Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2022, 03:40 PM   #1221
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
What was the major issue again? One of the actresses from Trailer Park Boys got caught with some emails suggesting they make up or embellish some events to really get him or something?

It's been awhile since I've followed this.
Lucy DeCoutere repeatedly didn't tell the truth at trial. This caused the judge to doubt her credibility, and acquit Gomeshi. The Crown attorney or police weren't at fault. Trials are also difficult for complainants, too.

As a result of the case, the government introduced legislation requiring defence lawyers to disclose communication between an accused and complainant in advance of trial that they plan to introduce rather confront a complainant with the communication while they are testifying. Many defence lawyers argue losing this element of surprise has allowed complainants to more easily fabricate than being confronted on the spot.

Last edited by Johnny199r; 03-02-2022 at 03:45 PM.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 04:17 PM   #1222
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
This is actually my number one piece of dating advice for my female friends. If the dude doesn't have at least a couple of close male friends, solid chance he's a piece of ####.

I suspect the same holds true for women as well. The worst partners I've dated are the ones who didn't have their own close-knit group of female friends.
I don’t think that’s fair. There’s a lot of men who just don’t relate well to other men and struggle with those relationships. Same thing for women. Lumping them in with creeps and crazies is going too far.
Old 03-02-2022, 04:49 PM   #1223
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole436 View Post
I don’t think that’s fair. There’s a lot of men who just don’t relate well to other men and struggle with those relationships. Same thing for women. Lumping them in with creeps and crazies is going too far.
A lot of creeps also have lots of other male friends too. Isn't it a general trait of sociopaths that they are excellent at having lots of superficial relationships, but are not able to form more meaningful relationships?

In the case of Ghomeshi, he had a lot of people who seemed like his friends, but not many people he was truly close with. That was his whole lure. Someone dating him at first was probably sucked in by the appearance of kind well socially connected person...then blam, he punches them in the face (literally).
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2022, 06:23 PM   #1224
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole436 View Post
#NotAllMen obviously. It's just a bit of a red flag in my anecdotal history.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 06:29 PM   #1225
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Lucy DeCoutere repeatedly didn't tell the truth at trial. This caused the judge to doubt her credibility, and acquit Gomeshi. The Crown attorney or police weren't at fault. Trials are also difficult for complainants, too.

As a result of the case, the government introduced legislation requiring defence lawyers to disclose communication between an accused and complainant in advance of trial that they plan to introduce rather confront a complainant with the communication while they are testifying. Many defence lawyers argue losing this element of surprise has allowed complainants to more easily fabricate than being confronted on the spot.
This is a bit of an odd/broad take. IIRC the issues were around communications between the complainants themselves (something that prosecutors could/should have cautioned against, though there isn't/wasn't really a playbook of best-practices for #metoo kinds of cases)

The post-assault communications with Ghomeshi get into the muddy waters of sometimes irrational behaviours by victims of physical/emotional abuse, if not psychological warfare in this case.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 06:35 PM   #1226
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
This is a bit of an odd/broad take. IIRC the issues were around communications between the complainants themselves (something that prosecutors could/should have cautioned against, though there isn't/wasn't really a playbook of best-practices for #metoo kinds of cases)

The post-assault communications with Ghomeshi get into the muddy waters of sometimes irrational behaviours by victims of physical/emotional abuse, if not psychological warfare in this case.
The issue is she also wasn’t honest in all her answers in court.

Last edited by Johnny199r; 03-02-2022 at 06:49 PM.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 07:28 PM   #1227
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
This is actually my number one piece of dating advice for my female friends. If the dude doesn't have at least a couple of close male friends, solid chance he's a piece of ####.

I suspect the same holds true for women as well. The worst partners I've dated are the ones who didn't have their own close-knit group of female friends.
the best partner I've dated was someone who had issues that prevented her from building deep connections with other people.. there was a superficial nature to a lot of her interactions with her friends, and even co-workers (for instance I recall her (in an intern type position) buying her manager a bottle of scotch for christmas in order to kind of "score" being hired in the future... I didn't understand the need considering her capability spoke volumes for itself). It resulted in a finality to our former relationship as well when things got too real, but overall I still think she was a sweet, caring, and high quality individual. I definitely wouldn't agree with your sweeping assessment.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2022, 07:37 PM   #1228
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
the best partner I've dated was someone who had issues that prevented her from building deep connections with other people.. there was a superficial nature to a lot of her interactions with her friends, and even co-workers (for instance I recall her (in an intern type position) buying her manager a bottle of scotch for christmas in order to kind of "score" being hired in the future... I didn't understand the need considering her capability spoke volumes for itself). It resulted in a finality to our former relationship as well when things got too real, but overall I still think she was a sweet, caring, and high quality individual. I definitely wouldn't agree with your sweeping assessment.
To clarify I wasn't trying to make the point that all good people are great at building close relationships. A lot of good people, for various reasons, have a hard time with close relationships too.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 08:24 PM   #1229
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post

There were multiple issues with DeCoutere's testimony, and the other two complainants. Ghomeshi's defence team poked all sorts of holes. The post-assault communications with Ghomeshi wasn't at issue as much as all of the complainants blatantly lying about having little or no further contact with him after the assaults. The contact could have potentially been explained away as the irrational behaviour of sexual assault victims, but testifying under oath in court that they had no contact with him because they feared him, and then the defence showing under cross-examination that those assertions were demonstrably false, was a big ####ing problem.

The prosecution really did a piss-poor job preparing the complainants for court. DeCoutere and one of the other complainants had no less than 25 media interviews before the trial, and Henein used their own statements to the media to contradict their testimony.

The fact that DeCoutere and one of the other complainants had sent thousands of emails' worth of correspondence pre-trial, which Henein demonstrated could be considered conspiratorial, was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Considering the contradictory testimony, certain facts in the complainants' testimony which Henein was able to demonstrably prove were false, and the 5,000 emails of correspondence between complainants, the judge pretty much had no choice to find Ghomeshi not guilty. Henein again was very shrewd to elect for a trial by judge alone, as maybe a jury might have had some empathy for the complainants and believed them despite the inconsistencies, but she knew a judge would take a cold, dispassionate view of things. She planted the seeds of reasonable doubt and sowed them with the complainants' own contradictory testimony. The judge couldn't help but find him not guilty on that basis alone.

That said, did Ghomeshi really have violent romantic encounters with those women? Almost certainly. I absolutely believe the gist of the allegations were all true. I don't doubt Sarah Polley's revelations for a second; however, as sad as it is to say, the "lawyers she spoke with [who] told her she'd make a terrible witness because of inconsistencies in her story and how she interacted with Ghomeshi as a guest on his radio show in the years after the alleged incident" were absolutely correct. There was no court case there. There never was. He's a colossal piece of #### but legally he wasn't, and wouldn't have been, guilty of a crime.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2022, 09:16 PM   #1230
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Jian Ghomeshi is a major POS and I'm sure I'll be accused of victim blaming here, but it would have been nice if Sarah Polley had spoken publicly about this before she had a book to sell.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 09:28 PM   #1231
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
Jian Ghomeshi is a major POS and I'm sure I'll be accused of victim blaming here, but it would have been nice if Sarah Polley had spoken publicly about this before she had a book to sell.

Sorry, but completely disagree. There are lots of reasons why women don't come forward, and the way sexual assault victims tend to be treated by the courts and the media is probably a big part of it.

If she wasn't comfortable before, that shouldn't be blamed on her. And none of this seems like a crass cash grab to sell books on her part, at least imo.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post: