Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2024, 08:00 AM   #18721
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Oh wow, didn't expect this one

https://twitter.com/user/status/1772624368599802025
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 08:04 AM   #18722
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It's inevitable.

Before the race was announced, there were about 15,000 members of the Alberta NDP.

Nenshi's website has over 6,000 video endorsements from Albertans.

Personally, I know of 7 people who have purchased ANDP memberships since his announcement (all of them to vote for him). None of them made a video endorsement (neither did I). If 6,000 people made video endorsements, I suspect the number of people who bought memberships to vote for him is well over 20,000 at this point.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 08:05 AM   #18723
BowRiverBruinsRule
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
In another move no one asked for, the UCP is changing the way provincial organizations such as school boards and Health Services, hold and sell land/buildings,etc, giving direct control to the province when divesting of these assets. With the partition of AHS expect more grift to the UCP donors, less accountability, and attempts to kill the paper trail on where/who public assets get sold to.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...sets-1.7151389
From the article.
"Guthrie said the province's goal is to make it easier to understand the full inventory of government-owned property and more readily convert available real estate to "priority" uses — for example, affordable housing or addictions recovery centres."
Sure, OK Minister Guthrie. Laughable.
BowRiverBruinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BowRiverBruinsRule For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 08:20 AM   #18724
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

If there were 15,000 members before, Pancholi said in the video that Nenshi brought "tens of thousands" of Albertans to the party and that the size of the membership had more than doubled. I am guessing we are close to 40,000 ANDP members now.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 08:21 AM   #18725
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
If there were 15,000 members before, Pancholi said in the video that Nenshi brought "tens of thousands" of Albertans to the party and that the size of the membership had more than doubled. I am guessing we are close to 40,000 ANDP members now.
Doubling and more sounds correct:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1772628627265380655
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 08:21 AM   #18726
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is where you just have to trust the government won't take those "spare" lands and sell them to friendly developers for a song. So, uh, you trust these muppets?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 09:33 AM   #18727
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Statscan releases their annual labour market report comparing wages/salaries between different provinces and for the 3rd straight year. Under the UCP, Alberta has seen compensation rates grow at a slower rate than other provinces. Worse yet, factoring inflation Albertan's have on average experienced an effective pay cut of 5% while BC, QC, and ON all had double digit wage growth in the same period.

https://albertaworker.ca/news/albert...cut-in-canada/
https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/dail...-eng.htm?HPA=1
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 09:51 AM   #18728
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Is anyone surprised? #1 province for pandering to billion dollar corps. Ma profits! But you'll drive away business, it'll be the end of Alberta as we know it!
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 09:53 AM   #18729
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Statscan releases their annual labour market report comparing wages/salaries between different provinces and for the 3rd straight year. Under the UCP, Alberta has seen compensation rates grow at a slower rate than other provinces. Worse yet, factoring inflation Albertan's have on average experienced an effective pay cut of 5% while BC, QC, and ON all had double digit wage growth in the same period.

https://albertaworker.ca/news/albert...cut-in-canada/
https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/dail...-eng.htm?HPA=1

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 09:54 AM   #18730
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

The Alberta Advantage strikes again.
Old 03-26-2024, 10:06 AM   #18731
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
The ~15 - 16,000 number included members as of last year, I believe, and many of those had yet to purchase their membership for 2024. I haven't heard if the doubling of memberships Rakhi refers to is a doubling of 16,000 or a doubling of those members who had already purchased their 2024 memberships. I suspect it is the latter from my somewhat inside view.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 10:10 AM   #18732
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Pancholi was the only candidate that I was considering outside of Nenshi. Makes my preference pretty easy now!
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 10:16 AM   #18733
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Worse yet, factoring inflation Albertan's have on average experienced an effective pay cut of 5% while BC, QC, and ON all had double digit wage growth in the same period.
Makes sense to me. Alberta wages were higher than probably necessary for a long time so slower growth would line up with a more mobile workforce these days. BC wages for example were surprisingly low in some professional fields with their high cost of living so it's about time they caught up.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 10:19 AM   #18734
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Stagnating wages, less purchasing power, extremely high utility and insurance rates, wild gas prices, rapidly inflating home prices . . .

But then you realize there's no PST and you can laugh at the pathetic provinces that have to enslave their people with communism. No freedom. Alberta Advantage!
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 10:23 AM   #18735
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Makes sense to me. Alberta wages were higher than probably necessary for a long time so slower growth would line up with a more mobile workforce these days. BC wages for example were surprisingly low in some professional fields with their high cost of living so it's about time they caught up.
+1

I think some people might be forgetting how far out front Alberta was in 2014. It's been a decade and the O&G sector is still a shadow of its former self and the huge, outsized wages that move the needle have yet to return in a meaningful way (if ever). You don't need to look any further than the housing market... Many properties have been stagnant and are still below their 2014 levels, only increasing now due to inter-provincial migration and not because of the strength of the provincial government.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 12:15 PM   #18736
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
+1

I think some people might be forgetting how far out front Alberta was in 2014. It's been a decade and the O&G sector is still a shadow of its former self and the huge, outsized wages that move the needle have yet to return in a meaningful way (if ever). You don't need to look any further than the housing market... Many properties have been stagnant and are still below their 2014 levels, only increasing now due to inter-provincial migration and not because of the strength of the provincial government.
I mean, Alberta previously had much higher wages/wage growth than other provinces because of demand for labour from oil and gas.

Now that demand is lower and the wage growth is lower (partially because of the higher base).

I don't think it's fair to say the PCs caused the oil boom (that would be geology) nor is it fair to say the UCP caused the current situation.

There are plenty of things you can blame them for, I wouldn't say that's high on the list.

Edited to add: tl;dr I agree with you&me...

Last edited by bizaro86; 03-26-2024 at 12:19 PM.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 12:18 PM   #18737
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I mean, Alberta previously had much higher wages/wage growth than other provinces because of demand for labour from oil and gas.

Now that demand is lower and the wage growth is lower (partially because of the higher base).

I don't think it's fair to say the PCs caused the oil boom (that would be geology) nor is it fair to say the UCP caused the current situation.

There are plenty of things you can blame them for, I wouldn't say that's high on the list.
My post didn't mean to imply any credit (one way or the other) to any government; only that looking at growth rates - from 2014, no less! - doesn't paint the picture some seem to think it does.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 12:43 PM   #18738
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure shutting down an entire industry and leaving it with uncertainty going forward hasn't done any favours to the job market. Turning down federal transition funding for O&G workers probably hasn't helped, either. Or chasing away medical workers.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 01:03 PM   #18739
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Sort of reinforces how dumb it would be to pull out of the CPP.
Old 03-26-2024, 01:50 PM   #18740
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else get the "Are you happy that the United Conservative Caucus is fighting bad economic policies from the NDP-Trudeau Alliance and standing-up for Alberta?" text with a video of Danielle's stupid face on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Pancholi was the only candidate that I was considering outside of Nenshi. Makes my preference pretty easy now!
Likewise, Pancholi was who I was going to vote for until Nenshi came into the picture, at which point it was an easy choice to pick him.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post: