Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2010, 12:18 PM   #21
Dagger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Hes a striker who cant finish. Figure something out. Get money to replace him. Hes not going to help win games.
He's 21 ffs. He played well in most matches he made an appearance.

And where does this money come from again?

He isn't? You mean that dive against Birmingham didn't salvage a point, not mention I believe he scored the goal earlier on? His finish against United didn't seal the deal?

So, you're idea is to sell Ngog, along with most of the other youngsters linked away from the club such as Ayala, Nemeth, and Pacheco?

Real smart.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:29 PM   #22
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger View Post
He's 21 ffs. He played well in most matches he made an appearance.

And where does this money come from again?

He isn't? You mean that dive against Birmingham didn't salvage a point, not mention I believe he scored the goal earlier on? His finish against United didn't seal the deal?

So, you're idea is to sell Ngog, along with most of the other youngsters linked away from the club such as Ayala, Nemeth, and Pacheco?

Real smart.
I never said anything about the other kids. I said I dont like Ngog.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #23
Dagger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I never said anything about the other kids. I said I dont like Ngog.
I mentioned the other kids to illustrate how little young talent we'd have for next year.

Selling Ngog would be incredibly idiotic.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:27 PM   #24
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger View Post
I mentioned the other kids to illustrate how little young talent we'd have for next year.

Selling Ngog would be incredibly idiotic.
Only because right now we need him. Doesnt mean I have to like it or be happy about it. Rather, I'm upset to be in the position where we do need him.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-16-2010, 12:16 AM   #25
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Liverpool kicking off their pre-season preparations against Saudi Arabia Champions Al-Hilal tomorrow! The match is being played in Austria at an 8500 capacity stadium!

Pre-season or not it's a fresh start for the Reds after last seasons debacle!
Old 07-16-2010, 12:19 AM   #26
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

I see that the bookies still have Liverpool in the Joe Cole stakes. I'd really doubt if he signs for the Reds though. I simply cannot see him leaving London. Spurs have to be the favourites to get him.

He'd be a solid signing though if it did somehow come off.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:24 AM   #27
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagger View Post
I see that the bookies still have Liverpool in the Joe Cole stakes. I'd really doubt if he signs for the Reds though. I simply cannot see him leaving London. Spurs have to be the favourites to get him.

He'd be a solid signing though if it did somehow come off.
Cole would allow us to turf Riera. I liked Riera when he first came in and I still think he has potential, but his attitude has to be better, it might come around because of the new manager, I think he and Rafa didnt get along, but he may have soured any possible relationship with his teammates.

That being said, Cole is probably too much money for too much injury, its like signing a talented Owen Hargreaves.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:21 AM   #28
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Cole would allow us to turf Riera. I liked Riera when he first came in and I still think he has potential, but his attitude has to be better, it might come around because of the new manager, I think he and Rafa didnt get along, but he may have soured any possible relationship with his teammates.

That being said, Cole is probably too much money for too much injury, its like signing a talented Owen Hargreaves.
Yep, that's my slight worry with him too. I'm just really excited about the possibility of having a midfield that consists of him and Modric.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:42 AM   #29
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

the thing with Cole though is that he is on a free, and if he were being transfered from a club he probly goes for close to 20m

he is definitely a cheap option, an oft injured one, but you rarely will get a player of his skill on a free

I do think he stays in London though as Jagger said, so I think its between Arsenal and Spurs
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:49 AM   #30
NBC
Account closed at user's request.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
the thing with Cole though is that he is on a free, and if he were being transfered from a club he probly goes for close to 20m

he is definitely a cheap option, an oft injured one, but you rarely will get a player of his skill on a free

I do think he stays in London though as Jagger said, so I think its between Arsenal and Spurs
The real issue here are Cole's wage demands. He's apparently looking for £120 000/wk which is in the Gerrard/Rooney/Terry class. We all know Wenger's strict wage structure at Arsenal and I personally think that this is too rich for medium-sized, mid-table team like Spurs to afford.

Intangibles will come into play here. The chance of football in Europe, previous relationships, potential for silverware, etc. He's stated that he wants to stay in London, so maybe he will drop his wage demands to the £80 000/wk range which would be more attractive to the London-based clubs.

Last edited by NBC; 07-16-2010 at 10:52 AM.
NBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #31
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Fair enough. But I also think hes overrated. Everyone knows the left flank is harder to work on, but Cole is goddamned predictable.

Stepover, stepover, goes left. Every. Single. Time.

He could go to Liverpool though, hes got England teammates there in Stevie and Carra. I just dont know if I'm sold on wanting him.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:13 PM   #32
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fair enough. But I also think hes overrated. Everyone knows the left flank is harder to work on, but Cole is goddamned predictable.

Stepover, stepover, goes left. Every. Single. Time.

He could go to Liverpool though, hes got England teammates there in Stevie and Carra. I just dont know if I'm sold on wanting him.
haha, it does seem to work for him though
Old 07-16-2010, 01:45 PM   #33
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBC View Post
and I personally think that this is too rich for medium-sized, mid-table team like Spurs to afford.

That might get a reaction!
Old 07-16-2010, 02:05 PM   #34
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagger View Post

That might get a reaction!
Yeah, no kidding, Tottenham's at least been spending money the last few seasons.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #35
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

no need for a reaction, Spurs have and are willing to spend more money than Arsenal

and I guess you learn something new every day, 4th is now mid table
Old 07-16-2010, 02:59 PM   #36
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
no need for a reaction, Spurs have and are willing to spend more money than Arsenal

Hah! We went from 2nd to 7th in one season, trust me, the middle of that table comes at you fast!

Old 07-16-2010, 03:14 PM   #37
NBC
Account closed at user's request.

Exp:

Quote:

Position of Spurs per EPL season:

1992–93 - 8th
1993–94 - 15th
1994–95 - 7th
1995–96 - 8th
1996–97 - 10th
1997–98 - 14th
1998–99 - 11th
1999–00 - 10th
2000–01 - 12th
2001–02 - 9th
2002–03 - 10th
2003–04 - 14th
2004–05 - 9th
2005–06 - 5th
2006–07 - 5th
2007–08 - 11th
2008–09 - 8th
2009–10 - 4th

Average position over the history of the Premiership - 9th.

Sounds pretty much like mid-table to me.
NBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:35 PM   #38
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dallas Stars for sale, possibly to Calgary Billionaire

Quote:
After two seasons of missing the playoffs and pinching pennies under cash-strapped owner Tom Hicks, things are beginning to look up for the Dallas Stars.

That’s enormously good news for the Stars, who were once one of the NHL’s biggest spenders and revenue producers and were also a perennial contender. Ever since Hicks encountered a world of financial hurt, the Stars have been hurting, too. Their defense corps combined barely made more than Nicklas Lidstrom did all by himself last season.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...llionaire.html

Sound familiar? Punt this idiot off the face of the earth.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:54 PM   #39
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Torres and Gerrard not for Sale.

Quote:
"I have met with Fernando. I found him to be a very pleasant man and we had a nice conversation," Hodgson told reporters.

"As far as we are concerned he is a Liverpool player and we want him to remain a Liverpool player. He is not for sale and we don't welcome any offers for him.

It is a similar situation for captain Steven Gerrard, who has been linked with a possible move to Jose Mourinho's Real Madrid over the summer.

"What we haven't had is a club wanting to buy Steven Gerrard. Steven Gerrard is not for sale - I made that clear to him. I told him I supported the club's policy that we don't want to sell our best players and have to start building again.''
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...nsfers&cc=5901

Reassuring words, but still, just words, in Soccer, everyone is for sale, saying anything to the contrary just means that the right opportunity hasnt yet presented itself.

Nice's in-demand striker Loic Remy claims he has the choice of joining Liverpool or Tottenham Hotspur this summer.

Quote:
"It will be a choice between two clubs with big futures," Remy told AFP. "I have a slight preference for a prestige club like Liverpool, even though Tottenham are also very, very interesting.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...nsfers&cc=5901

This might just be the big FU to David Ngog.

Also, in Europa League action:
Quote:
Liverpool will play Macedonian side Rabotnicki or Mika of Armenia in the third qualifying round of the Europa League.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...league&cc=5901

Yeah. Europa league. Yeah....

Old 07-17-2010, 12:31 PM   #40
Dagger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So....Insua has been sold for 5MP to Fiorentina.

Excellent Cecil. You not only sold a promising young player for under market price, you've managed to do that at a position we have no other players at as well as sold a player who counts as homegrown.

Join SOS people.

Tags
gerrard , ynwa