Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #41
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
So it started with your generation.
Possibly, but I'm inclined to think not. I'm assuming the kids who spoke to other kids in a terribly polite manner 30+ years ago were homeschooled, sheltered, or perhaps robots sent to Earth to learn how Hu-Man children behave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #42
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Surely as a kid, you recognized some kind of difference between things that were "Mommy's" and things that were "yours". The difference is in the degree to which the kid feels entitled to use the gun.
I agree, but didnt you also have things that were yours but you werent allowed to use without parental supervision. The one other than guns that I had growing up were lawn darts with the pointy ends. They were mine but I had to be supervised to use them. The trampoline when we were little as well. Giving children ownership of these items teaches them to care for them

Either way the kid owning a gun is a huge red herring. The only issue on the gun that should be discussed is access and proper storage. The gun in the drawer is a huge prolem in the US and leads to numerous unneeded deaths.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #43
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
It can be shown that violent media (games included) can increase aggression levels, but it's also important to note that doesn't mean it necessarily leads to aggressive behaviour.
Again, the problem I have with this is that there are studies all over the place on this. Different games show different results. One study (I don't have a link on me) cited using what is basically a casual abstract game to one with Smash Brothers-esc violence and showed increase aggression. Yet others haven't shown it (I recall they had used Myst and Medal of Honor). Some even suggest the opposite effect, using Halo II as its study game. A couple of these (such as the Myst/Medal of Honor one) specifically look at aggression, not aggressive behaviour and seem to have contradictory conclusions.

I know what you're probably going to say and fair enough though that we could look at any subject and find conflicting studies.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #44
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
Do smart parents buy their 11 year old kid COD?
Why not? Is it hard to explain to your kid the difference between fiction and reality? I think the problem is that parents spend less time with their kids. Hell, I'd not only buy them the game, I'd play it with them. My parents (dad specifically) made a HUGE fuss about Mortal Kombat. I wasn't allowed to rent it, and the few times I pulled a fast one on mom and rented it, he immediately found it, and returned it to Rogers on me. So I'd play it at my friends houses instead. Perhaps there might have been some benefit to them actually letting me play it in my own house where they could be around while I was playing it? Maybe I wouldn't have uppercutted that guy who pissed me off in traffic last week and sent him in the pit of spikes underneath the Peace Bridge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Honest question, you ever listened to these kids talk to each other in game? Seriously some of the funniest stuff a single adult could ever listen to, but scary as crap for a parent to waltz in on.
It's hilarious for sure, but I've underlined the problem. People now seem to become irrationally paranoid (all the while forgetting their own youth) about their kids.

My generation used to play hide and go seek tag and the garage roof was an acceptable place to hide. Or we'd pack the stand-up laundry hamper full of blankets, climb in, and have our friends push it down the stairs.

Though I'm sure when I have kids, my first thought will be along the lines of "What the hell are you doing, get out of the laundry hamper, and stay the hell away from the stairs with it."
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
It's really no different that playground slurs, the difference being parents aren't there to hear kids fighting by the bike racks.

You should have heard my mouth at 11. Kids today are no different, and really thinking otherwise kind of makes you sound like an old man.
It was like listening to a bunch of little Andrew Dice Clays when we were kids.

Biggest reason we swore so much is because we knew we weren't allowed to around adults, so we loved doing it when we knew we wouldn't get in trouble. If it wasn't taboo, we likely wouldn't have done it so much. It was just us indulging in the forbidden fruit of our own language.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #45
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Why not? Is it hard to explain to your kid the difference between fiction and reality? I think the problem is that parents spend less time with their kids. Hell, I'd not only buy them the game, I'd play it with them. My parents (dad specifically) made a HUGE fuss about Mortal Kombat. I wasn't allowed to rent it, and the few times I pulled a fast one on mom and rented it, he immediately found it, and returned it to Rogers on me. So I'd play it at my friends houses instead. Perhaps there might have been some benefit to them actually letting me play it in my own house where they could be around while I was playing it? Maybe I wouldn't have uppercutted that guy who pissed me off in traffic last week and sent him in the pit of spikes underneath the Peace Bridge?

It's hilarious for sure, but I've underlined the problem. People now seem to become irrationally paranoid (all the while forgetting their own youth) about their kids.

My generation used to play hide and go seek tag and the garage roof was an acceptable place to hide. Or we'd pack the stand-up laundry hamper full of blankets, climb in, and have our friends push it down the stairs.

Though I'm sure when I have kids, my first thought will be along the lines of "What the hell are you doing, get out of the laundry hamper, and stay the hell away from the stairs with it."It was like listening to a bunch of little Andrew Dice Clays when we were kids.

Biggest reason we swore so much is because we knew we weren't allowed to around adults, so we loved doing it when we knew we wouldn't get in trouble. If it wasn't taboo, we likely wouldn't have done it so much. It was just us indulging in the forbidden fruit of our own language.
When I was a teenager partying at a buddy's place, and he passed out on the couch, I'd just borrow his girlfriend's makeup and draw something stupid on his face. Nowadays, when the host passes out early, ten guys get together and gang rape his girlfriend live on the Internet and then set him on fire on the way out the door.

When I was a little kid, we'd punch each other in the arm whenever a VW beetle drove by. Now, they punch each other in the balls and make someone snort a line of crushed up habanero peppers.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #46
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Possibly, but I'm inclined to think not. I'm assuming the kids who spoke to other kids in a terribly polite manner 30+ years ago were homeschooled, sheltered, or perhaps robots sent to Earth to learn how Hu-Man children behave.
Not when I was a kid. We may have swore but it wasn't lightly and would probably be out of genuine anger and could lead up to a fight. If females were around we were even more careful. Sounds boring but we got into as much crap as any generation, there was just a lot less swearing and disrespect. If we were caught swearing at school we'd get the strap. We didn't have the drug problems though, just alcohol and tobacco.

I did get my own 22 at ten although I knew better than to try to use it on my own until I was about 14, when my BB gun and bow became boring.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #47
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Not when I was a kid. We may have swore but it wasn't lightly and would probably be out of genuine anger and could lead up to a fight. If females were around we were even more careful. Sounds boring but we got into as much crap as any generation, there was just a lot less swearing and disrespect. If we were caught swearing at school we'd get the strap. We didn't have the drug problems though, just alcohol and tobacco.

I did get my own 22 at ten although I knew better than to try to use it on my own until I was about 14, when my BB gun and bow became boring.
Yes but your exact circumstance exists in it's own old-timey vaccuum. As far reaching as playground rumours and the like were, most children (and people) existed inside a small insular community, especially in Elementary school. Just because your particular group wasn't a bunch of terrible little ####s, doesn't mean others (esp in low/middle income areas) weren't.

I was privately schooled until I was 9 when my dad declared bankruptcy, and my first year in a public school was, ironically, "educational".

Quote:
Old 05-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #48
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Wasn't there a story like this a few years ago again with CoD?

Kid ran away cause the parents took the Xbox away and wouldn't let him play 12 hours a day. Something happened to the kid, or the parents?

Obviously very sketchy on the details, but I remember another story with the exact same first half a few years ago. Forget how it turned out.

Or maybe he committed suicide?
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #49
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kid ran away from home and was found dead in the woods three weeks later. He was 15 years of age.

Quote:
When Brandon threatened to run away that day, his father helped him pack his knapsack and let him leave.

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/...ound_dead.html
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #50
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

How the heck did he die?

Don't wanna seem heartless here but this kid running away cause of a video game and a little discipline may not even be the stupidest thing he did. A few weeks, minus 2?

And he thought he had the stamina to run away? People who are legitimately homeless endure far worse than that, and not because their parents took their Xbox away.

Sorry, it`s possible there was something medically/mentally wrong with this kid, and he is still just a kid, but man I grow so tired of the stupidity and heartlessness in stories like this.

Not saying this generation, or ANY generation has really been any more entitled than the other, but with specific stories like this it sure is hard to conjure up any sympathy.

Anyway, thanks for finding that for me, it was driving me nuts.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #51
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's really nothing new. Back in 1990 a kid stabbed his mom to death for taking away his Super Mario game, so it's not only tied to violent shooters.

A guy stabbed his mom over a cheeseburger a few years ago too I remember.

So was it the cheese or the meat that made him violent?

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #52
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

I once had a 14-year old kid spaz out at me while playing Starcraft. Started attacking my base. Instead of spazzing back, I went all adult on him and started started lecturing him about anger issues and how he needs to be more respectful to others. He could have easily logged off, but he just kept responding. He finally spazzed out and logged off after I started asking him about his dad lol.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #53
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

^ Uhhh... So you teased a kid who was flipping out? Is that what you call going all "Adult" on him?

And he was attacking your base? In Starcraft? And you considered that flipping out?

What am I missing here? You sure its the "kid" with the issue in this one?
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IgiTang For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #54
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Yeah I didn't get that either, but I didn't want to be the first to say...
Old 05-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #55
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Attacking other peoples bases in StarCraft is kind of the point, isn't it?

Unless this 14-year old was attacking your base in real life as you were playing StarCraft, then I agree that's totally spazzing out and deserving of a good adult lecture.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #56
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I kind of got the impression that he was spazzing out, and then started attacking his base.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #57
ma-skis.com
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
It's really nothing new. Back in 1990 a kid stabbed his mom to death for taking away his Super Mario game, so it's not only tied to violent shooters.

A guy stabbed his mom over a cheeseburger a few years ago too I remember.

So was it the cheese or the meat that made him violent?
this. media is trying to bring attention to the video game and not the fact that some little issue set this kid off in a violent rampage. If people feel they can use this one example to say video games cause violence, I can use a million examples where video games do not.

in other news, another kid played COD and then did his homework, went to bed, went to school, ate dinner and was peachy keen.
ma-skis.com is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ma-skis.com For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #58
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Bandwagoner View Post
I once had a 14-year old kid spaz out at me while playing Starcraft. Started attacking my base. Instead of spazzing back, I went all adult on him and started started lecturing him about anger issues and how he needs to be more respectful to others. He could have easily logged off, but he just kept responding. He finally spazzed out and logged off after I started asking him about his dad lol.
So you were playing a video game, and getting into a online argument with a 14 year old, and asking him about his dad? How adult of you.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote