Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2015, 02:07 PM   #101
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I disagree with some of the Brossoit bashing, stating he would "never" have gotten a sniff of the NHL with Calgary. The guy had a very strong year in the AHL and is progressing nicely. The Flames do have some quality prospects in net but on paper he had a better year than Ortio our 5th ranked prospect. I don't make a habit of watching the oilers farm team so maybe the stats are deceiving.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 04:15 PM   #102
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
I understand it. I just think people that are trying to compare prospects 10-20 deep and saying this team or that team is better are just being obtuse.

The majority of those propsects don't pan out, and no one can really predict which ones do.

So anyone crowing that their team's prospects are unbelievably deep is almost cetainly just being a homer.
Yes, because those top five prospects have been the difference in Edmonton turning it around, and the Flames depth has had no impact on the team turning it around. Talk about being obtuse. The proof is right in front of you and you still can't see the obvious. The Oilers had a five year head start on their rebuild and the Flames passed them like they were standing still. What made that possible? Depth.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:30 PM   #103
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
So anyone crowing that their team's prospects are unbelievably deep is almost cetainly just being a homer.
At this point, you're just trolling. I've seen plenty of posts over the years about people "jealous" about other teams depth of prospects, it's not being a homer, it's just nice to have a lot of good quality up and coming players.

Your team has crap beyond a guy or two at the top and you're pumping that up more then anything, slighting guys ranked lower. So who's being the homer exactly?

Last edited by MrMastodonFarm; 07-26-2015 at 05:49 PM.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:55 AM   #104
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
At this point, you're just trolling. I've seen plenty of posts over the years about people "jealous" about other teams depth of prospects, it's not being a homer, it's just nice to have a lot of good quality up and coming players.

Your team has crap beyond a guy or two at the top and you're pumping that up more then anything, slighting guys ranked lower. So who's being the homer exactly?
Probably the guy that was saying Nemisz was capable of being a 20 goal scorer after his last NHL call up.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...=Nemisz&page=5

What followed was a classic tactic by yourself to try and attack and dogpile a poster because you don't like their opinion. That's just one example. They are pretty common to see in threads over the years I've posted here.

I've stated my opinion and will leave it at that.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
TKB
Old 07-27-2015, 10:04 AM   #105
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Probably the guy that was saying Nemisz was capable of being a 20 goal scorer after his last NHL call up.

What followed was a classic tactic by yourself to try and attack and dogpile a poster because you don't like their opinion. That's just one example. They are pretty common to see in threads over the years I've posted here.

From the thread..

Quote:
Caged Great

Nemisz at worst is a 4th line center in the NHL, and will be for 8-10 years at least.

He could develop into a 2nd/3rd line guy in the David Moss mold.

Definitely not someone you just ditch for sakes of ditching him.
Oops...
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:23 AM   #106
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Mage uses potion; deflection. Oil Stain is a tenth level deflector.

Last edited by MrMastodonFarm; 07-27-2015 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:51 AM   #107
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Don't know much about any of the prospects, so I'll have to take your guys' word that Winni looks good. I know a bunch of Jets fan friends are excited about the future.

Just going to weigh in on the depth vs. quality debate.

Given the chance you go quality, everytime, on a 1:1 basis, maybe even a 2-3:1. McDavid > * propsect. Having said that, you can't sell everything for the quality. It's a balancing act. It's not "all quality!" or "all depth!" you need solid, quality, blue-chip prospects. And you need depth where a lot of guys have potential to turn into NHLers. Any one of those 'under the radar' guys COULD be an impact NHLer. You need to play the odds, and the odds say buy more lottery tickets.

Debating which is more important is stupid. Both are important. A team without depth is a poor pool. A team with no quality blue-chip prospect is a poor pool.

EDM has some great players up and coming, but a poor pool overall.

Last edited by Benched; 07-27-2015 at 10:57 AM.
Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benched For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2015, 11:03 AM   #108
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can be a good team with a Blue chipper player, but to be a great team you need depth.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:10 AM   #109
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benched View Post

Debating which is more important is stupid. Both are important. A team without depth is a poor pool. A team with no quality blue-chip prospect is a poor pool.
Yeah, agreed. That's basically what everyone except for one Stain is doing.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2015, 11:45 AM   #110
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Yeah, agreed. That's basically what everyone except for one Stain is doing.
Being obtuse is a requirement to be an Oilers fan.

I mean, be excited about your top talent...but understand your organization could also improve in areas like prospect depth. It's OK to be critical about your team. You can still be a fan and believe there are things to improve on...
Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Benched For This Useful Post: