Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who will compete with the Flames soonest?
Winnipeg 162 88.04%
Edmonton 18 9.78%
Vancouver 4 2.17%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2015, 05:22 PM   #61
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
It wouldn't make a difference but maybe some of you wouldn't look so petty. Canucks and Oilers deserve it and I snipe them to, but do we need a bitch thread for every Canadian team in the league? It's getting to that point.

Its kind of sad how some sit here and talk about how classless x y z fan base is and then on the other hand turn around and whine in multiple team based bitch threads like a pack of old housewives. Is there an inferiority complex that we need cut every Canadian team down a peg if they start showing any signs of success? lol. Anyways enjoy yourself different strokes for different folks I guess.
I don't understand this post.

...or maybe I am struggling to see through my blinding hatred of other Canadian NHL franchises. Is there anything more Canadian than hating other Canadian NHL teams? (Well, except for Ottawa, because ... Ottawa ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2015, 05:29 PM   #62
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

- I don't see Ehlers as a super-prospect, might be a good top 6er. Kyle Connor might be their best prospect otoh. I was real annoyed when he miraculously fell to them.

- Hellybuyck scares me. It'll be nice if he doesn't pan out.

- Their blueline depth doesn't scare me. Trouba/Myers/Morrisey is okay, but I feel more comfortable with Brodie/Hamilton/Hickey.

- Jets fans around the internet are pretty obnoxious with their advanced stats. It's funny, because even Kings fans, whose team is an advanced stats God, don't argue they're the end-all be-all, but not Jets fans. Jets fans are a hive mind of Fenwick-Close.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2015, 05:34 PM   #63
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am comfortable in hating the Jets as much as I hate the Oilers, Canucks and Riders.
Howie_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Howie_16 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2015, 08:05 PM   #64
TX_Flame
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudog View Post
I think being in their division would catapult it.

I agree, from what I understand both fan basses like each others team. We cheered for each other in the playoffs.
I definitely did.
TX_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TX_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2015, 08:11 PM   #65
TX_Flame
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Ummm, no. The Flames fans, if anything, under-expected vis-a-vis Gaudreau and debated whether Bennett should even play this year after his injury. Plus Bennett was a number 3 OAP who could have easily been a number 1.

A better comparable for some having high expectations for a mid-range pick like Ehlers is probably Sven.
Bennett was a #4.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:16 PM   #66
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hated them in the 80s more than Vancouver, and I still hate them now. The city is even worse than Edmonton and they can shove all their prospects up their Hawerchuk.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2015, 10:13 PM   #67
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'll assume all the people who don't hate Winnipeg are too young to have grown up in the 80s.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:20 PM   #68
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

I can't put my finger on it - but I find the Jets irritating.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2015, 10:22 PM   #69
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudog View Post
...from what I understand both fan basses like each others team. We cheered for each other in the playoffs.
I sure as hell didn't. For the (very, very short) duration of Winnipeg's pathetic playoff appearance I was hoping the franchise would somehow implode into non-existence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2015, 10:25 PM   #70
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Flame View Post
I definitely did.
well, I cheered for Winnipeg so the Flames would have an easy route to the conference final. I have no idea why jets fans were cheering for calgary
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:56 PM   #71
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
I don't think the Jets' future is nearly as bright as portrayed by the media, and the general hockey world. It's not that they're bad. In fact I would say the thread title is wrong. They are "good." But just good. I just can't get hyped about Ladd-Little-Wheeler, Enstrom-Myers today. They get a lot of credit for having prospects who are TSN darlings and World junior superstars.
TSN says the Jets have the best prospect pool, however that really remains to be seen. If Hellebuyck, Morrissey, and Ehlers live up to the hype surrounding them, the Jets could become a Stanley Cup contender. The real test will be keeping the star players (Trouba, Ladd, Scheifele, etc).

Winnipeg let Frolik go, and kept Stafford. I'm not too impressed with that move.

I don't think the Oilers will compete for a playoff spot for another couple of years. Vancouver is on the decline.
Jets4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:03 PM   #72
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
I think the biggest obstacle impeding the Jets success is the division they play in. They can have a pretty good regular season and still only makes the playoffs as a wildcard.

/As far as the poll is concerned, I don't mind the Jets, of course having a relative who helped them to a AVCO Cup in their final WHA season likely sways my vote.

Lukowich?
Old 07-28-2015, 11:05 PM   #73
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
well, I cheered for Winnipeg so the Flames would have an easy route to the conference final. I have no idea why jets fans were cheering for calgary

They were playing the Canucks?
Old 07-28-2015, 11:06 PM   #74
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Lukowich?
Ding ding ding!
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2015, 11:23 PM   #75
BigRed
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Morris Lukowich was my hero as a kid growing up in Winnipeg! One of them, anyway.

Still, eff the Jets.
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigRed For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2015, 03:50 AM   #76
TX_Flame
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
Well, that too. I also was super happy for the 'Peg when they (sort of) got their team back. I want it to be a successful one.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:10 AM   #77
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mostly don't understand hating teams or rivals.

My dislike for Edmonton has nothing to do with them being a rival, and everything to do with them playing disgracefully bad hockey year after year, while getting rewarded for it. They have tried their best to ruin a good string of solid hockey prospects, and in many cases succeeded. Their fans and management display a level of arrogance and ignorance I have literally never seen anywhere in sports.

I also hated the dirty divers that the Canucks used to be. But they never got rewarded for it in recognition or a cup. Instead they became universally despised, which was justice served. Now IMO they're quite average in terms of diving and dirty play, so I've pretty much started despising them.

I want us to beat them because they're a rival and for that reason I like the fact that they're getting worse. But that's really more about me wanting the Flames to do well. A bad Canucks team directly benefits us.

If I have to choose, I'd rather see cities with solid hockey fanbases win than some other cities. They know and love their hockey in Winnipeg, so as long as they don't get in our way, I don't mind them doing well.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2015, 09:41 AM   #78
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post

- Hellybuyck scares me. It'll be nice if he doesn't pan out.
Why? Does a solid goaltender suddenly push Winnipeg above Anaheim in difficulty? If yes, then maybe that's frustrating, but overall if they're below Anaheim and neither of us beat that team, it doesn't matter yet. Both teams are still growing.

Great goalies help, but aren't the only part the strengths of a team. I'm not afraid of the Montreal Carey Price. I'm not afraid of the Winnipeg Jets with Hellybuyck as I presume Ortio will rise at about the same time to nullify that improvement.

I see both teams rising about the same speed (which is fast in comparison to other franchises in our conference) but give the edge to Calgary due to homer vote as well as more game breaking ability of our roster players.

As for hating other teams, I don't often hate teams for their team. I hate their fans.

Spoiler!

Honestly, I abhor the idea that one fan has to make themselves feel better by dragging another fan by really beating them down. I have chirped other fans and had the same done to me. I've lost plenty a bet and won a few as well. Everyone ends up leaving laughing together. THAT IMO is a great rivalry. Making someone feel like crap beyond the 24-48 hours of a game played, that's just low and I wouldn't want to affiliate myself with such people; even if they're flames fans.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:42 AM   #79
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...=winnipeg+pits
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:46 AM   #80
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
I can't put my finger on it - but I find the Jets irritating.
There are some jerks on that team. Media guys get mouthed off in that locker room pretty often - ask Rob Kerr
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote