Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #1
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The Official 12/13 Liverpool F.C. Thread

I start the Liverpool centric thread so as not to clutter up the EPL thread with too much exclusively Liverpool news and opinion.

Once again, a new season, a new manager, some new faces and a new philosophy.

Come on Brendan, third time's the charm!

Current news and rumours:

We're in the Champion's League for sure now!

Quote:
Jonjo Shelvey has signed a new long-term contract at Liverpool and is now looking to earn a regular role under Brendan Rodgers.
http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...-new-Reds-deal

That being said, Shelvey is very much a player that would thrive under Rodgers' philosophy I think, so it may very well pan out to be a good thing to keep him around.

Rodgers keen on Borini:

Quote:
Reds boss Brendan Rodgers revealed on Monday that he was close to completing one piece of transfer business, and Borini was said to be the man in his sights.
http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...keen-on-Borini

Although, the great, all-knowing wikipedia was less enthused as noted in the EPL thread.

Not so enthused with Carroll?

Quote:
Liverpool could send £35 million striker Andy Carroll out on loan for the coming season, manager Brendan Rodgers has admitted.

Carroll, signed from Newcastle by previous manager Kenny Dalglish, has struggled to convince for much of his 18 months at Anfield, and doubts have been expressed about whether he would fit into Rodgers's style of football.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...n-loan?cc=5901

This doesnt really come as too much of a surprise, but I also think hes being a little quick to dismiss Carroll. While thumping the ball into the box or upfield isnt Rodgers' preferred style, Carroll could still be useful for the finishing touch.

It could be a simple matter of him needing some time to play elsewhere and really round his game out a little.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

A loan for Carroll doesn't make much sense to me. Rodgers has said plenty of times that he loves working with players, and also that he needs time to teach them how to play the game his way. If he sees a future for Carroll on this team then I would think that he would much rather have him here under his own tutelage then off somewhere else for a year. Plus, there is plenty of playing time to be had since we hardly have any strikers at all right now even including Andy.

I think either this is a way for Rodgers to tell other teams that he is available for sale, or a way to light a fire under Carroll and make him fight for a place in the team. I think the latter is much more likely, and it appears to be working.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...n-Rodgers.html

If he does loan him out then I think it is simply in hope of him having a good season elsewhere and driving his price up.

I have to say, I really like everything Rodgers has said and done so far. If you have some time to kill at work or something, this is a great interview where he outlines some of his plans.

The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You guys left out the most important piece of news all offseason - they are changing the 'This is Anfield' sign in the tunnel back to one from the 70's.

TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Rodgers has definitely been embracing the history of the club and its fans in his short time in charge. Hopefully he can bring some success on the pitch as well.

It sounds like the Fabio Borini transfer in very close to getting wrapped up. If he does end up signing I think it will be a good thing. He has shown to be a good finisher and should provide us with some extra options up front.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heres an ultimate stupid question:

What now with Aquilani?

I know, I know, everyone is getting tired of this guy. But if Rodgers wants to play the style that he wants, isnt Aquilani finally a good fit?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-11-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Heres an ultimate stupid question:

What now with Aquilani?

I know, I know, everyone is getting tired of this guy. But if Rodgers wants to play the style that he wants, isnt Aquilani finally a good fit?
Aquilani is a good player if he gets a shot, his injury problems have just set back his career.

Liverpool really has nothing to lose as if Aquilani can stay healthy and get back to his previous form the potential is there to be a world class midfielder.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Aquilani is a good player if he gets a shot, his injury problems have just set back his career.

Liverpool really has nothing to lose as if Aquilani can stay healthy and get back to his previous form the potential is there to be a world class midfielder.
I'm thinking along the same lines, but how he has been handled in my opinion has been very poor, as has his attitude towards Liverpool.

Quite honestly it feels like he and Liverpool FC have been jerking each other around a bit and I dont know what the state of that relationship currently is.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #8
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Nobody seems to want Aquilani. AC Mailan could have picked him up on the cheap and they chose to pass. He looks like a good player, but he must have a poor attitude or is lazy in training or something. Either way, I hope he either gets a shot to play some real minutes or gets shown the door for good.

I haven't seen him in any of the photos from training sessions yet, so I don't know if he has even returned with the rest of the team.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #9
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

..and just as I say that

http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...ying-with-Reds

Things could change if a suitable offer comes along, but it looks like he is a red for now.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #10
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Liverpool forums are saying that Fabio Borini and Clint Dempsey deals are both done.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #11
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a fan of Clint Dempsey. Borini is an unknown to me, but I think this club needs better than Dempsey.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #12
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Not a fan of Clint Dempsey. Borini is an unknown to me, but I think this club needs better than Dempsey.
Borini is a goal poacher. Young, smart movement and a great work rate. Has also played under Rodgers at both Chelsea and Swansea. Most of his goals are scored on tap ins.

I dont mind Dempsey for his versatility and because he is a pain to play against.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #13
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
Borini is a goal poacher. Young, smart movement and a great work rate. Has also played under Rodgers at both Chelsea and Swansea. Most of his goals are scored on tap ins.

I dont mind Dempsey for his versatility and because he is a pain to play against.
On Borini, that sounds like quite an ideal guy to have when you've got Suarez. Definitely luke-warm on Dempsey.

Some words from our new manager
"It's going to take time. And whether it will be in my time, I'm not so sure. But I'm going to fight for my life to try to get this model of play that, hopefully, can change the history of the club.

This is a club where trophies are what it has been about for many years. But, for me, running alongside that it's about putting in place a model to see the club grow. That is equally important. To build a group that challenges."

I quite like that. He seems committed to doing things correctly.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #14
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Maxi is officially gone.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #15
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
Maxi is officially gone.
No surprise really. I think Maxi was one of the most underutilized players in the squad. He did his best but just couldnt hold down a spot.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #16
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

And Borini is now official.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #17
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #18
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

We have a load of young talent coming up. I thought Shelvey, Sterling, Pacheco, Ibe, Suso, and a few others all looked pretty darn good against TFC today. The same can't be said of Cole and Adam.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #19
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Some video from Boston
Old 08-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #20
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stewart Downing scored a goal, alert the press!

Tags
gerrard , ynwa