Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-30-2015, 07:58 PM   #501
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

And as an added curiousity, the buy-out window is closed, so unless the grievance resolves quickly and the Kings get a bonus buy-out window due to a player-initiated arbitration win, LA's gamble could backfire in a big way.[/QUOTE]

I do not think this is correct. Craig Button was talking about this on Leafs lunch. The only thing that needed to be done by 5pm Est today, to buy a player out, was they had to be put on unconditional waivers which the Kings did on Sunday. They followed the correct steps and then the announcement came out Monday of Breach.

My understanding of his explanation of the CBA is if any player has now passed through those waivers the team can buy them out at any time. He said that if Kings lose the greivance, if the NHLPA files one, the Kings can still buy out Richard's contract.

That is why everything we have heard about players so far is '...on waivers for purpose of buy out' not any announcements of actual buy outs yet. Teams may still decide not to buy them out.

That is my understanding of his explanation.

Last edited by 14; 06-30-2015 at 08:06 PM.
14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:01 PM   #502
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a mess. It does not look good on the Kings trying to ditch a player with a bad contract over pain killers he may have become addicted to after sacrificing his body for the team.

I am very interested to follow how this plays out. Definitely hoping Richards wins the appeal and LA has to wait another year for a buy out.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:07 PM   #503
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
Hope the BOG throws the book at LAK for cap circumvention. Not that they will stick to it (NJD).
Why, if Richards gets charged with smuggling then I fully support them terminating his contract. The players need some responsibility in the game too, and the owners need to be able to part ways with people who end up doing things that don't align with team and league values.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2015, 08:12 PM   #504
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
What a mess. It does not look good on the Kings trying to ditch a player with a bad contract over pain killers he may have become addicted to after sacrificing his body for the team.

I am very interested to follow how this plays out. Definitely hoping Richards wins the appeal and LA has to wait another year for a buy out.
I know this is going to sound intensitive, but I hate this, "for the team" crap I keep hearing with this type of stuff. The impacts of these types of drugs are well know to everyone in this day and age, including the players. And they don't just do it for the team, they do it for themselves because they like earning millions of dollars a year and love being star athletes and living the life they lead. This whole doing it for the team or have to earn a living thing is so not applicable at the NHL level. No one has to be in the NHL to "survive" or provide for their families, even at league minimum. Lots of other things people can do to survive, just not ones that let live the lifestyles of the rich and famous.

When do these players who have fought for revenue sharing, a say in the way the game has been run start to have to take responsibility for themselves versus people always expecting the teams or the leagues to holds these multimillion dollar athletes hands like they are in kindergarten?
Cleveland Steam Whistle is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2015, 08:15 PM   #505
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
Why, if Richards gets charged with smuggling then I fully support them terminating his contract. The players need some responsibility in the game too, and the owners need to be able to part ways with people who end up doing things that don't align with team and league values.
People in normal salary jobs get terminated for a lot less... employment contracts are more often than not "open to interpretation" about when they can be voided. I know the one that I signed says employment is "at will" so they can end it at any time.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:17 PM   #506
Blarg
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
I just hope they do the same thing to Voynov if he is found guilty of domestic assault.
Blarg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blarg For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2015, 08:32 PM   #507
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on the Boogaard story, it would not be a surprise if a Kings/NHL doctor prescribed the drugs for Richards
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:33 PM   #508
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Based on the Boogaard story, it would not be a surprise if a Kings/NHL doctor prescribed the drugs for Richards
Then they'll terminate his contract too! Contracts terminated for everyone!!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2015, 08:43 PM   #509
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

this will never work

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to handgroen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2015, 08:45 PM   #510
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarg View Post
I just hope they do the same thing to Voynov if he is found guilty of domestic assault.
If he is in fact found guilty. As an immigrant on a visa they'll have to void the contract as he will no longer be allowed to be in the U.S. At least thats my interpretation of Voynovs situation.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:47 PM   #511
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanuthier View Post
people in normal salary jobs get terminated for a lot less... Employment contracts are more often than not "open to interpretation" about when they can be voided. I know the one that i signed says employment is "at will" so they can end it at any time.

FHRITP... That'll get you fired in real life. Maybe there's an HNIC clip that didn't get aired.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:59 PM   #512
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I can't take it anymore...I have to post...

Oxycodone is illegal in Canada without a valid prescription. It is in Schedule 1 of our CDSA (Controlled Drugs and Substances Act)...together with a bunch of other serious drugs like cocaine, fentanyl, meth, opium etc.

In addition to it being illegal to possess or traffic controlled substances, it is in most circumstances much more seriously illegal to IMPORT them into Canada. Offences under the CDSA are considered criminal offences.

Section 6(3) of the CDSA makes the offence indictable with a maximum sentence of life in prison. If they prove it was for the purpose of trafficking and the amount is under 1 kg, you get a minimum 1 year jail sentence. If the amount is over 1 kg, you get a minimum 2 year jail sentence.

All of this applies the same to EXPORTING from Canada.

Without going to hours of immigration law research, it is not too difficult to see how the CBSA or US Homeland Security can deem someone inadmissible to their country (or revoke a VISA or greencard or other such permits) for engaging in cross-border drug smuggling.

You might not be surprised that the US certainly doesn't treat drug smugglers as just silly folks with some pills. Ask this guy who spent almost 4 years pondering the mere 23 oxy pills he brought into Maine:

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/09/2...ing-oxycodone/

If the US immigration authorities take steps making it so an NHL player cannot enter or work in the US, it is not hard to understand how that is a material breach of a contract that requires such a player to be in and do things for his job in the US.

And for crying out loud the stuff is a controlled substance precisely because it is highly addictive.

And speaking from experience, as a guy who often has to advise people about their actual freedom...there are dozens of reasons why someone may choose to make or not make a public statement. Millions of lost income is a big deal...but so are actual years of your life. Contrary to popular opinion, what you do or do not say to the media often has absolutely nothing to do with how guilty or innocent you are.
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:28 PM   #513
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
It's addictive to people that already have addiction problems. Drug stores are being robbed because it's easier to try and rob a drug store than to try and rob a drug dealer for meth or coke or whatever. But saying it's highly addictive makes it sound like the average person who needs pain control should use extreme caution before using it or they'll get addicted. For 99% of the population it's not a problem.
It is the number 1 problem drug in Canada

It's as addictive as heroine though not as quickly

It's number 1 reasons pharmacies get robbed and the robberies are increasing quickly

It's the fastest growing addictive substance

Many physicians colleges are now penalizing physicians for over prescribing and offering remedial prescribing courses

It's the number 1 addictive drug that addiction agencies are focused on
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2015, 09:35 PM   #514
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The Kings can be as greasy as they want to try and get out of paying Richards but IMO this should have no bearing on his salary cap penalty to the organization as they have chosen to sever ties only because they have used him up for his good hockey but they knew of the salary cap ramifications when they traded for him and accepted the penalty that came with it. His dependence on potent pain killers should not change that as it opens up a can of worms in a league where players often play injured and are expected to take a physical beating over the course of their careers. This would never fly in the NFL and I don't see how it would fly in the NHL.

I usually support the NHL teams in CBA bargaining but IMO what the Kings are doing here is highly distasteful and I don't believe teams should be able to get away with using up players and spitting them out when they feel they are no longer useful.
This. Totally this. I hope the LA Kings are made to pay every bit of Richards' normal buyout. Every single penny of it.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:16 PM   #515
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

To me the material breach would be very clear cut if he is unable to enter canada.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:18 PM   #516
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
To me the material breach would be very clear cut if he is unable to enter canada.
I think it would mean the same thing as Voynov actually. He would have his U.S VISA revoked and could not play in the U.S. But will be stuck in Canada.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:24 PM   #517
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Mike Richards is a Canadian citizen, he cannot be prevented from entering canada. But if he is convicted of drug charges in Canada he probably would be inadmissible into the U.S.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:26 PM   #518
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
Mike Richards is a Canadian citizen, he cannot be prevented from entering canada. But if he is convicted of drug charges in Canada he probably would be inadmissible into the U.S.
Which he hasn't been
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:41 PM   #519
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

If oxy addiction is the grounds for termination this is a ######bag move by la to avoid his cap hit. I'm going through this with a friend right now, he hurt his neck in a car accident and can't kick it. It's like trying to quit smoking on steroids, seriously how many addictions can literally kill you by quiting cold turkey.

Maybe it's because i have a personal connection to this kind of thing but if it's true i hope Lombardi is the one shown the door.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan02 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2015, 10:48 PM   #520
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Which he hasn't been
Hence he used the word "if" before the boldest statement.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote