Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2016, 09:55 AM   #361
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
I believe black knot spreads by spores as well.

So if you do prune out any branches, it is usually advised to bag and seal those branches to prevent further spread of the disease before they are disposed of. Burning gets rid of it but that is hard to do in the city.
Black knot:

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/faq7622

It is a really big problem in Calgary as previously noted.

If left unchecked, it will kill your tree and likely a large population of trees in the neighborhood as well.

My father-in-law lost his beautiful Mayday tree last year due to black fungus. We have two beautiful Maydays in our backyard, and our neighborhood has lots of them as well. Definitely don't want to lose them if it can be prevented.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:06 AM   #362
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
And great call on the hops. I've heard that it can grow up to a foot/day, and that they provide awesome privacy quite early in the season.
What are these hops you speak of? Links? Really curious about things that grow fast!
blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:09 AM   #363
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueski View Post
What are these hops you speak of? Links? Really curious about things that grow fast!
As far as I know just your regular hops that would be used for ingredients in beer.

Here's a few others:

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/spec...or-privacy.htm

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
Old 05-03-2016, 11:11 AM   #364
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've got some growing. Just planted last year, so only about 1 foot tall right now.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:15 AM   #365
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I've got some growing. Just planted last year, so only about 1 foot tall right now.
Interesting.

A co-worker of mine planted some in her back yard to cover her fence and was just telling me the other day that they are growing a foot/day.

Different type of hops maybe?

Old 05-03-2016, 11:17 AM   #366
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hops are fantastic as a vine/wall cover, the damn things grow like weeds. We've had them for a number of years in our yard and don't cut them back until spring since they keep things interesting over the winter (compared to looking at a bland fence)
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:17 AM   #367
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid...%20hops%20grow

Old 05-03-2016, 11:55 AM   #368
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
Interesting.

A co-worker of mine planted some in her back yard to cover her fence and was just telling me the other day that they are growing a foot/day.

Different type of hops maybe?
I didn't treat mine very well last year...they were transplanted from a friend, then a few months later I re-did that area, and had to move them again in the fall. I was just happy to see them come back, so I'm sure they will need a little TLC before taking off.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:11 PM   #369
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thanks for all that on hops ^^^. I'm looking for something that could do a quick one season snow fence. Too bad they need a structure to go vertical. I might plant corn, it would be perfect I think.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:34 PM   #370
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Hops are fantastic as a vine/wall cover, the damn things grow like weeds. We've had them for a number of years in our yard and don't cut them back until spring since they keep things interesting over the winter (compared to looking at a bland fence)
Do you have them growing on the fence directly or do they need a mesh, lattice?
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:36 PM   #371
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Take a look at some of the links I posted. I think they would be ok growing up a chain link fence with a bit of assistance.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:57 PM   #372
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
We have a lattice to help them climb. Then once they reach the top you can turn them wherever you want pretty much.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:15 AM   #373
Robotic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Any suggestions on watering 800 tree seedlings? I'll be planting the 1 year old trees on the 9th. I'm thinking of hooking up a drip irrigation line connected to a well. Any ideas?
Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:26 AM   #374
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotic View Post
Any suggestions on watering 800 tree seedlings? I'll be planting the 1 year old trees on the 9th. I'm thinking of hooking up a drip irrigation line connected to a well. Any ideas?
They shouldn't need much water. Maybe once or twice a month. What species? Are you concerned with deer browsing them?

Last edited by blueski; 05-04-2016 at 12:34 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:37 AM   #375
Robotic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
They shouldn't need much water. What species?
Mostly Green Ash, and about 80 Russian Olive. Its going to be a shelter belt, and we're kinda experimenting on how well they do. If we can get a near 100% success rate, and see good growth over the year, then we will be planting thousands more.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:41 AM   #376
Robotic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hadn't really considered deer. Don't think it will be to much of an issue, but we will soon find out. Cattle will be around, but that can easily be fenced with electric wire.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:41 AM   #377
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Any recommendations on some sod installers? Looking to get about 200 sq feet on my lawn replaced.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:50 PM   #378
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotic View Post
Hadn't really considered deer. Don't think it will be to much of an issue, but we will soon find out. Cattle will be around, but that can easily be fenced with electric wire.
Russian olive are tough and grow fast, almost to the point of being invasive. I've planted about ten myself. I would just water them a few times by hand. Some kind of weed matt and mulch on top will really help as it will take away competition and keep it moist longer. If you water every ten days, I think that would bee enough. After about three years they would do fine by them selves with maybe a couple of annual soakings. My willows are growing, pretty exciting, I was worried it wouldn't work out that I planted then too soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to blueski For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2016, 10:01 PM   #379
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Russian Olive are also pretty popular with game birds. Great way to sustain a population on your land.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:11 PM   #380
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looking to have lawn sprinklers installed; my back won't handle me doing it myself. Any suggestions which companies to use (or not to use)?
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flowers , garden , green thumb , landscaping , veggies