Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #161
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nemisz got hit directly in the chest, and he went to the bench in quite a bit of pain. A couple of minutes later Nemisz and the trainer went to the dressing room and Nemisz never came back.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #162
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ortio played the third period (I lost my connection at some point and never got tuned back in. Heat had it tied 1-1 until 12 seconds remaining in the 3rd. Ortio stopped 8 of 9. Strange move by Ward to take out Taylor (33/34), I guess he had a big bobble in the second.

Captain Laing scores his 10th.

They play saturday/sunday/monday - the first two games being the most important of their season to date.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #163
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was listening to that game until late in the third, and Taylor was absolutely standing on his head.

Ward didn't really pull him for one goal did he?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #164
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Apparently Ortio played the whole third. That bobble thing was from @abbotsfordheat so it seems to be the case.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:42 AM   #165
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ward isn't afraid to switch goalies seemingly on the dime to try and change the momentum or the attitude of the players.

If he thinks they're just coasting around and have no heart, he'll take the starter out and say "Look, if you guys aren't going to play, I'm not going to let so and so suffer". It's risky if it's a close game, but I still think it's a good move. Alot of the time it works and the starter will get put back in for the next period.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #166
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's my profile of Troy Ward for The Hockey Writers, featuring a TON of comments from his former (and some current) charges who made it up to Calgary.

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-new-...rds-troy-ward/

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #167
Jaybird
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
Nemisz got hit directly in the chest, and he went to the bench in quite a bit of pain. A couple of minutes later Nemisz and the trainer went to the dressing room and Nemisz never came back.
Think he sprained his ac joint, not too serious maybe but not sure. Don't think there was any need to take Taylor out of the game, he was just shy of excellent. Sometimes those kinds of moves can change the game but not really......the guys likely just thought it was rather silly.
Jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #168
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Heat win! Now in 1st in the Western Conference.

Jon Rheault and Justin Dowling with the goals.

Jordan Henry with a pair of assists and one for Carson too.

Nemisz did not play tonight.

Danny Taylor stopped 32/33. Continues to play lights out.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:47 PM   #169
Flambé
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

24-11-3 is their record currently, for those interested.

5 points out of 1st in the entire AHL, though they are tied with two other teams at 51 points but have played one less game.

Does anyone know how attendance is doing recently? Pierre?
Flambé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:00 AM   #170
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heat have the 2nd best win percentage in the entire AHL.

Best win percentage in the Western Conference.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:37 AM   #171
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambé View Post
24-11-3 is their record currently, for those interested.

5 points out of 1st in the entire AHL, though they are tied with two other teams at 51 points but have played one less game.

Does anyone know how attendance is doing recently? Pierre?
Basically the same.

Friday games continue to bring in anywhere from 3400-3700 (mostly due to $2 beers and $1 hot dogs).

However, Saturdays generally bring in around 3000 whereas Sundays are usually less. Somewhere around 2800-3000.

Ryan Walter continues to come up with great promotional features. Most recently he's partnered up with Chevron where one can get 2 tickets and a $10 Chevron Gift Card for $35. That's a great deal, which works out to $12.50 a piece - the same price as students get.

Also, I've seen more Heat jerseys and various other types of clothing in the crowd than I've ever seen. So I figure that's a pretty good sign. Perhaps this team is catching on.

As much as I like to stay optimistic about the team, I know it likely will be a flop. It's too bad, but I'll enjoy them as long as I can while they're here.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2012, 05:14 AM   #172
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't think they'll flop. The Chilliwack Bruins were moved out of the Valley and the Heat are poised to make the playoffs. The future looks promising for the organization, even if they've struggled at the gate so far.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #173
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
Basically the same.

Friday games continue to bring in anywhere from 3400-3700 (mostly due to $2 beers and $1 hot dogs).

However, Saturdays generally bring in around 3000 whereas Sundays are usually less. Somewhere around 2800-3000.

Ryan Walter continues to come up with great promotional features. Most recently he's partnered up with Chevron where one can get 2 tickets and a $10 Chevron Gift Card for $35. That's a great deal, which works out to $12.50 a piece - the same price as students get.

Also, I've seen more Heat jerseys and various other types of clothing in the crowd than I've ever seen. So I figure that's a pretty good sign. Perhaps this team is catching on.

As much as I like to stay optimistic about the team, I know it likely will be a flop. It's too bad, but I'll enjoy them as long as I can while they're here.
I hope it works out in Abbotsford. It's hard to imagine, honestly, where else would make sense...particularly with few Canadian cities as being an option. In fact, I can't think of one... I don't think Airdrie would work.
Johnny Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #174
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rotten View Post
I hope it works out in Abbotsford. It's hard to imagine, honestly, where else would make sense...particularly with few Canadian cities as being an option. In fact, I can't think of one... I don't think Airdrie would work.
I always thought Regina or Saskatoon would be good fits. They both have junior teams, but their populations are pretty solid, and it's a Canadian market....should take to having pro team rather well, I would think.

Still really close to Calgary too.

Having said all that, I hope they work in Abbotsford.

I'd miss PMM's (and others) updates and insight.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #175
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rotten View Post

Nothing would make me happier than them moving to Victoria. No chance of that happening now that Victoria has the Royals (whl).
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #176
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Heat lose top spot today against the OKC Barons. Sounds like the reffing was pretty bad. Rheault had a goal go in that was disallowed because of a fight, and the Heat couldn't capitalize on the powerplays they did receive.

They play again tomorrow, and this time the competition won't be so stiff.

Shots were 28-21 OKC. Ryan Pinder was a little suspicious of the scoreboard during the last two games, not sure how accurate it was.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #177
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rheault, Walter, Kolanos, and Wilson have almost single-handedly been winning the Heat their games (offensively anyways).

To put it in perspective:

Rheault has 12 points in his last 10 games.
Kolanos has 21 points in his last 17 games.
Walter has 10 points in his last 13 games.
Wilson has 9 points in his last 10 games.

These four specifically, with Taylor's outstanding goaltending, have kept the Heat afloat. I would imagine, unless Feaster makes some trades, we will see Bouma, Byron, Horak, and/or Irving back in Abby, which should help offensively.

EDIT: I'd also like to mention that our WHL prospects don't make the playoffs can play with the Heat for a month before the Calder Cup playoffs (if they have a contract). As of today, all of our prospects would be in the playoffs. The Wheat Kings are holding on to that last spot in the Eastern conference and unless they pick it up a bit, we could see Ferland playing for the Heat by mid-March. Portland, Kootenay, Edmonton are shoe-ins.

Last edited by Pierre "Monster" McGuire; 01-15-2012 at 10:40 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2012, 07:16 AM   #178
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

any updates on Howse? IIRC they ruled him out of the road trip which ends today. Any news about when he'll be back?
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #179
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Note on Kolanos from Pat Steinberg's twitter.

"And his note on Kolanos very interesting: could take him off AHL-only deal and sign to a two-way, rewarding him for strong season."

I gather it is from an interview with Feaster.

I think a hurdle here is that the Flames are at 49 contracts - going to 50 would limit flexibility.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #180
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Note on Kolanos from Pat Steinberg's twitter.

"And his note on Kolanos very interesting: could take him off AHL-only deal and sign to a two-way, rewarding him for strong season."

I gather it is from an interview with Feaster.

I think a hurdle here is that the Flames are at 49 contracts - going to 50 would limit flexibility.
That's what Feaster was saying. If the team was at 47 or 48 contracts, Kolanos would be signed already.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat