the other two. If he gains 15lbs. over the summer as Monahan did, things could change though.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2014, 03:17 PM   #4343
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plus we have probably Reinhart/Granlund making the team out of camp. No reason to rush Bennett, as Treliving said "You only got one chance at developing a kid'
Old 05-01-2014, 03:22 PM   #4344
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Of the top three forwards, I think Bennett has the best chance of going back to junior. This isn't a slight against him just that he needs to get stronger and bigger. He's also 7 or 8 mos. younger than the other two. If he gains 15lbs. over the summer as Monahan did, things could change though.
Yep. And you wonder if that downgrades him for EDM. We know they love to play their high picks right away. Draisaitl's size makes him look a lot more NHL ready than Bennett so is that another reason why they might favour the thick German? Do they really have the patience to take Bennett and send him back when they desperately need a big 2nd line centre right away? Bennett is a driving, competitive player which they do need but his average size does nothing to help their huge need to add size/strength on the top two lines. In some ways Draisaitl and Dal Colle fit their needs the most. Unless MacT thinks he can add size through trade/free agency they may see size/strength as the tiebreaker at the top end which may push Draisaitl/Dal Colle further up their list.

Can't friggin wait for this draft.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2014, 03:28 PM   #4345
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't mind Bennett potentially going back for a year if we draft him. Let's see what we've got in our Abbotsford ranks whose contracts will be soon expiring and should be pushing to be on the big team roster. Plenty to see out of Sven, Gaudreau, Granlund, Poirier and Reinhart. Bennett can wait. Also, he only had his big "breakout" season in junior this year, and it would be interesting to see how much he can build on it with another year.

That being said, if he bulked up and works like mad at camp, who knows.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:38 PM   #4346
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

A couple reasons why EDM can't have as much patience as we can with this pick.

1) EDM just doesn't have as much coming up as forwards as the Flames do. The Flames have guys like Baertschi, Granlund, Poirier, Gaudreau, (Ferland?) who may step in shortly as top two line forwards. Does EDM have anybody ready to step in there? We also have Reinhart, Arnold, Hanowski, Agostino, Knight, (Ferland?) who may step in shortly as bottom two line forwards.

2) More pressure is on EDM to be competitive sooner. The Flames can suck next year and it won't be a huge problem but EDM really needs to start to turn things around next year. Way more pressure on them

Both these reasons combine to form much more pressure to draft someone this year who can step in and make an immediate difference. So NHL readiness may play a larger role than they would like it to. The Flames can easily afford to take whoever they like and be patient with him. The Oilers almost need this year's pick to pull a Monahan and step in right away. Draisaitl/Dal Colle may be more NHL ready than either Sam. Reinhart is almost an RNH clone and doesn't bring that size they badly need. Very interesting pressure there on EDM and it may be the tiebreaker in what looks like almost a dead heat amongst those top end forwards.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:38 PM   #4347
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Does no one else feel like Ritchie could go as early as the Oilers' pick?
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:40 PM   #4348
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Doubtful. If they go for size it seems everybody prefers Draisaitl/Dal Colle. If the Oilers want Ritchie they should probably deal down 1-2 spots to do it.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:46 PM   #4349
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

But is Reinhart really that small.. he's 6'1. As opposed to Dal Colle and Draisaitl who are 6'2. Draisaitl is considered big mostly due to his larger frame. Whereas the other two have slimmer builds and will need to bulk up. But they're not shrimps, either.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:47 PM   #4350
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Nah... They are at least actually smart enough to draft Bennett or Draisaitl.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:13 PM   #4351
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
A couple reasons why EDM can't have as much patience as we can with this pick.

1) EDM just doesn't have as much coming up as forwards as the Flames do. The Flames have guys like Baertschi, Granlund, Poirier, Gaudreau, (Ferland?) who may step in shortly as top two line forwards. Does EDM have anybody ready to step in there? We also have Reinhart, Arnold, Hanowski, Agostino, Knight, (Ferland?) who may step in shortly as bottom two line forwards.

2) More pressure is on EDM to be competitive sooner. The Flames can suck next year and it won't be a huge problem but EDM really needs to start to turn things around next year. Way more pressure on them

Both these reasons combine to form much more pressure to draft someone this year who can step in and make an immediate difference. So NHL readiness may play a larger role than they would like it to. The Flames can easily afford to take whoever they like and be patient with him. The Oilers almost need this year's pick to pull a Monahan and step in right away. Draisaitl/Dal Colle may be more NHL ready than either Sam. Reinhart is almost an RNH clone and doesn't bring that size they badly need. Very interesting pressure there on EDM and it may be the tiebreaker in what looks like almost a dead heat amongst those top end forwards.
The last thing the Oilers need is another guy rushed into the NHL. Monahan had a good rookie season but he still played like a rookie. Sheltered minutes, and one of the worst plus/minues on his team. That won't help the Oilers get better. They already have enough young guys making mistakes.

The Oilers will need forwards on cheap contracts in 2-3 seasons if they are improving. Having a blue chip prospect that can step in an outperform his contract in a couple of seasons would help them a lot. That means the Oilers should pick the best player available whether he will take longer or not.

If Edmonton can't have patience with the pick then they should trade it. But lets be honest. There is no pressure on the Oilers to improve quickly because Katz won't fire Lowe or Mactavish so they can do whatever they believe is best for the long term.

Last edited by Oil Stain; 05-01-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:30 PM   #4352
Stupid
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
. There is no pressure on the Oilers to improve quickly
Sig'd

I agree with most of the rest of your post but this one is a gem...
Stupid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stupid For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2014, 04:43 PM   #4353
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Is it me, or has the RW depth in drafts dropped significantly? I start to see LW and C's more then RWers nowadays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
It's like the opposite of the 80's/90's where Luc Robitaille seemed to be the only good LW.
I've been wondering the same thing. Is the glut of high-end LW prospects in the last few years just a statistical anomaly, or has something changed in the game to make LW more of the skilled position than RW? Because high-end RWers used to outnumber high-end LWers by at least 2:1.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:09 PM   #4354
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I've been wondering the same thing. Is the glut of high-end LW prospects in the last few years just a statistical anomaly, or has something changed in the game to make LW more of the skilled position than RW? Because high-end RWers used to outnumber high-end LWers by at least 2:1.
Most people are right handed and most of those Canadians shoot left. It's just a matter of the numbers game. I've heard that right handed Americans often shoot right, maybe because they first thing they pick up is a baseball bat.

Maybe the lack of skilled LWs 20 years ago was more due to LWs being asked to take the defensive responsibilities as in the left wing lock (Bob Gainey). Nowadays the centre is asked to take the defensive responsibilities, so we don't see small centres as much anymore and allowing the LW to get more offensively involved.

Last edited by Vulcan; 05-01-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2014, 05:52 PM   #4355
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That is an extremely debateable statement. Not sure the scouts see it that way. Very different type of offensive players and I'm not sure I see any of them having a huge edge on the other two offensively.
I'm talking the raw tools, not how they are used (that's why I'd take Reinhart). Based on raw tools, Ovechkin is one of the top players in the league, where Toews is not nearly as dynamic. Yet I'd take Toews every time.

My opinions are based entirely off my own viewings of the players not scouts so it would make sense that some of my thoughts might be well off other people's viewings.

MDC gets in the dirty areas and generates offense that way. Reinhart utilizes his on ice awareness to create plays. Different approaches, similar results.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca

Last edited by Caged Great; 05-01-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Caged Great is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:33 PM   #4356
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid View Post
Sig'd

Thats pretty stupid cherry pick Stupid!
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:22 PM   #4357
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid View Post
Sig'd

I dont really disagree with his statement. Who is holding the Oilers accountable? The ownership sure as hell isn't, or Lowe and the old boys club would have been gone years ago. The players aren't, we see that on the ice on a regular basis. The fans sure as hell don't. They have been chugging and bathing in that koolaid for years and years now. Even the media is starting to abandon the hype train.

Nobody expects the Oilers to get any better any time soon at this point.

It's sad, but it's true.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:56 PM   #4358
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
As long as the team that takes him lets him build up strength it shouldn't be a big deal. One of the biggest and most devasting hitting forwards I've watched in my lifetime was 5'11 Mike Peca.
And Peca was rather injury prone as a consequence....
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick M. For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2014, 09:19 PM   #4359
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
And Peca was rather injury prone as a consequence....
But still, if someone told me Bennett would have an identical career to Peca I'd take him in a second.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2014, 09:31 PM   #4360
Stupid
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
I dont really disagree with his statement. Who is holding the Oilers accountable? The ownership sure as hell isn't, or Lowe and the old boys club would have been gone years ago. The players aren't, we see that on the ice on a regular basis. The fans sure as hell don't. They have been chugging and bathing in that koolaid for years and years now. Even the media is starting to abandon the hype train.

Nobody expects the Oilers to get any better any time soon at this point.

It's sad, but it's true.
Hey I don't expect them to get better. But you just cannot be in this business without pressure.

All joking aside, nobody actually believes Edmonton is fine being this mediocre (being generous), not their fans, not their management, not their ownership, and certainly not their sponsors. The fact that they fail to repair the situation is not the same as not wanting to fix it. If you feel no pressure to fix the situation you're a step further away from fixing it.
Stupid is offline   Reply With Quote