Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2015, 05:29 PM   #1
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2015-16 NBC and NBCSN schedule.

The signature Wednesday night rivalry games will be on every week through out the season and there will be six doubleheaders on that night.

There will also be a weekly Tuesday game with the odd doubleheader.

Sunday games will commence after the NFL regular season ends. The morning and afternnon games will be on NBC with evening games on NBCSN.

Here is the link.
http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2015/07/27/nbc-sports-group-to-air-105-nhl-regular-season-games-in-2015-16-2/

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hwy19man For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2015, 06:01 PM   #2
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should call this something other than "Rivalry Night". Washington vs. Detroit? Really?
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:45 PM   #3
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm surprised that McDavid is only going to be on TV for one game when he plays McEichel. McEichel has 12 appearances which makes sense but no McDavid other than the Buffalo game is kinda weird.

Also surprised with no Calgary games. I would have thought for sure we would have gotten one game featuring a US team just because of Gaudreau.
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:36 AM   #4
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

NHL never learns, get your stars on tv!

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:12 AM   #5
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran403 View Post
I'm surprised that McDavid is only going to be on TV for one game when he plays McEichel. McEichel has 12 appearances which makes sense but no McDavid other than the Buffalo game is kinda weird.

Also surprised with no Calgary games. I would have thought for sure we would have gotten one game featuring a US team just because of Gaudreau.
McEichel?

Maybe you overestimate Gaudreau's cachet outside of Calgary. As bad a draw as Edmonton would be in the US, if they only get one game with McDavid it's probably not realistic to expect much for the Flames/Gaudreau.

Last edited by Ruttiger; 07-28-2015 at 08:20 AM.
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:24 AM   #6
darthma
Scoring Winger

Location: Down by the sea, where the watermelons grow, back to my home, I dare not go...
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
McEichel?

Maybe you overestimate Gaudreau's cachet outside of Calgary. As bad a draw as Edmonton would be in the US, if they only get one game with McDavid it's probably not realistic to expect much for the Flames/Gaudreau.
What about the Gaudreau poster they had in Philly? Where they drew a moustache on him? Tried finding the image but couldn't. He's got his following in the US.
darthma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:29 AM   #7
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthma View Post
What about the Gaudreau poster they had in Philly? Where they drew a moustache on him? Tried finding the image but couldn't. He's got his following in the US.
I'm sure he does. Schlemko probably does too. But enough to convince the network to put him on as the draw for a nationally televised game? Doubtful.
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:20 AM   #8
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
NHL never learns, get your stars on tv!
Doesn't work on the states. Hockey is a niche regional game down there so you need to play the big draws to get your ratings
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:27 AM   #9
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Oh, it has nothing to do with being a regional game either. ESPN's national MLB telecasts are pretty much only a rehash of the same seven or eight teams as well. It's all about pandering to the big viewing markets.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:31 AM   #10
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

So the NBA is doing it right? OK Thunder and GS Warriors are on tv a lot because they are good and the NBA wants to showcase Durant and Curry. Clippers have been featured more as well and they were bad forever.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:48 AM   #11
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

NBC has a top notch hockey broadcast. Lightyears ahead of Sportsnet.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:51 AM   #12
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So the NBA is doing it right? OK Thunder and GS Warriors are on tv a lot because they are good and the NBA wants to showcase Durant and Curry. Clippers have been featured more as well and they were bad forever.
NBA is a star league with distinctive star players. For a casual fan, how do you tell Crosby from Bonino? We know their numbers, skating stride and body type. The casual viewer in the US just doesn't. The last player to truly be a draw was Gretzky despite numerous attempts at it with other players
Old 07-28-2015, 11:52 AM   #13
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Oh, it has nothing to do with being a regional game either. ESPN's national MLB telecasts are pretty much only a rehash of the same seven or eight teams as well. It's all about pandering to the big viewing markets.
Because the regions with the biggest viewership get the most ratings. To me, that makes it regional
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2015, 03:28 AM   #14
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
McEichel?

Gaudreau is more recognized in Boston than Bergeron and probably just as popular and that isn't his home town, the kid still has a cult following.

NBC screwed up here.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:28 AM   #15
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
Gaudreau is more recognized in Boston than Bergeron and probably just as popular and that isn't his home town, the kid still has a cult following.

NBC screwed up here.
Any evidence to back this up?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:43 AM   #16
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post

NBC screwed up here.
I strongly doubt this. Bergeron has led Boston to Stanley Cup appearances and President trophies, won the Selke 3 times, is a two time Canadian gold medalist, and was on the cover of NHL 15. That's what it takes to be recognized in a major US city.

I agree that Gaudreau has a cult following but by definition, that means a small yet passionate fan base. Gaudreau's Twitter followers (37.8k) don't even match up to Torey Krug (67.9k), a much worse player than Bergeron.
burnitdown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burnitdown For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2015, 09:54 AM   #17
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
NBA is a star league with distinctive star players. For a casual fan, how do you tell Crosby from Bonino? We know their numbers, skating stride and body type. The casual viewer in the US just doesn't. The last player to truly be a draw was Gretzky despite numerous attempts at it with other players
But the casual viewer will never become a real viewer if they only show 6 teams (ir)regardless of how goes those 6 teams are.

Why can't the NHL be a star league and have distinctive players? I think Ovechkin, and Johnny Hockey are distinctive!

The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2015, 03:07 PM   #18
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran403 View Post
I think you are overestimating Gaudreau here. Don't get me wrong, I think he's going to be a very good player for years to come and may be able to build a nationwide reputation. But right now, I think he is limited to the people that like him from college in Boston and the people in the Philly area who know him as a home town boy. And I think in both cases, only die hard hockey fans will be able to make that distinction.

I've had the opportunity to live in 3 disparate parts of the states in the last 10 years, and I have found very few that could name hockey players not named Ovechkin or Crosby.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:50 PM   #19
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
I think you are overestimating Gaudreau here. Don't get me wrong, I think he's going to be a very good player for years to come and may be able to build a nationwide reputation. But right now, I think he is limited to the people that like him from college in Boston and the people in the Philly area who know him as a home town boy. And I think in both cases, only die hard hockey fans will be able to make that distinction.

I've had the opportunity to live in 3 disparate parts of the states in the last 10 years, and I have found very few that could name hockey players not named Ovechkin or Crosby.
I was at the Rangers/Devils/Islanders games last year and the local fans were VERY aware and knowledgeable of Mr Gaudreau.

Not saying that warrants a nationally televised game or anything, but he is definitely well known in hockey circles in the eastern US.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:32 PM   #20
TX_Flame
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
But the casual viewer will never become a real viewer if they only show 6 teams (ir)regardless of how goes those 6 teams are.

Why can't the NHL be a star league and have distinctive players? I think Ovechkin, and Johnny Hockey are distinctive!
You had it right without the (ir). "Irregardless" is not an actual word.
TX_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote