Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who will compete with the Flames soonest?
Winnipeg 162 88.04%
Edmonton 18 9.78%
Vancouver 4 2.17%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2015, 02:24 PM   #41
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the biggest obstacle impeding the Jets success is the division they play in. They can have a pretty good regular season and still only makes the playoffs as a wildcard.

/As far as the poll is concerned, I don't mind the Jets, of course having a relative who helped them to a AVCO Cup in their final WHA season likely sways my vote.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:35 PM   #42
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Their track record to date disagrees with you.

We'll see if they change going forward.
4 whole seasons of a rebuild. Got me there
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:48 PM   #43
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Winnipeg will be the Canadian team to beat in the next couple of years - if the purse strings grow a bit and they don't have to start trading some of their key guys now for futures.

I think they have one of the best prospect depth in the NHL. They have a good team on the ice. If one of their very promising goalies can step up and push Pavelec out, that team is going to be damn good.

They are big, they are young, they have lots of depth at most (every??) position and they have good team speed. If you are a Winnipeg fan, it is hard not to be excited.

I do bet that Calgary will be a bit better though
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:58 PM   #44
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...=winnipeg+good
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2015, 03:01 PM   #45
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Winnipeg is my second team but on a totally different tier. But Calgary >>>> Winnipeg for me and I was happy to see Winnipeg lose to other teams so that we kept our playoff berth this past season. Will be excited to see these two teams charge forward and do some damage in the coming seasons.

I cannot wait for QC to get a team. If they are named Nordiques, instant 3rd favourite team for me.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:23 PM   #46
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
But all of the guys they have - their prospect depth is off the charts.

I can see us as Cup contenders in 2-3 years.

I see the Jets in 2, tops.
We'll see. I put more faith in good players than good prospects.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:48 PM   #47
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Ummm, no. The Flames fans, if anything, under-expected vis-a-vis Gaudreau and debated whether Bennett should even play this year after his injury. Plus Bennett was a number 3 OAP who could have easily been a number 1.

A better comparable for some having high expectations for a mid-range pick like Ehlers is probably Sven.
Sort of wrong, very wrong, and just wrong.

We tapered our expectations for Gaudreau, sure, but we wanted Bennett in, absolutely, no questions asked.

And Sam was drafted 4th.
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:50 PM   #48
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see Winnipeg being a Nashville, a team thats competitive and potentially could get home ice in the first round of the playoffs but a team that lacks the game breakers to ever be looked at as a true contender year after year.

Who's Winnipegs Gaudreau? Monahan? or even Bennett?

From what I see they have one potential game breaker right now in Byfuglien and his temper can be a liability as much as he can be a asset.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:56 PM   #49
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Good team that should have a bright future. The same could be said for a dozen teams, including the Flames.

I still have a feeling Pavelic will be their downfall...
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:56 PM   #50
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't hate the Jets yet. My friends that are big Jets fans were Flames fans for the 16 years they did not have a team and still like the Flames so there is no rivalry there for me.

They will be a good team next year but still not sure where their Monahan, Gaudreau, Bennett will be? I think they will be a deep team but lacking the high end stars. The next St. Louis Blues
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:58 PM   #51
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Good team that should have a bright future. The same could be said for a dozen teams, including the Flames.

I still have a feeling Pavelic will be their downfall...
As could Ramo/Hiller be the same for us. Both teams need a solid #1 while their goalie prospects develop.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:06 PM   #52
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
As could Ramo/Hiller be the same for us. Both teams need a solid #1 while their goalie prospects develop.
Yeah, I would agree with that, but at least we have a tandem that has won one playoff round, whereas the Jets arguably lost a playoff round because of goaltending (at least it should have been a long series against a quality opponent).

As for hating on Winnipeg, it is tough given their history and a lack of a divisional rivalry, but I did attend a Flames/Jets game where they beat us rather handily (5-2, might have been 2 years ago). All I can remember is the number and general douchyness of their fans. Not oiler/canuck level, but still close to the get drunk/start fight in the opponents barn mentality that our mullet loving/riot loving friends are want to do.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:09 PM   #53
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Yeah, I would agree with that, but at least we have a tandem that has won one playoff round, whereas the Jets arguably lost a playoff round because of goaltending (at least it should have been a long series against a quality opponent).

As for hating on Winnipeg, it is tough given their history and a lack of a divisional rivalry, but I did attend a Flames/Jets game where they beat us rather handily (5-2, might have been 2 years ago). All I can remember is the number and general douchyness of their fans. Not oiler/canuck level, but still close to the get drunk/start fight in the opponents barn that our mullet loving/riot loving friends are want to do.
Very true.

I guess there's some in every fan base, but I haven't met enough of them so far that they outdo Vancouver or Edmonton, so I still view their fan favorably.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2015, 04:45 PM   #54
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Winnipeg is just the least no good of the no good lot!
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:59 PM   #55
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Hate em
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordan! For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2015, 05:08 PM   #56
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
Hate em
I hate the fact the Coyotes had a 'Dale Hawerchuk' night considering that he never played a single game in either Phoenix or Glendale.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2015, 05:11 PM   #57
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Jets fans used to be a cute cuddly novelty....now they're Canuck fan like annoying.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:15 PM   #58
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Yeah, Winnipeg is garbage. The fact that they are shaping to be the Flames top Canadian rival is more of an indictment of the other Canadian teams than anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
...Who's Winnipegs Gaudreau? Monahan? or even Bennett?

From what I see they have one potential game breaker right now in Byfuglien and his temper can be a liability as much as he can be a asset.
Nikolaj Ehlers.

Who is Nikolaj Ehlers? An offensively gifted, smaller player who scored at a 2.00 pts/game in the wildly high-scoring QMJHL. Don't get me wrong, I think he is a fine prospect. But is he another Gaudreau? I seriously doubt it. Will he be as good a player as Bennett? Not likely.

Those are some lofty expectations set on a boom/bust teenager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:15 PM   #59
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Winnipeg is the pits. That's a better title than all the no good threads.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:15 PM   #60
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Because most of the other Canadian based teams in the league are in cities that are no good.

It's also funny to think that some kind of Canadian solidarity would suddenly result in Canadian based teams winning the Cup left and right. Or that US based teams are successful because they sit back and let Canadian fans snipe at each other.
It wouldn't make a difference but maybe some of you wouldn't look so petty. Canucks and Oilers deserve it and I snipe them to, but do we need a bitch thread for every Canadian team in the league? It's getting to that point.

Its kind of sad how some sit here and talk about how classless x y z fan base is and then on the other hand turn around and whine in multiple team based bitch threads like a pack of old housewives. Is there an inferiority complex that we need cut every Canadian team down a peg if they start showing any signs of success? lol. Anyways enjoy yourself different strokes for different folks I guess.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote