Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2011, 02:25 PM   #781
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I've read similar analyses and I watched Blackpool a fair bit this season. Charlie Adam is a one of a kind player, but thats not necessarily to say hes the best or anything like that, just that his style of play is very much his own.

He has weaknesses, his fitness and flair for the dramatic are usually the ones pointed at.

But his strengths are impressive, hes not the flighty, speedy midfielder, hes bigger and stronger and he tends to control the midfield more. The thing is that last season he was a one man show, surround him with players that Liverpool have in the squad and theres good potential there.

I like the thought of him delivering corners and having Carroll thunder them into the net.
ya I think he would be a good signing

I don't know how a midfield of Adam/Henderson/Gerrard works though

not a lot of defense there

and I would assume then that Suarez/Carroll/Kuyt would be up front on somewhat of a 4-3-3 or a 4-3-2-1

only Kuyt of that group knows how to track back

a holding midfielder is needed I think, especially against the top 6
d_phaneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:41 PM   #782
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
What kind of health issues does Meireles has?
I have no idea, they just keep referencing 'health concerns' in all the articles talking about Liverpool signing Adam as a potential concern to Meireles' status in the first team.

Personall, I'd love to see a midfield with Gerrard, Meireles and Adam in it. Now what we need is WIDE players.

And rumour is that the King is looking at Clichy or Jose Enrique at LB. A CB for all the games Agger cant play would be nice.

Overall though, if they land Adam and a couple more pieces this is going to be a very respectable squad next season.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #783
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
ya I think he would be a good signing

I don't know how a midfield of Adam/Henderson/Gerrard works though

not a lot of defense there

and I would assume then that Suarez/Carroll/Kuyt would be up front on somewhat of a 4-3-3 or a 4-3-2-1

only Kuyt of that group knows how to track back

a holding midfielder is needed I think, especially against the top 6
I agree, I dont see how Gerrard/Henderson/Adam works out, but theres also Meireles to consider as well as Spearing who could potentially be a holding midfielder. Tough job to hand a kid though but Lucas can be that guy too.

But they seem to be overloading the midfield right now, I dont know if they're going to try certain players out wide, I have no idea.

Its certainly going to be an interesting off season for Liverpool fans though. I just like the fact that they're out strengthening the squad.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-14-2011, 09:11 AM   #784
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

forgot about Lucas, think he could possibly be the holding MF

but then like you say that is an overloaded midfield

and with Suarez/Carroll up front and Kuyt as well, that is 8 guys who think they should start every game for 5-6 spots
Old 06-14-2011, 10:21 AM   #785
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Apparently since we lost out on Phil Jones, we are now looking at Scott Dann to be our new CB. He seems to have just as much potential as Jones, plus he is cheaper and is from Liverpool.

I'm sure we will also bring in a couple of wingers, with the strongest rumors being for N'Zogbia, Downing, Marveaux and Mata.

I think this is what we will look like next season:

----------------Reina----------------
Kelly------Carra-------Agger----Johnson
----------------Lucas-----------------
-----Henderson---------Adam---------
--------Kuyt--------Suarez------------
---------------Carroll----------------

Obviously if Gerrard and Miereles are healthy enough/still on our team next season they will be in the starting lineup over Henderson and Adam. I could also see one of the new wingers we bring in start in place of Kuyt to provide us with some width. Dann will be the CB who plays when Agger is hurt.

I really hope the Mata rumors are true and we bring him in.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:11 PM   #786
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

There seems to be several rumors about Adam Johnson making the switch to Liverpool. Apparently Mancini doesn't like him, and they are after Alexis Sanchez to try and replace him. I think he would be a great pickup for us, he is a quality winger.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:13 PM   #787
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alexis Sanchez is going to Barca, Sid Lowe says a fee all ready arranged (I think 33m) and they just need to work out personal details

nothing official has been announced but he is the Guardian's Spain guy and he's not every really been a rumor guy either, so I think he is a pretty good source

I do think Adam Johnson needs to get out of City though, Mancini clearly doesn't rate him, would be a good signing for Liverpool
Old 06-20-2011, 09:12 AM   #788
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
There seems to be several rumors about Adam Johnson making the switch to Liverpool. Apparently Mancini doesn't like him, and they are after Alexis Sanchez to try and replace him. I think he would be a great pickup for us, he is a quality winger.
I'd be cool with that, he'd be a natural fit, excellent wide player.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:34 AM   #789
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do not understand why they want to get rid of Meireles. He performed really well, what more can you ask of the guy? There are far better guys to turf in order to make room in the squad.

Quote:
Midfielder Felipe Melo is unhappy at reports that Juventus have offered him as part of a bid to sign Liverpool's Raul Meireles.

Liverpool are said to have told Juventus that they can have the Portugal playmaker for £13m, and the Italian club are understood to be prepared to offer Melo and cash.
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...002914,00.html

First of all, I want nothing to do with Felipe Melo. I've seen him play for Brazil, the guy is moody, temperemental and sometimes makes such rash challenges he makes Paul Scholes and Mascherano look like saints.

Hes more of a liability than anything else. I'd sooner trust Lucas on defensive mid than this guy, and I'd much sooner keep Meireles.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:19 PM   #790
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Well a fee for Charlie Adam has finally been agreed. I'm glad we got him in early so they can get him conditioned by the start of the season. It will be nice to have a guy who can make a variety of different passes, we haven't had that since Alonso left.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:18 AM   #791
Lee of Red
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Andy Carroll - 35mil
Jordan Henderson - 16mil
Charlie Adam - 10mil

No idea what planet Liverpool are on. I'll stop short of saying it's a waste of money but imo it's a complete misinvestment. Never mind the complete lack of width or the ageing defence, sign more central midfielders...
Lee of Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #792
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee of Red View Post
Andy Carroll - 35mil
Jordan Henderson - 16mil
Charlie Adam - 10mil

No idea what planet Liverpool are on. I'll stop short of saying it's a waste of money but imo it's a complete misinvestment. Never mind the complete lack of width or the ageing defence, sign more central midfielders...
Signing those players has no effect on who they will bring in for Defense. The whole squad needed upgrading and that is exactly what they are doing.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #793
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee of Red View Post
Andy Carroll - 35mil
Jordan Henderson - 16mil
Charlie Adam - 10mil

Adam was 7 million I thought. Either way, it'll be interesting to see how that works from a defensive standpoint, especially when you also have Glen Johnson in the back. We'll see I suppose, still a ton of time till the window closes.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:09 AM   #794
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuje View Post
Adam was 7 million I thought. Either way, it'll be interesting to see how that works from a defensive standpoint, especially when you also have Glen Johnson in the back. We'll see I suppose, still a ton of time till the window closes.
What I keep reading is that Adam was £7M + players. Now, nowhere has said which players, but the deal is done, they've bought Adam and agreed to personal terms, so if there where players involved we should know by now.

Also:

Quote:
''We are very pleased because the two signings we've done were absolute priorities on our list,'' said Comolli. ''When you go into a transfer window you always have X number of targets and it's very rare you get all of them.

''We're lucky we've got two of our priorities. That's good, and I'm sure there'll still be a lot of movement, especially going out but also, hopefully, a few more coming in.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...siness?cc=5901

Old 07-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #795
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Very interesting update on the new stadium/Anfield expansion on LFC.TV today. It sounds like it is much more likely that a new stadium will be built at this point in time. I think I would be in support of that even though I would love for them to be able to keep Anfield. A new stadium will just be able to fit so many more people and generate much greater revenue.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:30 PM   #796
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

The fee for Stewart Downing has finally been agreed. Should be a good acquisition for us. Finally a winger who can cross!
Old 07-14-2011, 12:50 AM   #797
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
Very interesting update on the new stadium/Anfield expansion on LFC.TV today. It sounds like it is much more likely that a new stadium will be built at this point in time. I think I would be in support of that even though I would love for them to be able to keep Anfield. A new stadium will just be able to fit so many more people and generate much greater revenue.
Agreed. Even under the old regime I thought Anfield's days were numbered, so I went down as soon as I possibly could. It's got the history, but with the way things are turning around, the extra revenue from a stadium with much more seats, modern facilities, and naming rights, could collect its share of trophies as well.

Tags
gerrard , ynwa