Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2023, 12:48 PM   #1441
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckwheat's barber View Post
Too good to be true. Regardless of variety, sheep fescue is a poor overseeding choice. It doesn't compete well with established turf, and it will be easily choked out. Use a similar low-maintenance Kentucky bluegrass seed, when overseeding.
Reaching waaaay back here, but I do have an update! I noticed a few weeks ago the front lawn looked different than the back. I looked closer, and compared it to the section I did 100% sheep fescue, and it has become mostly that(I'd say 60-75%). I had given up years ago on it taking, but it looks like over time it has established itself. So this method seems to work, given enough time. I'm going to do another round this fall or next spring.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 01:28 PM   #1442
Buckwheat's barber
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Reaching waaaay back here, but I do have an update! I noticed a few weeks ago the front lawn looked different than the back. I looked closer, and compared it to the section I did 100% sheep fescue, and it has become mostly that(I'd say 60-75%). I had given up years ago on it taking, but it looks like over time it has established itself. So this method seems to work, given enough time. I'm going to do another round this fall or next spring.
Beautiful, and congratulations! Sheep grass can sometimes be tricky to establish, and you seem to be winning, or have won that battle – bravo! Feet up and enjoy your no–mow turf!

Cheers, and again, congrats
Old 09-22-2023, 08:22 AM   #1443
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Hey guys, I planted a ton of perennials in July of this year. Been watering them daily and they're doing well. Just wondering when I can stop doing that for the season. Should I keep watering them, or call it?

FWIW, you are allowed to water shrubs, trees, gardens, etc. in spite of the restrictions per the City of Calgary "any day and any time" so I haven't been breaking any rules.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 08:27 AM   #1444
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You're supposed to bring them inside for the winter.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Misterpants For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2023, 08:28 AM   #1445
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
Could do that. Was also thinking of just sawing them all down to the roots so they come back stronger next year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2023, 08:53 AM   #1446
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Could do that. Was also thinking of just sawing them all down to the roots so they come back stronger next year.
Really depends on the type of perennial. I tend to not water much once September comes along, let the plants start to go into their winter mode, but give the garden a good watering late fall before it freezes. Most of my plants I don't cut back until beginning of spring, but there are some that can be cut back once they have bloomed.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2023, 10:54 AM   #1447
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

No you are not to bring them inside over winter, unless they are a very tender perennial that does not survive the winters we have. They are called perennials for a reason.

Yes, keep watering them, but because temperatures are lower now and our days are shorter, either water less frequently or not as long.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 11:32 AM   #1448
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

With respect to cutting back perennials. We never cut back anything in the fall. Leave it all there for winter interest and snow retention. Only cut them back in the spring when they are starting to green up again. Has worked well for us.
Water until early October.
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 11:37 AM   #1449
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
No you are not to bring them inside over winter, unless they are a very tender perennial that does not survive the winters we have. They are called perennials for a reason.

Yes, keep watering them, but because temperatures are lower now and our days are shorter, either water less frequently or not as long.
I laughed pretty hard at this, and just assumed that he was messing with him!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 12:15 PM   #1450
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Haha yeah he was just messing around. Our entire sense of humour is based on just saying things we think the dumbest most basic person would ever say, but in a sincere/genuine tone. We're heterosexual life partners.
Old 02-15-2024, 07:18 PM   #1451
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Random question, but have anyone seen quince grow in calgary? I've seen pears in my community, but curious if a quince tree here can one day produce the unique aromatic fruit for fun and curiosity purposes.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 07:55 PM   #1452
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Random question, but have anyone seen quince grow in calgary? I've seen pears in my community, but curious if a quince tree here can one day produce the unique aromatic fruit for fun and curiosity purposes.
Sometimes I swear to god you’re AI
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2024, 08:31 PM   #1453
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Sometimes I swear to god you’re AI

Imagining the cataclysmic internet destruction if DoubleF and Curves2000 ever had a conversation.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 08:30 AM   #1454
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Questions for those who may know…

My rhubarb is already up, as well as my Hyacinths and Alliums (about 6” above ground).

This snow storm and the subsequent cooler temps associated with it should I be covering these/building an insulation tent for the next week or so?

I’m worried they will freeze and be killed now that they have started to actually grow.

Thoughts?

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 10:48 AM   #1455
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Questions for those who may know…

My rhubarb is already up, as well as my Hyacinths and Alliums (about 6” above ground).

This snow storm and the subsequent cooler temps associated with it should I be covering these/building an insulation tent for the next week or so?

I’m worried they will freeze and be killed now that they have started to actually grow.

Thoughts?
They should be fine.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2024, 11:40 AM   #1456
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you’re thinking of fertilizing - sprinkle it on the snow this week.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 11:46 AM   #1457
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

We have been thinking about replacing our “normal” lawn with native grasses. Any suggestions how to best do this or recommendations of companies that do this?
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 11:48 AM   #1458
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
If you’re thinking of fertilizing - sprinkle it on the snow this week.
Perfect the new neighbours that have immigrated from India will truly think I am nuts.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 12:45 PM   #1459
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah123 View Post
We have been thinking about replacing our “normal” lawn with native grasses. Any suggestions how to best do this or recommendations of companies that do this?
Often you have to get rid of your turf grass first I think. I've been looking into microclover, I've heard of some people having success planting that in their existing lawn and having it gradually take over. Probably going to give it a go this spring.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 08:58 AM   #1460
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
Often you have to get rid of your turf grass first I think. I've been looking into microclover, I've heard of some people having success planting that in their existing lawn and having it gradually take over. Probably going to give it a go this spring.
I have been slowly adding this into my lawn. Sometimes it really takes awhile to take hold. last year is was really starting to spread. I will see in the backyard if it survived the dog through the winter. I do want to add more in this year too as It going to probably have water restrictions all year.

I did add some white clover, which is a little more annoying as it flowers more.

I also had a Chinch bug issue last year. Well I maintained that okay, they avoided the clover areas.

Tags
flowers , garden , green thumb , landscaping , veggies