Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2024, 01:40 AM   #21
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
It was a career I was always interested in. The main reason I didn’t pursue it was fear of the internal workings of the job. Not the field duties. I’m 100% certain I’d get set up or murdered for reporting dirty cops.
My BIL was a cop for 39 years, smart, tough and a little crazy at times but very fair and respectful. The last 15 years of his career was a nightmare though because he told the truth about another officer beating a young man with his billystick so bad the kid had life altering brain damage.
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 07:42 AM   #22
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
My BIL was a cop for 39 years, smart, tough and a little crazy at times but very fair and respectful. The last 15 years of his career was a nightmare though because he told the truth about another officer beating a young man with his billystick so bad the kid had life altering brain damage.
I think most cops are good. I really do. You don't hear much about "cop handles problem like a total pro, and everyone is now better off."

But when you get a bad one, they have power to do life destroying things. And that suuuuuuucks. And when the police close ranks around a bad cop - welp, that tarnishes everyone.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SutterBrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 07:55 AM   #23
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutterBrother View Post
I think most cops are good. I really do. You don't hear much about "cop handles problem like a total pro, and everyone is now better off."

But when you get a bad one, they have power to do life destroying things. And that suuuuuuucks. And when the police close ranks around a bad cop - welp, that tarnishes everyone.
Do you see how your first and last statements completely contradict each other? Any officer that covers for a bad one is bad themselves, full stop
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 10:14 AM   #24
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2024/04/...nce-acquittal/

Man, F those cops who tried to ruin this family's life. In this interview with the family, the dad also mentions how his son is now scared when they go out due to this incident. Nice work, cops. F that little kid, right?

Quote:
Shaikh was eight months pregnant when the incident happened. The couple has since had their third child.

The impact of the incident and trial has also stretched to their five-year-old son, who was in the vehicle with them at the time. “That night for him actually turned out to be a tragic, tragic night.”

“Closer to when the incident happened, it was more frequent. He was speaking about a black car and “where’s baba? Don’t let them take baba,” Shaikh shared, referring to Zameer. “I didn’t know what to say.”
Yet, throughout everything, like being new immigrants and being called terrorists because some Canadians are racist and equate Brown-skinned people to that, being completely lied to by the cops and being setup by the police, they still constantly empathize with Northrup's widow and their children and pray for them. The Zameers are kind, nice people.

Quote:
Now, Zameer said the sorrow he feels for Const. Northrup’s family is ever present. “We felt so horrible to this day … Whenever I see [my son] smiling, whenever I hug him, I always think about the three kids who do not have their father anymore.”
It sounds like kind acts and words like the one mentioned below, by Canadians has led to Zameer and his wife to still have hope in Canada and Canadians despite everything we've put them through.

Quote:
The supportive messages they are getting now have been overwhelming. “People praying for us, they don’t know us. It’s so beautiful. They’re telling us their entire families are praying for us as they feel for us and it means a lot to us,” said Shaikh.

Zameer added on Tuesday, he was out with his family and a stranger came up to him and apologized.
The full interview with the family is a little lower in the posted article.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 10:21 AM   #25
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Do you see how your first and last statements completely contradict each other? Any officer that covers for a bad one is bad themselves, full stop
If you're a good cop and you were presented the prosecutor's case here, you would think you were on the right side.

If you know the actual facts and you still protected them, then yeah, you're part of the problem. But I don't think the majority of cops are like that.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 10:36 AM   #26
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutterBrother View Post
If you're a good cop and you were presented the prosecutor's case here, you would think you were on the right side.

If you know the actual facts and you still protected them, then yeah, you're part of the problem. But I don't think the majority of cops are like that.
It’s interesting. I have social media and pretty much don’t like the self indulgent and performative aspect to most of it these days but I do have cop friends and family who the second a cops life is harmed, they’ll post some ridiculous blue line post sending their thoughts. Or when a police horse or person dies, every policeman will come out on taxpayer dime to be at the funeral. But not once have I seen a fellow cop call out another based on their dirty deed or something they did which wasn’t ethical. At the very least they don’t care. I’m against all forms of performative bull#### but why do it for some things and not others in the same vein? There’s a hush hush culture. Every officer know if you get pulled over to subtly show you have a badge to get off. The rules don’t apply to all as it would to you and me here, and that’s the problem. I’d go so far to say most cops are complicit in allowing this culture to keep going as it doesn’t affect them. It’s selfish.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 02:46 PM   #27
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

The officers ruined this guys life, and tried to bury him in jail to further ruin it. It's so shameful. This could have literally happened to any of us. I honestly think I would have reacted the same way if I saw a couple of lunatics banging on my car windows demanding I open the door. And now the poor guy has to live with the nightmare that he ran someone over for the rest of his life.
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 07:09 PM   #28
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
The officers ruined this guys life, and tried to bury him in jail to further ruin it. It's so shameful. This could have literally happened to any of us. I honestly think I would have reacted the same way if I saw a couple of lunatics banging on my car windows demanding I open the door. And now the poor guy has to live with the nightmare that he ran someone over for the rest of his life.
Oh yeah, if off duty cops in Calgary did to me what they did to him? I'd have reacted the same, and I'm a white guy. Especially now a days where more and more criminals are armed and willing to go further during robberies/assaults.

Not a ****ing chance I'm getting blindsided by plainclothes officers and abiding to commands. I'm panicking and doing what it takes to get away with my life.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 07:15 PM   #29
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Race doesn't matter in this case. Police will stick together regardless.
Old 04-24-2024, 07:18 PM   #30
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they looked like homeless people like that, even if they had clearly visible badges I'd assume they're fake.

Whole thing is a ####show
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 11:44 AM   #31
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, moments after the verdict was announced, Toronto police chief, Demkiw, officially made a statement outside the courthouse expressing disappointment that Zameer was found not-guilty, referencing his police family, "I share the feelings of our members who were hoping for a different outcome.", obviously sparking criticism and a ton of outrage in Toronto.

He finally apologized for his comments today in a police meeting where they brought in a camera to record his apology. No word yet on the internal investigation that was kicked off after the judge made comments about how the officers' stories did not match with the evidence and experts that re-created that night's events. I won't hold my breath for the cops to do anything about the perjury on the stand by his officers.
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post: