Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2010, 09:04 AM   #1
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The Official 10/11 Liverpool F.C. Thread

Time for the new thread I think. Everything else is new and the team for next season is in a constant state of flux, so time for the new thread:

New manager - Roy Hodgson
New sponsor - Standard Chartered (No more Carlsberg...)
New players - Jovanovic in, Yossi and likely Masch out
New world cup Champions - Dirk Kuyt and Ryan Babel.....I mean Torres and Reina
New transfer rumours - Torres to Chelsea of $55M

Same old Injuries....

Quote:
Torres, who picked up a World Cup winners' medal following Spain's 1-0 victory against Netherlands on Sunday night, pulled up in extra-time clutching his hamstring and is expected to miss the first month of the domestic season.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...nsfers&cc=5901

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
Dagger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dagger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2010, 02:49 PM   #3
09IGGYfan
Draft Pick

Update on Nando's injury
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/lates...njury-update-1

nd dont know if any of you have seen the pics of Torres with Liverpool scarf around his neck in post-match celebrations but here are a couple pics

nd this on on pitch haha I say he's defo stayinnnn

His Armband proved he was a Red. Torres! Torres!
09IGGYfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #4
Dagger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Pepe gave him the scarf after the match. What a lad Pepe is.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
09IGGYfan
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger View Post
Pepe gave him the scarf after the match. What a lad Pepe is.
God, I love Pepe...lol

nd speaking of, here's him, upto his old antics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLMedpU9bA4
09IGGYfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks for the new topic Locke. Lond as you're on this board, I'm not starting it.

Pepe is simply awesome.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:32 AM   #7
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Torres' Injury potentially not as bad as first thought:

Quote:
"We've been in touch with the Spanish medical team and they don't think it's too serious," Brukner said. "It's an adductor muscle injury but they've not had a chance to assess it today.

"Fernando will have a proper assessment and probably a scan tomorrow and some of the Liverpool medical staff will go to Madrid later in the week to fully assess the injury and organise his rehab.

"At this stage we don't think it's too serious. We can't say too much more at the moment until it is properly assessed."
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...ngland&cc=5901

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-13-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
ipuckedyourmom
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Interested to see how everything plays out with Torres. Hopefully he can get back to full health because I think we can all agree he was anything but healthy at the World Cup.
ipuckedyourmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:21 PM   #9
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks for starting the thread. I'm feeling much more positive for this season regardless of the fact that the muppets still own the team.

Nice that they finally have another decent striker too especially since Torres has injury concerns still. The only good thing is that his latest setback *may* make the likes of the Chavs back off.

It's going to be very interesting to see what Roy does too.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:47 PM   #10
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As far as the new sponsor, I will continue to rock my Carlsberg shirt up until Statler and Waldorf are gone.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:52 PM   #11
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Here's a few videos of our new No. 10, Milan Jovanovic:

and one just for Locke:

Old 07-14-2010, 09:03 AM   #12
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

As long he scores for Liverpool, Germany can take care of themselves.

However, if I'm Roy, I take a long hard look at acquiring Schweinsteiger. Thats a midfield boss that Liverpool have been missing because Stevie is too busy scoring all the goals that no one else can.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:09 AM   #13
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is disappointing that this forum is censored. Otherwise, this post would be an expletive filled tirade....

Quote:
'Grade one' indicates the injury is the least severe rupture, but it is understood there is little prospect of Torres returning to action before the new season gets underway.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...ngland&cc=5901

The article is a good read though.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:33 AM   #14
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

no more carlsberg

Torres better stay with them
flamesfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:20 AM   #15
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really dislike the way Mascherano is dealing with the situation right now, I have a lot of respect for the guy, but he just seems to be throwing the club under the bus.

I have a lot of confidence that Torres and Gerrard stay, but I think for the club to show they're serious they've got to buy someone, and someone big. I like the addition of Jovanovic, but you're not going to get very far on these free transfers.

If Hicks or Gillette could find their asses with both hands they'd know that the players are in many ways a huge part of the value of the club, so you do what you have to to keep the stars here and sell shirts with their names on them, plus it helps the club maintain value making it easier to sell.

Got to spend money to make money, and right now, you're being outspent. I still have faith that Liverpool can crack the top 4 again this season, and for all their cash Tottenham and City dont have players of the caliber of Stevie or Torres, but these guys need some help.

If nothing else, they can focus on the league now instead of worrying about the strenuous Champions League. At the moment, I dont feel they have the depth to compete in all of those various high level competitions. Something I think Spurs are going to find out.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:33 AM   #16
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

It seems inevitable that Mascherano will be going to Inter this coming season, hopefully a really good player will come back as exchange (ie Sneijder? Eto'o?) Too much wishful thinking?

Or at least get a ton of cash back to use on some new players. Rafa is known to overspend on players....
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:40 AM   #17
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
It seems inevitable that Mascherano will be going to Inter this coming season, hopefully a really good player will come back as exchange (ie Sneijder? Eto'o?) Too much wishful thinking?

Or at least get a ton of cash back to use on some new players. Rafa is known to overspend on players....
Masch is gone, I cant see him staying after the way hes handled himself, and that unfortunate.

I dont foresee any players coming back in a swap, and Sneijder is a pipe dream. If that were even an option I'd be off to Liverpool immediately to drive Masch to the airport and put his ass on a plane personally.

Eto'o? Possible. They've supposedly been looking for somewhere to unload him. But frankly, based on the situation of having Benitez in Milan, selling/buying/trading with his old club, I'd rather just take the cash and move along, even though they've got some excellent players and are the European Champs. The situation just isnt good, and theres the prospect of overpaying which Inter can afford to do but Liverpool cant.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:55 AM   #18
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

West Brom boss Roberto Di Matteo has confirmed his interest in Liverpool striker David Ngog.

Quote:
Di Matteo is thought to have enquired about taking the young Frenchman on a season-long loan as he looks to bolster his attacking options.
Ngog enjoyed his best season for Liverpool last term, featuring in 37 matches in all competitions and he scored eight goals.
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...261189,00.html

Have him. I've wanted nothing more to do with him after last season and that horrific dive to tie that game. Not to mention the number of absolute sitters he manages to squander.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:53 AM   #19
Dagger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Why would you want Ngog gone? Who have we got to cover for him? Aside from finishing not being there yet(which will improve in time) Ngog was good for us.

We have no money to replace him. Nemeth probably will be sold this summer, Pacheco isn't a striker, Jovanovic will be used on the flank.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #20
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger View Post
Why would you want Ngog gone? Who have we got to cover for him? Aside from finishing not being there yet(which will improve in time) Ngog was good for us.

We have no money to replace him. Nemeth probably will be sold this summer, Pacheco isn't a striker, Jovanovic will be used on the flank.
Hes a striker who cant finish. Figure something out. Get money to replace him. Hes not going to help win games.

Tags
gerrard , ynwa