Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2009, 12:07 PM   #21
KTown
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hopefully the gunners can stay healthy this year. First priority for the gunners starts early with Champions league play
KTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:11 PM   #22
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Whoooa-ooh-ooohh...we've got the best midfield in the world.
We've got Ma-ascherano
Lucas he's so-so
Gerrard, then I don't know....

Well, depends what we do with Madrid's money once this one goes through.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:18 PM   #23
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I'll have to go and burn my Micheal Owen jersey....

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:21 PM   #24
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think I'll have to record it in 1080p.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #25
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, with the signing of Aquilani, who many seem to have high hopes for, Liverpool also extended Striker Daniel Pacheco, he played mostly with the reserves last season but could be in for some first team time this season.

Liverpool really needs the depth for all competitions as well as to maintain consistency in the league, so I think this was a good signing.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:46 AM   #26
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Torres signs new deal improving salary. Nothing major, just gets more money and Liverpool gets the option to sign him for a further year if they wish (I imagine they would!).

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...490131,00.html
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:26 PM   #27
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
Torres signs new deal improving salary. Nothing major, just gets more money and Liverpool gets the option to sign him for a further year if they wish (I imagine they would!).

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...490131,00.html
Eeeexcellent!!
Old 08-14-2009, 11:55 PM   #28
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

On the eve of the new season I just want to say................................

THIS......................IS...................... .....THE..............................YEAR!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

COME ON YOU MIGHTY REDS!!!!!

YNWA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-14-2009, 11:56 PM   #29
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
So, with the signing of Aquilani, who many seem to have high hopes for, Liverpool also extended Striker Daniel Pacheco, he played mostly with the reserves last season but could be in for some first team time this season.

Liverpool really needs the depth for all competitions as well as to maintain consistency in the league, so I think this was a good signing.
Aquilani's contract is wheelchair-included you know

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:30 AM   #30
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Aquilani's contract is wheelchair-included you know
So he'll roll on....roll on...with-
ok I'll stop.

31 and a half hours until kickoff!!! Come on you reds!!!!!!!....and any Calgarians, as usual, encourage you all to hit up our spot. Open every game!!....even 5am kickoffs.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:01 AM   #31
The Special One
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What a terrible start to the season for us. Benitez must go. Liverpool play boring football. The players have no idea what is going on out there in the first half. The two American owners and the ridiculous manager Rafa are killing this team.

Who do we have on the bench to come on and make a difference in the second half? Benayoun is the only one. Dossena, Voronin, Diego, Jay Spearing, Martin Kelly, and Daniel Sanchez Ayala are the other subs. Do any of you even know who the last three on that list are and what positions they can play? This is why we have no hope of winning the league this year. Take a look at Arsenal, Manchester City and Chelsea yesterday. They are bringing on top quality subs like Ballack, Tevez, Giggs, and Owen off the bench for the second half. The lack of quality in depth is what is going to kill us as the season goes on and we pick up injuries and players accumulate yellow cards. I'd even argue that Spurs have a far superior bench in today's game, with the like of Bentley, Crouch and Pavlyuchenko ready to come into the match.

Another second-rate year for Liverpool begins today. We're already behind Arsenal, Manchester City, Manchester United, and Chelsea. They are not going to give up many points away to the likes of Spurs. I honestly hope that we don't win a match this season so that we can get a real manager in to take care of things. There is no excuse - we spend just as much money as all of the other large clubs in England.
The Special One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:24 AM   #32
The Special One
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Terrible goalkeeping by Reina on the second Spurs goal. Very poor positioning. Carragher should have been subbed off at half time. Terrible man marking.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #33
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special One View Post

Another second-rate year for Liverpool begins today. We're already behind Arsenal, Manchester City, Manchester United, and Chelsea. They are not going to give up many points away to the likes of Spurs. I honestly hope that we don't win a match this season so that we can get a real manager in to take care of things. There is no excuse - we spend just as much money as all of the other large clubs in England.
Now that's what I call a real 'special' supporter. Nice one mate. You're a real pleasure to have around.

That said, it was a really poor performance. No drive, no passion. Benayoun should have been on from the start without question. Babel still looks so lost out there. Reina had a belter. It's probably 3-0 without him at HT. That first half was the worst performance I've seen from a Liverpool team in a long time.

On a positive note, being the old geezer that I am, I recall many seasons when Liverpool started the season very slowly and went on to win the league. 'Course that was quite a long time ago! Let's see how they do against Stoke.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:16 AM   #34
The Special One
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

There's no coming back from a performance like that. The season is over for us already. We only lost twice last season, combined with beating Manchester United home and away, and we still didn't win the Premiership. Losing away to the likes of Spurs on opening day doesn't bode well for our chances at all.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:19 AM   #35
The Special One
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagger View Post
Now that's what I call a real 'special' supporter. Nice one mate. You're a real pleasure to have around.

That said, it was a really poor performance. No drive, no passion. Benayoun should have been on from the start without question. Babel still looks so lost out there. Reina had a belter. It's probably 3-0 without him at HT. That first half was the worst performance I've seen from a Liverpool team in a long time.

On a positive note, being the old geezer that I am, I recall many seasons when Liverpool started the season very slowly and went on to win the league. 'Course that was quite a long time ago! Let's see how they do against Stoke.
Back when there were 24 teams in the old First Division and you played 46 matches, combined with the fact that a win was only worth two points instead of three. Now we play eight less matches and a win is worth three points instead of two, so there is far less room for error. Liverpool will not contend for the title this year no matter how well the play from here on out. The winning team can only afford to drop around twenty five to thirty points the whole season - keep in mind that a draw equals two points dropped. We've already dropped three.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:27 AM   #36
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special One View Post
Back when there were 24 teams in the old First Division and you played 46 matches, combined with the fact that a win was only worth two points instead of three. Now we play eight less matches and a win is worth three points instead of two, so there is far less room for error. Liverpool will not contend for the title this year no matter how well the play from here on out. The winning team can only afford to drop around twenty five to thirty points the whole season - keep in mind that a draw equals two points dropped. We've already dropped three.
22 actually.

They last won the title in 1990 when there were 20 teams in the top flight and three points for a win. They lost 5 games that season too.

You're not much of a Liverpool fan with your comments so far, if you're even one at all.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:29 AM   #37
The Special One
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So what, I'm not a Liverpool fan because I don't blindly support American colonial ownership and a manager that is the joke of the league? If you were any kind of a real supporter, you'd be speaking out against this type of thing as well instead of just cheering along like a drunken idiot as the team gets washed down the drain.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:32 AM   #38
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

^^^^ [ignore]
Old 08-16-2009, 11:35 AM   #39
The Special One
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah, that's very mature. When someone posts something that you disagree with, you dismiss me and put me on ignore. What are you, twelve years old? I never made any personal attacks or posted anything of that nature. I'm simply stating the facts about my football team. When the Calgary Flames were sucking it up in the late 90s/early 2000s I spoke out against the management of the franchise. That didn't make me any less of a fan - in fact, I would argue that it made me more of a fan because I cared enough to take the beer goggles off and try to address the real issues.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:30 PM   #40
ShotDownInFlames12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The good :

Glen Johnson looked excellent today. I was really impressed with him throughout the whole match.

Pepe Reina made some huge saves to bail out some seriously dodgy defending.

Benayoun how he didn't start this game, I have no idea. He was constantly looking to make plays happen. With Alonso gone, I would like him to step up and take his place. His pace, his passing were what kept Liverpool in it at the end.

The bad:

Our midfield and defence. Spurs dominated play in the first half, and Liverpool couldn't push the ball forward if their lives depended on it. When Skrtel and Carra went down, they should have been subbed, or at least one of them. Carras marking on the second goal, should have been a lot tighter although Johnson (despite what I mentioned above) is partly to blame.

Ryan Babel - why was he even on the pitch. I've defended him saying all he needs is more time and he will be solid for us. I really hope Benayoun has played him out of his spot. Lucas even played better than this guy. Terrible

Torres going down every touch. It won us maybe 2 free kicks, and was just embarrassing. Stay on your feet, and you can be one of the best strikers in the world.

The non penalty call. I'm never one to criticize the refs, but that was horrible. He made no attempt to play the ball, he just ran right into him knocking him down. He didn't go down easy, it was a legitimate penalty. We've had enough good calls that did go our way on borderline calls/penalties that I'm not going to complain to much.

Anyways, forget about it. Still lots of games, Man U didn't win their opening game last year and look where it got them. Im thinking that with all our injuries, a purchase or two must be on Rafa's mind. Having Voronin has your third striker from the bench is scary and no back up centre backs or midfielders really is a scary situation.
ShotDownInFlames12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ShotDownInFlames12 For This Useful Post:

Tags
carra , gerrard , masch , torres , ynwa