Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2015, 04:59 PM   #21
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Monahan becomes what we think he will become (and all the signs point towards it) I'd be happy to give him $6.5 per on a long term deal.

If he regularly puts up 60 to 70 to 80 points though, he might command more than $6.5 and things could get dicey at that point with Johnny & Bennett coming up also.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:19 PM   #22
herashak
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

i think monahan and gaudreau sign for a bit less next summer at that term. Stepan is mid twenties and a bit more proven, albeit maybe his potential is lower than gaudreau and monahan.
herashak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:59 AM   #23
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
i think monahan and gaudreau sign for a bit less next summer at that term. Stepan is mid twenties and a bit more proven, albeit maybe his potential is lower than gaudreau and monahan.
Stepan's career high in 5 seasons is 57pts, Gaudreau(64) and Monahan(62) already beat him as a rookie and a sophomore, I know points don't always tell the story but he has a weak crappy shot and isn't good at face offs either, all he's proven so far is his ability to make big money.

Another brutal contract.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:28 AM   #24
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is it did me or did this sh*t get it of control quick?

I realize this is the norm - hell, I spent one hazy morning after a 14 hour shift on no sleep debating Gio's worth using % of the projected cap as the basis of my argument....... But we'd better pray to the hockey gods, Xenu, maybe even Tom Cruise himself that guys like Money, Johnny, Bennett and even Gio and Hudler REALLY believe in the group we have together and want to be here.

It's no stretch to suggest 13&23's agents are looking at the contracts of Tarasenko & O'Reilly and going full SuccessKid.jpg after doing some quick mental math for a ballpark of their commission.

AFAIK, they are technically already in the final year of their contracts, so negotiations could(should[better]) be underway already - if I'm wrong please correct me. Max term buys 2(13) and 3(23) years of UFA I believe, for two budding stars who've shown the type of constant progression that's blown those of us who've stayed grounded (or at least tried to) away. I've mocked the Oil 6x6 to the point I almost got sick of it, but those numbers would be downright incredible. Bridges in the 3-4 year range that would take them close to RFA could lower those numbers substantially, but I'd be scared to see the next contract, or even worse, lack of them. A lot hinges on the Gio deal and how BT sees the pieces fitting together. I'd imagine different scenarios are already being discussed with both guys and are heavily dependant on the outcome of negotiations with the captain.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:33 AM   #25
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good players get good money. Monahan and Gaudreau are good players. They're going to get paid a lot, and it's not going to kill us.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:37 AM   #26
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we extend Sean and Johnny now or do we have to wait until Jan 1st?

I'd like to sign them both to 8 X $7M now before it gets really out of hand.
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:48 AM   #27
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
Can we extend Sean and Johnny now or do we have to wait until Jan 1st?

I'd like to sign them both to 8 X $7M now before it gets really out of hand.
No
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:49 AM   #28
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Compare it to Kesler, Krejci, and O'Reilly and this is a steal.

Remember elite players cost over $8.5 million now, so for a good first liner $6.5 isn't crazy.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:09 AM   #29
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Compare it to Kesler, Krejci, and O'Reilly and this is a steal.

Remember elite players cost over $8.5 million now, so for a good first liner $6.5 isn't crazy.
Stepan is probably the 4th best player of the guys you mentioned and has never had 30 goals or 60 points (he has scored 20 goals once, a 21 goal season). I'm not even sure he is a legit 1st liner, especially if that list of comparables is not.

Last edited by RyZ; 07-28-2015 at 09:13 AM.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:10 AM   #30
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Another overpaid contract... maybe 5.5 per would be right.. Cost of living is high in the area which makes a difference I suppose
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote