Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2024, 04:11 PM   #81
Scooter
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Freidman:Hanifin

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike View Post
Yeah I suspect the next 4-5 years are going to be extremely ugly. But on the plus side that’s how most teams eventually get good.
Ottawa, Buffalo, Columbus, Anaheim fans would argue with you cause their last 4-5 yrs. have been ugly and they still aren't good.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scooter For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2024, 04:15 PM   #82
MolsonInBothHands
First Line Centre

Exp:

In before the stupid Eric Francis comments that add nothing arrive.
Old 02-18-2024, 04:38 PM   #83
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
It was only 21 years ago, basically yesterday lol
Oh my God we're old...I hate you so much.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 06:19 PM   #84
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
And if you don't win the lottery, which no one has a strong chance of, you still pick in the top 5 or 10 and get a better player.

Either way its of benefit to be closer to the bottom of the pack. Especially in a draft year that isn't as strong as most.
The commentary about this being a weak draft are exaggerated
I think it’s an average to above average draft.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2024, 08:05 PM   #85
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Ottawa, Buffalo, Columbus, Anaheim fans would argue with you cause their last 4-5 yrs. have been ugly and they still aren't good.
I know it's Francis and i know what he's doing, but I'm just curious why the Flames media is so interested in this "can/should we rebuild?" debate now. We all understand that in a couple weeks the 3-4 will potentially be Kylington-Pachal, and the 5-6 Gilbert-Solovyov, and the starter maybe Vladar or Wolf. It's an obsolete question now. It doesn't matter if you don't believe in rebuilds, it's happening.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 08:32 PM   #86
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post

I have zero idea, but I choose to trust you...
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 08:36 PM   #87
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just take a peruse through the draft thread, Sandman has broken down the draft quite extensively and there are lots of reasons to be excited at the prospects of owning multiple 1sts this year, even in the 20-32 range.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2024, 08:39 PM   #88
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just like the Old Gypsy Woman said!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 08:43 PM   #89
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Because they’re fundamentally not good hockey organizations in other ways.

The Flames might be try hards, but they do often at least achieve a baseline level of competence from a hockey ops perspective.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 08:44 PM   #90
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What’s your reasoning for thinking it’s average +? At the high end of the draft, I’m not overly high on my (very limited) viewings of the top rated prospects. The WJC, while not the be all end all, didn’t paint any one player as being the best of their class. Even Celebrini didn’t overly stand out above the others the same way Bedard and Michkov did 2 years ago.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 09:02 PM   #91
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have to echo what you're saying here. For the past few years it's been well known that 2023 was going to be a great draft followed by very weak draft in 2024 and then a very average draft in 2025. Mark Edwards from hockeyprospects.com has called 2024 the worst draft in 20 years. The draft has one top end talent - NOT a franchise player - and then another half dozen players to be top line/pair players. After that more of gamble than other drafts. More quality on the blue line than any other position. Few top end options at center after Celibrini and Lindstom, and the latter is a step down. This is one where the scouts will have to do some magic and find players that are overperformers post draft. It's always better to have more picks in a draft but this draft is one where you're not likely to come out of it with the "haul" some people are hoping for. This sounds like it will be more 2013 and you're going to draft guys that will play down the lineup rather than up the lineup.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2024, 09:03 PM   #92
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
What’s your reasoning for thinking it’s average +? At the high end of the draft, I’m not overly high on my (very limited) viewings of the top rated prospects. The WJC, while not the be all end all, didn’t paint any one player as being the best of their class. Even Celebrini didn’t overly stand out above the others the same way Bedard and Michkov did 2 years ago.
Oh I don't think it's as good as last year's draft, largely because of Bedard and to a lesser extent a really strong 4some with him, Michkov, Carlsson and Fantilli. The top end was better. But I think the top end is on par with most years. And what is interesting about this draft is the strength on D, where it has a chance be one of the best drafts in terms of guys who could potentially be top pairing or #1 guys.

I think once you gets into the 20s it's almost impossible to compare draft to draft - the strength of a draft is set at the top end.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2024, 09:05 PM   #93
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Have to echo what you're saying here. For the past few years it's been well known that 2023 was going to be a great draft followed by very weak draft in 2024 and then a very average draft in 2025. Mark Edwards from hockeyprospects.com has called 2024 the worst draft in 20 years. The draft has one top end talent - NOT a franchise player - and then another half dozen players to be top line/pair players. After that more of gamble than other drafts. More quality on the blue line than any other position. Few top end options at center after Celibrini and Lindstom, and the latter is a step down. This is one where the scouts will have to do some magic and find players that are overperformers post draft. It's always better to have more picks in a draft but this draft is one where you're not likely to come out of it with the "haul" some people are hoping for. This sounds like it will be more 2013 and you're going to draft guys that will play down the lineup rather than up the lineup.
Getting three guys who can play in the NHL out of this draft could easily be as important to the team as the draft where they’re able to snag a truly elite talent.

Klimchuk and Poirier never being able to even crack the lineup was a real blow.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 02-18-2024 at 09:08 PM.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2024, 09:11 PM   #94
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Getting three guys who can play in the NHL out of this draft could easily be as important to the team as the draft where they’re able to snag a truly elite talent.
Don't disagree. They need to turn these picks into gold. It's unfortunate the draft isn't a higher quality where those players could have been really good players. Let's hope the scouts do well and pick guys that play and don't repeat 2013. Hard to believe that with three picks in the top 30 they hit on the two guys from that opening round that would play the least number of games in the NHL.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 09:20 PM   #95
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

I look at the points/production/stats of the 2024 draft top20 players.

I don't really see any difference from the top players from last year (minus Bedard).

I am not sure what I am missing.

Buium, Parehk, Demidov, Celebrini, Catton, Eiserman are all as good if not better than most of the players 2-10 last year. Hell, kids like Buium and Parehk and Demidov are having historical years.

Last edited by Wastedyouth; 02-18-2024 at 09:23 PM.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 09:23 PM   #96
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's a perfect scenario for the Flames that the 2024 is looked at as "weak".

Let other teams value their picks at a much lesser extent, take advantage, and let a top 5 scouting staff in the NHL work its magic.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 09:24 PM   #97
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ such a great point
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 09:26 PM   #98
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would love a look back analysis on drafts that were historical strong or weak at the time.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2024, 09:26 PM   #99
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh I don't think it's as good as last year's draft, largely because of Bedard and to a lesser extent a really strong 4some with him, Michkov, Carlsson and Fantilli. The top end was better. But I think the top end is on par with most years. And what is interesting about this draft is the strength on D, where it has a chance be one of the best drafts in terms of guys who could potentially be top pairing or #1 guys.

I think once you gets into the 20s it's almost impossible to compare draft to draft - the strength of a draft is set at the top end.
I’ll take your word on the D prospects as I hope that is true with the flames pick. Losing as much of our D core as we expect to trade away, getting a blue chip prospect would be a major step.

What draft would be an average draft year for top end talent then? Do you feel the top end is akin to these years?

2020 with Lafreniere, Stutzle, Guhle and Neighbors
2019 with Hughes, Kakko, Dach, Byram
2018 with Dahlin, Svechnikov, Kotkaniemi and B Tkachuk
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 09:26 PM   #100
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

There aren't any generational players in the 2024 class, but there's a lot of quality in the first round. It peters out a little bit after the top 20-25 from what I've been told, but the "second round" mix is pretty steady from top to bottom and players taken in the third round should still be pretty decent.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post: