Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2015, 03:49 PM   #41
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post

Also, snakebitten or not - him not capitalizing on breakaways is a minor issue. Him putting himself into good positions by reading the play well and using his blazing speed to get a breakaway is huge for the Flames. Puts the other team on their heels.
This is why I was never to critical of the missed breakaways last year. Having him out there made the other teams d men think twice about how agreessive they wanted to be in the Flames zone.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2015, 04:17 PM   #42
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

One more quick highlight I just stumbled across while looking for Gio highlights to place in my next video project.

Link
http://webm.host/eae70/vid.webm

I think this shift best encapsulates Byron's effectiveness.
1) good play defensively
2) speed that puts the opposition on its heels
3) aggression that surprises the Ducks defence
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2015, 05:04 PM   #43
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
This is why I was never to critical of the missed breakaways last year. Having him out there made the other teams d men think twice about how agreessive they wanted to be in the Flames zone.

Exactly. I'll take a 3rd/4th line energy guy who averages at least one breakaway every other game even with limited ice time over a 4th line guy who never leaves his own zone when he's out there. Even if Byron struggles to capitalize on those chances.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:58 PM   #44
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
One way deals don't matter unless you are concerned with the flames cash flow. The cap hit for Byron if he is in the AHL is negligable. We still have 3 contract spots available after RFAs are signed. And once we qualified him he couldn't walk away anyway

This deal does not affect the future of the flames in any way and is a could utility guy that doesn't hurt you in the line up.

Good signing.
Guaranteed money always matters. I myself would like to see a few more 2 ways than see guys like Byron hold a spot or sit in the pressbox. I guess there is always the chance of someone grabbing him on waivers, which helps the club also.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:06 PM   #45
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pleasantly surprised at the deal, was expecting a wee bit north of 1m. So where does Byron fit on the Flames going forward?

I originally thought this may have been his final year with the Flames, but I'm not entirely sure now that I think it over. For him to be displaced, a rookie would have to bump him off the roster. It's a tougher task than it seems at first because Paulie is just too important on the PK and in 4v4 - I don't see any of the tweener wingers replacing that. So while he's being mentioned for being perpetually snakebit, Byron isn't being deployed as a scorer anyway.

He's not really an aged vet, either. He's 26, the same age as Backlund, so he could arguably stick around for a while and mesh with the youth of the team. But the biggest thing for keeping him is that he's pretty cheap in comparison to what he offers your team. Next offseason, I think a lot of people will be going "Well, thank goodness at least Paulie's still cheap" when the big 3 massive core contracts kick off.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:11 PM   #46
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Pleasantly surprised at the deal, was expecting a wee bit north of 1m. So where does Byron fit on the Flames going forward?

I originally thought this may have been his final year with the Flames, but I'm not entirely sure now that I think it over. For him to be displaced, a rookie would have to bump him off the roster.
He was an every game player last season before his injury. But that was before Frolik and Bennett came along and pushed other forwards down the lineup. Byron's going to be very hard pressed to be an every game player this season when the roster is healthy.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:15 PM   #47
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Poor guy. If he was even 3 inches taller and could score on breakaways, he'd be a fan favourite.
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:28 PM   #48
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good deal for a good, useful player

And I think he'll shake the slump this year
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:28 PM   #49
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
He was an every game player last season before his injury. But that was before Frolik and Bennett came along and pushed other forwards down the lineup. Byron's going to be very hard pressed to be an every game player this season when the roster is healthy.
I would still pencil him ahead of Raymond, Granlund, Bollig and Shore TBH. Bollig being debatable depending on the matchup.

I suppose Ferland-Stajan-Jones would be the 4th line. Which means one of Bouma or Byron would go with the sheltered Bennett line, while the other takes on the tough minutes with Backlund (and probably Frolik).

My bet is that a possession darlings line of Byron-Backlund-Frolik gets put together to handle the dirty work, and Bouma sees an even greater point total this year taking on easy minutes with Bennett.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:35 PM   #50
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would still pencil him ahead of Raymond, Granlund, Bollig and Shore TBH. Bollig being debatable depending on the matchup.

I suppose Ferland-Stajan-Jones would be the 4th line. Which means one of Bouma or Byron would go with the sheltered Bennett line, while the other takes on the tough minutes with Backlund (and probably Frolik).

My bet is that a possession darlings line of Byron-Backlund-Frolik gets put together to handle the dirty work, and Bouma sees an even greater point total this year taking on easy minutes with Bennett.
You're missing Ferland and Colborne in this scenario.

Something's going to give before training camp, I think. 17 forwards for 14 spots. Even putting Byron ahead of four of them makes him the 13th forward and the odd man out on a lot of nights.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 07-26-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:39 PM   #51
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

i like it.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:48 PM   #52
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
You're missing Ferland and Colborne in this scenario.

Something's going to give before training camp, I think. 17 forrwards for 14 spots. Even putting Byron ahead of four of them makes him the 13th forward and the odd man out on a lot of nights.
Ferland I mentioned in my post, and Colborne I'm expecting will be Sam's RW like he was in the playoffs.

Byron's good in the 13th forward role. I think you switch him out with Bollig depending on the team. But the stats leave no doubt as to his ability as a possession driver, so that's why I feel like he makes a perfect linemate for Backlund and Frolik.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:51 PM   #53
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I think these are required for that graph!
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2015, 06:54 PM   #54
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ferland I mentioned in my post, and Colborne I'm expecting will be Sam's RW like he was in the playoffs.
Ah, OK. So you see Byron and Bollig being the 13th forward depending on the situation. Got it.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:57 PM   #55
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, its badly pixelated.

But generally, any time the blue bar is taller than the green one, it means Byron improved that player's possession when he was on the ice with them. And that's the case for all but 6 of the players.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:17 PM   #56
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love it. At best he's a terrific utility energy forward that you can throw anywhere in the lineup and get decent results. Worst case he gets pushed off the team and gets traded/waived. Very easy contract to move.

Nothing to not like here
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2015, 07:31 PM   #57
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
Poor guy. If he was even 3 inches taller and could score on breakaways, he'd be a fan favourite.
If he had the 30lbs to go with those 3 inches AND he scored on breakaways, he'd be a 30 goal guy making $6m a year.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:38 PM   #58
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
Guaranteed money always matters. I myself would like to see a few more 2 ways than see guys like Byron hold a spot or sit in the pressbox. I guess there is always the chance of someone grabbing him on waivers, which helps the club also.
How does losing a useful player being paid near league minimum on a one year contract for zero return help the club? I could see it if the Flames were in cap trouble this year, but they aren't. Saving a few bucks might help the bottom line, but it doesn't help the on ice product, which is all any fan should be concerned about. Give er hell Paulie!
Red Ice Player is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Ice Player For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2015, 10:23 PM   #59
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, lucky guy. I'd love to be making $900k.
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:03 AM   #60
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
I was hoping they would have walked away from Byron. Too small with too many players on one way deals.
Agreed. Really wish they had not qualified
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote